MOTOR TREND- Corvette Z06 Vs. M3 Vs. Boxter S

vettemaan
07-07-2001, 10:51 PM
:rolleyes: Looks like Motor Trend says the M3 is better than the Z06 in a performance test! they clearly say on the cover

"Who's the NEW KING of

Power
Handling
Braking"

here's the stats.
0-60- Corvette wins (4.2)
0-100-0- Corvette wins (14.01)
Braking- Corvette wins (105ft from 60)
Slalom- Corvette and M3 TIE (68.99)
Skidpad- Corvette wins (1.00)
Road Course- Corvette wins (59.50)

hmm you would THINK the vette wins this "performance compairason" but here is what mt has to say...

Even though the M3 didn't quite match the miximum-strenght Corvette's track performance, you will need radar timing gear to tell the differance. as relivant as lap times are to how we evaluate cars, nobody drives around in a helmet and nomex every day, even when cutting up a really great road. BMW's limited-edition M3 offers the look, fit, feel, finish, hardware, and performance to make it one of the greatest performance cars of all time. Plus, it delivers a big helping of european raciness thats simply intoxicating. the fact that its all available for less than $50K and will perform double duty as an every day for 4 real humans makes it our unanimous victor in this round of performance wars.

i bet Van Tune had the idea if the corvette beats it in everything we can just use the 4 seat thing! what a joke!

VTEC V6
07-07-2001, 11:15 PM
hmm, wonder why i havent got the issue yet, guess i gotta check my mailbox :p

they actually listed 4.2 0-60? last time they tested the Z06 they put 4.5 0-60or somethin like that

the M3 in my opinion is a more practical everyday car compared to the vette, it does just about everything almost as well as the Vette but with more class, and in a better more daily driver friendly package, plus it has some nice features, like, the tiptronic auto, xenon headlights, etc.

and it looks badass!!!

all for around the same price as a vette

vettemaan
07-07-2001, 11:21 PM
but none of that is performance.

VTEC V6
07-07-2001, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by vettemaan
but none of that is performance.

performance isn't everything

and the performance difference between the 2 cars is very, very small

vettemaan
07-07-2001, 11:39 PM
accualy its quite large and this test is about "performance wars"

Z06
0-60- 4.24
0-100- 9.88
1/4 mile-12.64 @113.89MPH
60-0 ft- 105
skidpad- 1.00
slalom- 68.99 MPH

M3
0-60- 4.65
0-100- 11.61
1/4 mile- 13.18@ 106.92 MPH
60-0 ft- 111
skidpad- 0.89
slalom- 68.99 MPH

differances
0-60- 0.41 (corvette wins)
0-100- 1.37 seconds (corvette wins)
1/4 mile- 0.54 seconds and 6.97 MPH (corvette wins)
60-0 ft- 6 ft (corvette wins)
skidpad-0.11 (corvette wins)
slalom- 0.0 (BMW and Corvette TIE)

VTEC V6
07-07-2001, 11:43 PM
hmm, u make some good points

yet Motor Trend still chose the M3 as the winner

I think they know what they're doing

vettemaan
07-07-2001, 11:52 PM
why because they are "motor trend" they are people too and as you proabaly know if you are a regular motor trend reader Mr. Tune is a 3 series fanatic! look what this guy from the corvette forum wrote to them

Your "Speed Wars" (Aug '01) was truly, as advertised, a "no-holds-barred" contest! The "beer-and-hot dogs" Corvette Z06 had the "intoxicating" BMW M3 on the ropes right from the first bell, and just as its death blow was about to put the BMW out of misery, the M3 unleashed its secret weapon - a BACK SEAT! Well, everyone knew it was over then. That was about as good as any pro 'rasslin' match I've seen, and just as believable.

The M3 managed to tie the Z06 in only one event while being soundly whipped in all the others. You would have us believe "you need radar timing gear to tell the difference", but, for example, the 0.54sec difference in their quarter mile performances translates to about 85 feet in a side-by-side drag race. No radar gear needed, just bring tissues. Ironically, adding another 400lbs of stoked yuppy butt to that all-important back seat would certainly turn this 'Bahnstormer into little more than plebeian transportation.

You don't like the quality of the Z06 interior? For $47k you can "match fenders" with a $225k Ferrari and you're sweating the decor? Why do you think the Z06 is so affordable, gov't subsidy? And what's that got to do with a "Speed War" anyway?
On your cover you promised we'd learn inside "Who's the new king of Power? Handling? Braking?". Well, WE did. I'm just not too suer about YOU.

