Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Suspension lift on chevy silverado

jimmydager
04-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey,
I had a few questions for you guys and was wondering if you could help. I am hoping to lift my 92 chevy silverado 4wd truck about 2 inches or so. I want a suspension lift on it and want to do it for as cheap as possible. I have been looking at the reindixed torsion keys and was wondering what you guys thought of them? Are there any draw backs to installing these? Will I need new shocks with these? what size tire do you think I can clear if I just install 2" blocks on the back and crank up the front 2"? What precautions should I take when installing this? Have any of you ever installed one and if so, how hard was it? do you have any pictures of a 2" lift on a chevy silverado? ANy other information you could give me on these lifts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Jimmy Dager

TexasF355F1
04-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Do a search, (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/search.php?) there are endless threads on the what lifts are good and what lifts are bad. The pros and cons of cheap way vs 'the way' it should be done, and etc.

v10_viper
04-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Do a search, (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/search.php?) there are endless threads on the what lifts are good and what lifts are bad. The pros and cons of cheap way vs 'the way' it should be done, and etc.

DON'T DOUBLE POST!!! Haha just messin with ya Tex. We've all made that mistake.

Congrats on the truck man, tell us more about it. I have the same year and all and cranked my torsion bars up about 4 months ago, it raised it according to the bumper height when i measured, about 3/4 of an inch on one side, and 7/8" on the other side, it wasn't equal to start out with so i made sure she was level on both sides, was the cause to my truck having an unlevel appearance on perfectly flat ground.

If I were you I'd go ahead and replace the torsion bar keys, not the easiest but it's fairly inexpensive, just becareful doing it, and maybe do a rear add a leaf. Don't do blocks, they're shitty for your suspension, cheap but I'm against them. Add a leaf should give you around an inch or more, plus i'd want to raise the front two inches, rear an inch, give it a more level appearance once again. Rough Country has a 2-3" kit for about 500 bucks, but the front suspension is focused on a lot and you replace some control arms and that. They have a front end leveling kit for like, 180 bucks that is new torsion bars and all.

Oh, and tires you should be able to clear 285/75/16's (33" tire) fairly easy. I know a kid who has these on his truck and it's completly stock, a 97 Z71 extended cab I believe. 305/70/16 are same height basically but much wider, and on the proper rim I believe that these will fit with minor rubbing, but you can take care of that. I know a janitor at our school who has 32/11.50/15's on his truck and it's stock and he says they dont rub, just be careful if you go with a mud tire that's really aggressive.

Moose is loose
04-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Go here:http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/fordkeys.shtml
That will give you some idea of what to expect when changing out the keys. It's very easy, I did mine in less than 45 minutes. Just be VERY careful. Those bars can easily kill you when loading or unloading them. Buy a 7-Ton puller, a socket for the puller, and an 18mm socket for the key adjusters, a jack, jackstands and your set. A new set of keys will run you 40-50$ from Ford. The adda leafs or blocks for the rear are roughly 35-50$ a set. Your stock shocks will work fine up to a 2-2.5" lift. After that, invest in a new extended set. Good luck!

v10_viper
04-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Just be VERY careful.

I don't think that any of us can stress this enough...those torsion bars have a hell of a lot of force resting in them.

TexasF355F1
04-05-2005, 10:36 AM
DON'T DOUBLE POST!!! Haha just messin with ya Tex. We've all made that mistake.
Don't know how it happened. It's been taken care of. :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!