Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

merc marauder engine

0311_lifer
04-03-2005, 05:30 PM
alright i know this might sound crazy but in like 5 years after my car's warranty is expired every thing is paid off etc i think i will start modding it by dropping the mercury marauder engine in it. i have a question about the 4.6l DOHC engine in the mercury marauder. im not sure where or how i would be able to get a hold of a new one that far in the future and i bet it will be hard but i was curious besides a new exhaust system and mercury marauder torque converter in the transmission air box, maf, and zip tube what else would have to be done to the car. any one have an estimated price on the total it would take for the swap and tune. also how difficult would it be to do this job ? the car it would be getting dropped in is a 2004 crown vic sport.

ModMech
04-03-2005, 05:34 PM
For an '04 Sport, you will need only the MM airbox/MAF and zip tube, everything else will be ok. The engine, cooling system, wire harness and labor will set you back about $5,000 (assuming you pick up a used engine for about $1000).

0311_lifer
04-03-2005, 05:59 PM
why a new cooling system ? id like to buy new parts like a new engine, cooling system, and wiring harness. im going to be home in va by the time ill be doing this swap in northern virginia does any one know any where in that area that would do this work and do it right ? id be willing to spend up to $8,000 on this. can any one help point me in the right direction ?

ModMech
04-03-2005, 06:12 PM
The radiator is the same, that's it, everything else about the cooling system is different.

Just so you know, there will NOT be a huge performance change from the '04 2V (stock PI) engine to the '04 4V Marauder engine. In fact, if I were you, I would get an '05 3V GT engine over the MM engine hands down. Same Hp and WAY more Tq to move that heavy beast off the line.

0311_lifer
04-03-2005, 06:29 PM
in 5 years how hard do you think it would be to find that 05 engine for this car ? more importantly how hard would the swap be with that 05 mustang gt engine ? i only plan on spending at most $8,000 total if i end up doing it any time soon.

RouterDude
04-07-2005, 06:55 PM
I am thinking of putting a supercharger on mine when I can afford it. I friend of mine can get me the PI brainbox which has no speed/rev limiter. For about $3500 a much higher HP/Torque gain can be done compared to all the work of replacing the engine.

ModMech
04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Oh I can assure you that even the "PI brain box" has both a speed (actually Tq) limiter and a rev limiter, they are just higher than on civilian cars.

RouterDude
04-08-2005, 01:47 PM
I think I found something else instead, there are Tuners available now for programming the EEC-V that will allow me to increase the limiters, I wouldnt want to drive around with NO limiter, I have seen what a boosted engine can do when they decide to let loose. It aint a pretty sight.

Add your comment to this topic!