Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

6.5 lbs of boost is nice!

-Jayson-
04-01-2005, 11:01 PM
i got my smaller pully installed today. Man does it feel so nice. I love it. It should put me around 210HP at the crank. WAHOO! I hope my new header gets here by next week friday, cause ill get to the drag strip that day.

ZackKVtec
04-02-2005, 09:34 AM
how much psi were you running before? you should def install your header before you get to the track, also what types of times and traps you expecting?

-Jayson-
04-02-2005, 10:23 AM
before was only 4.5 PSI on the stock pulley. If i can get the header installed before the track i will do so, but i need to get it first. . .

Im hoping for a low 14 ET and 95-97MPH

-The Stig-
04-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Are you ever going to do a manual swap?

That'd drop your times immensely right there... econoboxes were never known for having a good autotranny.

-Jayson-
04-02-2005, 12:46 PM
uhh my econobox is known for having a good tranny. My tranny is about .3 tenths of a second slower then the manual tranny for my car. But with a shiftplus its even less of a difference. Not to mention my tranny has seen over 400WHP on other cars and not broken anything other than CV joints and Axles.

-The Stig-
04-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Uh huh.

I've never ridden in a automatic 4 cylinder car that was nearly as fast as it's manual counterpart. They've always been sluggish.

Not saying BS, but got any proof of the Autos being nearly as fast?

Cause I look at specs like this... and think otherwise
1995 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 10.9 18.00 auto
1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 8.3 16.10 manual

I know, they're LS's not Z24's... but the those year LS's had 130hp... only 20hp off of a stock '01 Z24.

clawhammer
04-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Manual usually has an extra gear, so it actually has shorter gearing, which means faster acceleration. I would do a manual conversion after your exhaust.

-Jayson-
04-02-2005, 01:42 PM
you are very misguided by your information. i dont believe there ever was a 130Hp cavalier. Let me break this down for you since 95, the cavalier has had i think 5 engines available since 95. But for comparison ill only show the 2 you are talking about. Also i think 4 transmissions.

the nasty 2.2L engine, this was a 12V SOHC 115HP engine.

The 2.4L, 16V DOHC 150HP -my engine.

Also their is a new 2.2L engine that is called the 2.2L ecotec, this is DOHC and makes 140HP, but ignore this engine for now. But this engine is in all cavaliers 2003 and up.

the 2.3L Quad 4 HO, not sure on the specs on this one, i know it was used in the Z24's and LS's untill 95. I think it was 180HP NA, cant remember though.

Now trims levels for those years were as followed, Base, LS, and Z24

Base which had a 2.2L 3 SPD AUTO or 5 psd manual was good for an 18 second 1/4 mile.
LS this model was the 4 door, it came with the 2.2L engine, but you could upgrade it to the 2.4L engine.
And the Z24, coupe 2.4L auto or 3 spd.

Now the transmissions. from 92 to 95 i think all the automatics were 3 spd slush boxs that work off hydraulic pumps and slow as hell. The gears were very tall.

After that, 96 and above, they changed to the 4 spd auto that shifted electronically, big difference.

Now to break down car times/engines/and trans.

2.2L 3 spd auto - Low 18 second
2.2L 5 spd manu - High 17 seconds
2.4L 3 spd auto - Never came with one
2.4L 4 spd auto - High 15 Low 16
2.4L 5 spd Manu - High 15 mid 15 with a good driver

Anways if i wanted a manual, i would have bought one. . .

-The Stig-
04-02-2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.modernracer.com/history/chevroletcavalierlshistory.html

The air conditioning cools, almost instantly.
The 2.2 litre twin-overhead camshaft Ecotec four cylinder engine, now standard on all J-Cars, generates a more-than-competitive 140 horsepower at 5,600 r.p.m., and a 'way-more-than-competitive' 150 lb.-ft., of torque at 4,400 r.p.m.

140hp, Cavalier LS sports sedan.

Igovert500
04-02-2005, 03:35 PM
nice, so when you plannin on going to the track?

-Jayson-
04-02-2005, 10:14 PM
http://www.modernracer.com/history/chevroletcavalierlshistory.html

140hp, Cavalier LS sports sedan.

did you read my post? The 2.2L ecotec engine is only in the 2003 up engines. There is no Z24 after 2002. Its called a LS. But all cavaliers after 2003 have the 2.2L ecotec. Before 2003 the LS was the fully loaded sedan edition, it had the option of getting the 2.4L DOHC or 2.2L SOHC engine.