VTEC V6
07-07-2001, 11:57 PM
hah, he sure showed them!!

man cant wait for this issue

u said this is a new issue? what month?

dammit i think they cancelled my free subscription of motor trend and car and driver :mad:

josedi
07-08-2001, 12:07 AM
Hmm that is a dumb comparisson if you ask me. I am not a big American Sports cars fan, but i have seen the Z06 in person, performing and i must say it is an awesome machine. Beutiful lines, nice interior, And power to kick alot of ass in the streets or a track. BMW makes some of the best "ALL AROUND" cars, Like the M5, M3 and MZ3. But they are not true Sports cars, Simply Luxury cars with power engines. now the Z8 vs the Z06 would of been a more realistic comparisson if you ask me. anyhow i don't know what my point was so i am leaving now..I love the Z06 and i love the M3, but i would not compare them personally. If i wanted Performance i would get the Z06, if i wanted a fast luxu, grocery getter it would definitely be the m3. Now Slap a RENTECH Stage 5 kit on that M3 and it would be a different story.:flash:

VTEC V6
07-08-2001, 12:11 AM
or how bout dropping the M5 5.0L 394hp V8 in the M3

i think its been done some dude said he saw it at a show somewhere on another forum

Lizard King
07-08-2001, 07:17 AM
This was a bullshit comparison from the start. Why have a performance comparison and give the win to the car which performs less and is practical?

The Z06 has no family car pretentions, it is a sportscar and should not be marked down for practicality when it has no intentions of being a practical car. The Z06 is for enthusiasts, and while the M3 is too, this comparison seems to be aimed at the type of people who drive these cars to pose.

We knew before the comparison that the M3 had 4 seats -- and we also knew that the Z06 was king on the track. So the comparison is worthless.

MT are just journalists, you shouldn't take what they say as gospel.

I also think that the Z06 should have had a bigger lead in the performance testing. I believe that MT are biased towards the M3.

Racer 20
07-08-2001, 01:35 PM
The M3 IS "better" at every thing. Unless your at the track you will probably never use the full potential of the ZO6. And it all depends on the driver. I've been in cars that claim 0-60 in less than 4 secs. But it's only at certain times when you get the full preformance of the car. Plus it's not just MT, R&T said the M3 was better than the ZO6 also. Plus the ZO6 doesn't exactly rape the M3 in preformace. It's like saying the NSX is better than the R34 GT-R because the preformance numbers are beter for stright line preformance. Sheeesh. :) That guy may be a 3 series fanatic but aren't you the same with the "V10 Killer?" :D Sorry lol. Had to trough that in. :)

igor@af
07-08-2001, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Racer 20
It's like saying the NSX is better than the R34 GT-R because the preformance numbers are beter for stright line preformance.

*Gets on a defensive*

NO!!!

GT-R does 0-60 in 4.7... how fast is NSX?

:smoker2:

VTEC V6
07-08-2001, 03:49 PM
lol, i just checked out his page!!

i really thought he owned a corvette and all and thought that was his on the frontpage, then when i read the hate mail i found out hes just 16 :p

man the guy who wrote the supposed "Hate Mail" is so right about everything, and vetteman's 8 reasons to get a corvette are so lame, theyre just opinions with no hard facts

and how can a corvette be a v10 killer? its gots to be seriously modified

remember that motor trend or car and driver test on the Z06, Cobra R, and the Viper, they got a base Viper and the top model Corvette and Cobra to compete with it and the Viper still won!

and i would consider hate mail to be something more like a guy cussing u out and dissin the site in everyway with no real facts on why he hates the site, the guy in the hate mail page is jus stating facts

vettemaan
07-08-2001, 06:04 PM
hahaha, i wont even argue with you, lets face it, i cant change your mind and you cant change mine!

S Brake
07-08-2001, 07:58 PM
I agree with Vettemaan, I read the article and saw the show where motor trend did the comparo. This was indeed a performance test and the Corvette did indeed out perform the M3 and the Boxter. I feel that the winner was the Z06, but i still love the M3. if given the chance to own either the vette or the bimmer, i don't know which one i would chose. but the Z06 is clearly the better performer of the trio.

VTEC V6
07-08-2001, 08:36 PM
hey i just checked my mail box and found a car and driver with a corvette, m roadster, slk320 amg, and a boxster on the front cover and it says as the title

IS THE CORVETTE STILL KING?

Racer 20
07-11-2001, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by VTEC V6

IS THE CORVETTE STILL KING?

uhhh ya. :)

vettemaan
07-11-2001, 03:45 AM
m roadster, slk320 amg, and a boxster hahahahahahahaha :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: hahahahahahahaha :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: hahahahahahahaha :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: hahahahahahahaha :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: hahahahahahahaha :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: hahahahahahahaha :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: hahahahahahahaha :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: hahahahahahahaha :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Jay!
07-11-2001, 03:58 AM
I voted for the boxter [sic.] S because I'm a jackass, and I don't read Motor Trend. It's got the best tailpipe. ;)

VTEC V6
07-11-2001, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Racer 20

uhhh ya. :)

that was the title on the mag [edit - Got Milk? - igor] i wasnt asking

read the post before commenting

vettemaan
07-14-2001, 02:43 PM
your a [edit - human being like everyone else here:rolleyes: - igor] .

