Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ESC module missing on 1982 2.8L?

knishiya
04-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi, i wonder if the Electronic spark control module is missing on my 1982 chev s-10 2.8L. I dont see it on the firewall, as pictured in chiltons. could it have been intentionallly removed and bypassed? i read one forum that thats what they did back then? Also, I replaced the ignition module in the distributor. It that the ESC module? When i removed the ignition module, one of the connectors was not connected. Intentional or not? not sure, i plugged all connectors back into the new ignition module. runs the same. crappy. no numbers come up in diagnosis.

sector95
04-05-2005, 11:31 PM
You must have a California truck..... because the rest of the country didn't get the electronic spark control until the mid-late 80's; my '85 uses good old-fashioned centrifugal and vacuum advance. Unless this was some misguided attempt at a home grown "perfomance" mod, the only way your spark advance will work is with the ESC installed..... it's no wonder it runs crappy. I suspect maybe folks were using old-style mechanical/vacuum advance-type distributors in place of the stock unit.....

Mike

knishiya
04-07-2005, 10:28 AM
thanks for the reply, yep, its cal emissions, sucks. and i need to get it past smog. maybe i should register it in mexico! Ive been trying to locate the ESC in my 82 s-10 2.8L cal model. In the books they say its on the firewall at the rear of the engine? However, in Haynes book there is no pick. They talk about about it but very vauge. Any help would be appreciated.

knishiya
04-15-2005, 10:08 PM
i called the dealership and no esc module exists for my model. guess i dont have one.

Add your comment to this topic!