Thourun
04-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Ughh too many engines for the same car! Make up your mind chevy!

-The Stig-
04-03-2005, 04:25 AM
did you read my post? The 2.2L ecotec engine is only in the 2003 up engines. There is no Z24 after 2002. Its called a LS. But all cavaliers after 2003 have the 2.2L ecotec. Before 2003 the LS was the fully loaded sedan edition, it had the option of getting the 2.4L DOHC or 2.2L SOHC engine.

Yes, I read it. You stated that...

i dont believe there ever was a 130Hp cavalier.

Which in a sense is true, cause I was going off of information claiming 130hp. But infact, there is one that makes 140hp. You didn't specify a year.

Aren't technicalities a bitch? :p

chevytrucks92
04-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Eitherway, a manual transmission would be faster BUT if you plan on racing at the track a lot, then you'd be better off sticking with your auto--they're way more consistant.

-Jayson-
04-04-2005, 01:30 PM
a manual wont be faster cause it wont be worth the swap. To shave .3 tenths of a second off. . . i could do alot more with the money it would cost to do a swap.

chevytrucks92
04-04-2005, 02:20 PM
a manual wont be faster cause it wont be worth the swap. To shave .3 tenths of a second off. . . i could do alot more with the money it would cost to do a swap.

.3 tenths of a second is pretty hard to come by man and .3 tenths on the track is a couple car lengths, if not more.

Either way, I never said to do the swap, just that if you had a 5-spd manual your car would be faster. And again, if you plan on racing at the track (and more then just to get a number to quote on here), the auto is the way to go becuase they are simply much more consistant and that's what you want.

dampachi
04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
for some reason he wants to keep his automatic. maybe he can't drive a manual. maybe he just doesn't want a manual. maybe he doesn't think it's worth it. maybe his girlfriend or something also uses the car and can't drive a manual. maybe he was trying to learn how to drive a manual and he was taking awhile and his dad got really mad at him and started screaming at him and telling him he's worthless and now he's tramautized by manual transmissions. who knows. point being, he likes his automatic. so don't try to force a manual on him. the end.

GritMaster
04-04-2005, 05:36 PM
maybe he was trying to learn how to drive a manual and he was taking awhile and his dad got really mad at him and started screaming at him and telling him he's worthless and now he's tramautized by manual transmissions.

:lol:

But seriously what's with the huge hype for everything to be a standard? some people might like the ease of never having to shift, for daily driving if there's alot of stop and go traffic it's actually pretty nice.

Of course, That wouldn't matter though would it? this is a street racing forum after all, and everyone here only drives their cars when they're racing :screwy:

dampachi
04-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I personally cringe at the thought of ever putting my shifter into "D" rather than 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

GritMaster
04-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Granted that may be the case, Automatics certainly have their places.
I would kind of like a car with paddle shifters.
Though not for the paddle shifters.... just for the car :P

dampachi
04-04-2005, 06:10 PM
after backing out of my driveway in the mercedes...i once put it up into park thinking I was putting it into 1st gear.

chevytrucks92
04-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Granted that may be the case, Automatics certainly have their places.

Yeah, like Drag Racing, lol.

clawhammer
04-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah, like Drag Racing, lol.
Not flaming here, but what's the point of racing an automatic, especially professionally competing? With a manual you have to shift, improve shifting, etc. With automatics all it is to get a good launch, and that's it.

chevytrucks92
04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Not flaming here, but what's the point of racing an automatic, especially professionally competing? With a manual you have to shift, improve shifting, etc. With automatics all it is to get a good launch, and that's it.

Consistancy. That's all I should have to say. Consistancy. If I had a manual in my car, it would literally be as radical as hell going down the track (and its already radical enough in the first 60 ft). If it had a manual, every time I would shift gears it would pull the front tires. There is just no getting around it. I've seen it before. There used to be a Vega that raced on occasion where I do and he had a 4-spd. And his car pulled the front tires everytime he shifted, and guess what, he was lucky to win one round!

