Page updated on 11-18-2017

350Z Death

mmulhern
04-01-2005, 02:10 PM
My son died in a car accident March 13, 2005. He had just bought his 350Z in December. He was only 20 years old. He lived at home, worked full time, and went to college at night. He saved and worked 2 jobs to buy this car. He loved cars!

I am his mom and know nothing about cars.

Witnesses state they heard a lound sound "like he hit a stick or something in the road", and then the car made an abrupt 45 degree angle off the road. The police did not find anything in the road.

Do any of you hard core 350Z owners, mechanics, or anyone know of any one else who has had this problem, or know or have any sugestions what this loud sound might have been, and what caused the car to go off the road. The accident occured at while crossing an intersection.

The investigation is still open.

Thank you,

Bdetore
04-01-2005, 06:46 PM
My son died in a car accident March 13, 2005. He had just bought his 350Z in December. He was only 20 years old. He lived at home, worked full time, and went to college at night. He saved and worked 2 jobs to buy this car. He loved cars!

Witnesses state they heard a lound sound "like he hit a stick or something in the road", and then the car made an abrupt 45 degree angle off the road. The police did not find anything in the road.

Do any of you hard core 350Z owners, mechanics, or anyone know of any one else who has had this problem, or know or have any sugestions what this loud sound might have been, and what caused the car to go off the road. The accident occured at while crossing an intersection.

Thank you,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately it sounds like the car must have been pretty well mangled to distinguish between and accident and damage that may have occured before the accident. I'm not an expert, but I have done my fair share of work with cars, and the first thing I would look at are suspension pieces and steering linkages. If the snapping sound was involved, something may have broken causing a wheel to go somewhere it shouldn't have. Pieces like tie rods, rack and pinions, and other such steering parts could cause a wheel to go the wrong way if snapped. I would take some time reading up on a Chiltens guide to the car itself. There will be detailed pictures and drawings of these systems. If you do some studying, I'm sure you can learn alot, but with the condition of a car after a fatal accident it may be hard to prove anything before versus after. The other unfortunate thing is that by nature of industry, sometimes some parts just have problems that can't be detected. It's kind of a chaos theory. It's why some parts go out in the first 10k miles, and some from the same mold last 200k. It may be a 1 in a million thing. I know this is of no comfort, and I hope that someday you can ascertain what really happened. If it does come down to manufacturer defect it may help alot of people. Good luck with your future. I don't know what else to say to help.

Zgringo
04-02-2005, 02:55 AM
I truly hope you don't take this wrong, but you owe it to your son's memory to get that car into the hands of a expert to determine the cause of the accident. I'm sure he wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else.
In the past I use to do aircraft accident investigation work and in the right hands the cause of your son's accident can be determined.
My heart goes out to you and your family.

mmulhern
04-02-2005, 12:07 PM
I truly hope you don't take this wrong, but you owe it to your son's memory to get that car into the hands of a expert to determine the cause of the accident. I'm sure he wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else.
In the past I use to do aircraft accident investigation work and in the right hands the cause of your son's accident can be determined.
My heart goes out to you and your family.

Thank you both for your kind words. Ryan, my son, was (is)very special.
The insurance company has hired an expert in accident reconstruction. The reason I posted this was to find that one hard core Z owner that knows everything about the old and new cars. That 1 person in a million that can tell you what's wrong just by hearing the sound the car makes. That one that knows that if a Z car makes this sound, these are your options.

I know that the investigator will do his/her best. I just don't want anything missed or overlooked. It is the last thing I can do for my son.

Thank you,

Zgringo
04-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I've raced Nissan's and other cars for years and what you said about the pop could be many things.
If you would be as so kind as to eMail me at:
lampllc@msn.com I'll try and help you as much as possible. It would help to know everything involved in this case.
In your eMail I would like your phone number.
I have the means and ability to perform non-distructive testing and Maybe can shed some light on this matter.

<SSR>David
04-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I am really sorry to hear about your loss. What Bdetore said is right. The suspension and steering parts could have been damaged and may have cause that sharp turn. Im sorry I can't be more of a help.

mmulhern
04-04-2005, 01:14 AM
I've raced Nissan's and other cars for years and what you said about the pop could be many things.
If you would be as so kind as to eMail me at:
lampllc@msn.com I'll try and help you as much as possible. It would help to know everything involved in this case.
In your eMail I would like your phone number.
I have the means and ability to perform non-distructive testing and Maybe can shed some light on this matter.

