Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Rodeo hard idle

djlu71
04-02-2005, 06:55 PM
MY 96 3.2L V6 is idling very high. When I turn it over it almost instantly goes upto about 1800-2100 RPM. I've changed the idle air control sensor, and have cleaned the air intake/throttle body and still over revs. After changing the idle air control sensor it fixed itself and the RPM's went down to about 800-900. But, then gradually over the course of a couple of days it sould start going up again. And, the same thing happened when I cleaned the air intake/throttle body. Any suggestions? Maybe the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)? Please help, I'm going crazy!!!!!

ibew595
04-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Gasket or vaccum hose leak?

djlu71
04-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info, but am not really sure where to begin with regards to the possibility of a vacuum leak or faulty gasket. Any help with this would be great.

What I did today was with the key in the "ON" position I disconnected the battery and took apart the air intake ans Idle Air Sensor and recleaned them. Then I put everything back together again and turned the key to the "OFF" position and re-connected the battery terminals. What do you know the RPM's are at about 750 to 850 RPM. I left the car running for about ten minutes and the RPM's remained in that area. Turned the car off 4 or 5 times and still the same RPM's thank God no fluctuations.

Could it have been that the disconnecting of the battery prior to removing the Idle Air Sendor and Air Intake?

Really, don't, but would like to find out if it has any bearing.

Add your comment to this topic!