With an automatic (GM Powerglide in my case, which is a two-speed auto), you can concentrate on cutting a good reaction time, and then keeping the car in the groove when it launches. And you got to realize, driving the car in my signature is totally different then driving any street car, even what we consider fast street cars. If you don't brace yourself for the launch, then you won't hold it in the 60 ft. And with the powerglide, I can use an air or eletric shifter (a solenoid that knocks the gear selector from low to high at a set rpm which is actuated by either electric current or C02-if not for this, then I would have to shift the car), and the car will shift gears the same way, EVERY pass. And when thousandths of a second determines if you load up or go to the next round, you want as much consistancy as you can get!

So you see, thats why everybody wants an automatic transmission in my kind of racing (bracket racing), and usually, GM Powerglides dominate becuase you're allowed to use the electric/air shift systems. And then for you guys that have street cars that race at a track, you have to be a really good driver to win in a bracket race (and that's waht you'll be doing at a track) driving a manual. They are jjust too radical. You mis one shift, and you may as well turn off the track and go home, lol.

-The Stig-
04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Well said... Consistancy is one of the main keys to drag racing.

Manuals are just giggles of fun.

chevytrucks92
04-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Manuals are just giggles of fun.

Agreed. If I had a street-only car, then that's what it'd be (if I had the choice you know).

But now for a truck, gotta have an auto. They are alot easier to tow with then a manual.

xXxRocker5150
04-04-2005, 10:36 PM
^if that's the case, than why do alot of the tow-trucks I've seen have manuals???

clawhammer
04-04-2005, 10:39 PM
I guess you're right, you will be more consistent, but definetely a lot less fun.

chevytrucks92
04-04-2005, 11:06 PM
^if that's the case, than why do alot of the tow-trucks I've seen have manuals???

Well, must just be a regional thing then. Beucase I'd say 90% of the tow trucks that I see are automatics. And the automatics are rated to tow more then the manuals as well.

But either way, if it was more "popular" to tow with a manual, I'd still prefer the auto.

I guess you're right, you will be more consistent, but definetely a lot less fun.

Maybe. But I think it'd be more fun driving a car that gets to 85 mph as fast as a Vette gets to 60, and gets to 100 mph as fast as most cars get to 60 (when the mph lights worked where I race, the car was going like 84.xxx mph in around 4.4x seconds--in an 1/8th mile, it'll go around 99-102 mph, in about 6.7x seconds-and hopefully within this month, I'll have some new times from me driving in an 1/8th, and then I'll know for sure, but if I were betting, I'd bet in the 6.7x range at 100 mph, give or take a tenth and a mph or two-but make no mistake, whatever it runs, it'll run within a hundredth or two of that all day).

And that's not even close to being the fastest, lol (my uncle's new car run 6.53 @ 104 mph in the 1/8th and run 4.2xs where we normally race, which is probably 86 or 87 mph--and several cars with the same tranny set up as me go 5.8xs @ over 114 mph in the 1/8th)

-Jayson-
04-04-2005, 11:16 PM
i can drive a manual just fine, but i also dont like having to shift all the time. I drive about 50 miles a day, in the city. Id go crazy with a manual. Ill admit manuals are alot more fun than automatics. But theres nothing more enjoyable after a long day of work than jsut driving home and not worry about shifting, all you do is press the gas, press the cruise control and your away. If you need to stop or slow down, you just press the brake, need to speed up you just press the gas.

Also i cant tell you how many races ive won because of the other guy missing a shift. Its actually annoying sometimes.

drftk1d
04-04-2005, 11:57 PM
ITS SO WIERD!

LIKE WTF WHAT IS MY LEFT FOOT DOING? Its just sitting there.

street_racer_00
04-05-2005, 01:11 AM
I have an automatic because I can steer with one hand while I tweeze my eyebrows with the other.

GritMaster
04-05-2005, 01:17 AM
In my cadillac your left foot would activate the high beams. Lol.

clawhammer
04-05-2005, 07:30 AM
In my cadillac your left foot would activate the high beams. Lol.
Seriously? I've never driven a cadillac before, I wouldn't know.

chevytrucks92
04-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Seriously? I've never driven a cadillac before, I wouldn't know.

I dont know what model his Caddy is, but about every older model vehicle was that way. I know 1987-older GM trucks were this way.

GritMaster
04-05-2005, 08:24 AM
boohyah. True they were. it's a 79 :)

clawhammer
04-05-2005, 09:17 AM
:useless:

Add your comment to this topic!