Tires bouncing like basketballs

prowler919
04-02-2005, 10:17 PM
I have a 2000 4X4 1500. Twice now I have been driving on the highway around 60 and when I pass over a rough area, the wheels bounce all over the place. After the first time, I replaced the shocks. But it happened again. The tires are new, and are balanced a rotated every 5000 miles. Any idea what else may be wrong?

silveradoking
04-02-2005, 11:18 PM
tire pressure....try decreasing the tire pressure by 5- 10kpa from the maximum......meaning if your tire pressure maximum is 45kpa, then put the tire pressure to 40kpa or even 35kpa and see what happens......that was a mistake trying to change the shocks....and don't forget trucks bounce alot....

3wbdriver
04-03-2005, 10:33 AM
I'll bet it was the rear end doing the bouncing. That is a byproduct of driving any P/U truck, especially with no load in the back. You have to remember these things are sprung to carry a 1000lb+ load in the back, so if the rear suspension gets any kind of hard knock without some weight to steady it, you're going to get some bounce and skip. These newer rigs have a softer ride built in for the first inch or two of travel, but a hard bump at speed is going to make it compress harder with a correspondingly harder rebound. If the truck settles down after a second or 2, that's likely your problem. I live in Louisiana, which has the worst roads I've driven on in 30 years of driving, and that skip is a daily happening at anything over 55mph down here.

dr_of_lovephd
04-03-2005, 07:14 PM
What type of tires did you buy? The tires can have a big impact on ride quality. I have to travel down a cobble stone road everyday. With the all terrain tires I used to have the ride was very rough. I could not comfortably drive faster than 25mph. Then I bought some tires from someone that was customizing his escalade. I was suprised how much the street tires smoothed out the ride. Apparently the all terrain tires are made of a harder rubber that makes them bounce more than normal tires.

prowler919
04-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I have kelly suv tires since I do a lot of driving on the highway.
The bouncing lasts a lot longer than 2 seconds, it last until I slow down below 40-45. It feels like the whole truck is bouncing, front and back. The steering wheel wobbles also.
The shocks were original and the truck has 105,000 miles on it, that's why I thought the shocks may be bad.

3wbdriver
04-03-2005, 10:29 PM
AWLRIGHTY then............ I have had that problem on 2 vehicles in my lifetime. One truck, and one car, both 2WD (A arm front end). Have your front ball joints checked, and possibly your A arm bushings. When mine were doing it, I didn't even have to hit a bump. It would just start shimmying at a certain speed, and not stop until I slowed down. And yes, it is a very disconcerting feeling.

Faze2183
04-04-2005, 09:22 AM
i got the same issue, but i hope my new tool box when i get it installed or well my chest box and load it down with some stuff will help

Faze2183
04-04-2005, 09:25 AM
and big ol new bumper too

prowler919
04-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks, I'll have them checked. After reading all these forums, I was beginning to believe that it was "california freeway hop" that I've heard so much about.
Are they easy to replace, or should I have a dealership do it? With 105,000 on it, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them anyway...

3wbdriver
04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
If the bushings are worn, your probably better off have a skilled mechanic do the work. Ball joints can be done by a competent shadetree. You'll need to have it aligned after the work anyway, so I'd recommend a mechanic.

Add your comment to this topic!