Jay!
07-16-2001, 12:42 AM
LOL!!! :hehehe: That's better than some of the stuff they dub on TV!!! :hehe:

Racer 20
07-17-2001, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by VTEC V6

that was the title on the mag [edit - Got Milk? - igor] i wasnt asking

read the post before commenting

I'm sorry, is it that time of the month for you, motherfu... errr... Accord driver?

vettemaan
07-17-2001, 04:26 AM
hrm igor you edit that but yet we can have these HAHAHAHA:flipa: :finger: :flipa: :finger: :flipa: :finger: :flipa: :finger: :flipa: :finger: (not meant for you igor :))

vettemaan
07-17-2001, 04:29 AM
alittle hipicritical ydont ya think i mean idi** is alittle less offensive than :finger: :flipa:

PookJP
07-24-2001, 03:56 PM
There is more to a car than numbers, my friends. Let me ask you this:

who would you be more impressed by-
An Olympic diver
or
An Olympic diver who is also a Concert Pianist?

It is not enough to declare victory only by winning in one area. That the M3 can match the Z06 while being wrapped in a luxurious, sophistacted package is nothing short of amazing. The Z06 has a slight advantage over the M3 in some areas, so what? It lacks the refinement, comfort, build quality, and engineering of the M3. For that reason the M3 wins, not because of strict numbers.

S Brake
07-24-2001, 11:01 PM
Ok, I understand that the M3 is more refined and all that crap, BUT this wasn't a test of the best all around vehicle, this was purely a test based on performance, and the Z06 did our perform the other 2 in almost every test, it tied the M3 in the slalom. in actuality the Z06 was the winner of this "performance" test.

Lizard King
07-25-2001, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by PookJP

who would you be more impressed by-
An Olympic diver
or
An Olympic diver who is also a Concert Pianist?

I dunno, but I wouldn't expect a divers piano abilities to influence the judges in a diving event.

PookJP
07-25-2001, 04:42 PM
Lizard King,

Point taken, but you are attacking a flawed metaphor and not on the actual point being made. Here's a better one: Who would be judged more favorably-

An Olympic ice skater wearing a beautiful outfit
or
An Olympid ice skater wearing a sweat suit
each doing identical performances.

You cannot ignore the package that contains the performance in a car. A more refined car that performs the same as a less refined car is a better car. Period.

-Pook

enzo@af
07-25-2001, 04:54 PM
This is a slippery slope here. But, the two ice skaters didn't do the same performances, did they? One did a triple axle in less time, one's sow cow was much tighter, and One has more horsepower:huh: Sure, if all three cars performed exactly the same it might be different.

That being said, was this the "performance" test between the two, or the all around comparo? I've read so many M3 vs 'vette comparo's I don't remember them all. Tough choice.

Lizard King
07-25-2001, 04:56 PM
The skater in the beautiful outfit is the Z06, right?

I see your point, but they are marking down the Z06 for things that the car has no desire to be. It has no family car pretentions - it is a sports car with decades of heritage. It has the glorious LS6 engine and killer performance.

And for the record, I believe that the magazine is biased and I also believe that the Z06 should have been further ahead in performance than it was.

Jay!
07-25-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Lizard King
...I also believe that the Z06 should have been further ahead in performance than it was.

MT Tester: "No, really, that's as fast as it goes. My foot is all the way down, I swear! Stupid Americans! Muah-hah-hahahah!"

hermunn123
07-25-2001, 10:33 PM
One did a triple axle in less time, one's sow cow was much tighter

hahahahahaha....
i sure hope you dont know the difference between a triple axle and sow cow is. all they do is jump up and spin around and hopefully bite it real hard.

Kurtdg19
11-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Yeah that article has some issues. How can you name a car that performed worse than another the winner, in a performance comparison? Thats silly. Kinda like (this event may not be real) The Z06 beat the M3 by 3 seconds on the race event, but since the quality and craftsmenship of the M3 is better, it gets 5 seconds dropped off its time........result, OMG the M3 beat the Z06!! Finally.......

That really sounds like somthing you would see in an episode of the simpsons, not in real life, nevermind that, it did happen, the M3 did win. "Welcome to CrazyWorld" sounds like a better title of that article what do you guys think?

Does motortrend require their journalist to know the difference between a car and a truck? Well they certainly know the difference between 2 and 4 seats.

crayzayjay
11-04-2003, 09:48 AM
This thread had been dead for over two years!!! :disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!