Hello,

I have sent you two e-mails. I am almost sure you didn't receive them because I sent them to myself and I did not get them. Please let me know if you have received them.

Thank you,

mmulhern
04-04-2005, 01:18 AM
I am really sorry to hear about your loss. What Bdetore said is right. The suspension and steering parts could have been damaged and may have cause that sharp turn. Im sorry I can't be more of a help.

Thank you for considering what might be the cause.

Zgringo
04-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Hello,

I have sent you two e-mails. I am almost sure you didn't receive them because I sent them to myself and I did not get them. Please let me know if you have received them.

Thank you,

No, I haven't recieved anything. It's lampllc@msn.com

Bdetore
04-04-2005, 12:40 PM
If I've learned anything from these forums, it's that Zgringo is kinda like the wise old Z-owl of the forest, although I don't know how old he really is. IF anyone here can help you it's him. Good luck to the both of you. The answer is there somewhere.

mmulhern
04-04-2005, 02:43 PM
No, I haven't recieved anything. It's lampllc@msn.com

Hello,

I have sent two more e-mails.

Let me know if you receive them.

Thank you,

Toyota_Guy
05-27-2005, 05:31 PM
There is a case pending against Nissan North America, thats not exactly about accident, but thats about defects with Nissan 350Z.It might help.

http://www.sheller.com/Practice.asp?PracticeID=145

<SSR>David
05-28-2005, 02:24 AM
Quoted : "The complaint contains allegations that these vehicles suffer from suspension and alignment defects that result in premature wear, feathering, and cupping of the front tires." Says a lot. Now this really got me scared. I did not feel anything of this sort. I could be because I bought some aftermarket suspension from Tein, but thats just coils springs and ect. I mean, this is a very seriouse problem for me. Thanks Toyota-Guy for sharing this information with us, very helpful for me. I should probably go to a auto shop and get my suspension and steering components checked out. This is got me really worried for some reason.

mmulhern
06-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Quoted : "The complaint contains allegations that these vehicles suffer from suspension and alignment defects that result in premature wear, feathering, and cupping of the front tires." Says a lot. Now this really got me scared. I did not feel anything of this sort. I could be because I bought some aftermarket suspension from Tein, but thats just coils springs and ect. I mean, this is a very seriouse problem for me. Thanks Toyota-Guy for sharing this information with us, very helpful for me. I should probably go to a auto shop and get my suspension and steering components checked out. This is got me really worried for some reason.

We are aware of the tire suit. But the 05's don't have enough history yet. Nissan web site touts the "safety " of these cars, and that the earlier problems have been corrected. The site goes on to say that the 04's and 05's are structurely the same. How can that be? he 04's have the tire and suspension problems too. We are still digging, and something, somewhere, from somebody, we will prove this car to be un-safe, and maybe my son can get some justice.

Dad

b-28L280zx
06-18-2005, 04:34 PM
It could possibally mean they have the same settings but different types of parts involved. Automotive terms can get very confusing at times. Did you check to see if the car had any tune up? suspension change? or last people to work on it? Maybe it was a loose bolt or wrong bolt replaced in ? Trust me these happen alot me and my neighbor find defects (that werent there before) everytime it comes back from a shop so we just work on our own cars now after being screwed over 1000$ engine rebuild on his toyota and getting into a fight with the security and me slaming his head into a table and giving him a cuncussion and being in jail for a week for assalt charges but thats different he was a jerk

peter6004
08-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Dear mom,
I so sorry for your son's death, but there is a problem with the alignment situation on the 350zMy son died in a car accident March 13, 2005. He had just bought his 350Z in December. He was only 20 years old. He lived at home, worked full time, and went to college at night. He saved and worked 2 jobs to buy this car. He loved cars!

Thank you,

peter6004
08-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I am sorry to hear about your son, I understand how you feel, especially with Nissan's alignment problems. I bought my car used with 22,000 miles it is a 2003 350z. After taking my car for an oil change at Maroone Nissan I noticed in their computer that the right tie rod was replaced by the original owner. I am currently experiencing wheel alignment problems and I am not feeling secure especially driving this vehicle on open roads. I going to see an attorney on Wednesday 8/17 for legal advice. God bless you and your family. More power to you for continuing to pursue perfect Japanese Auto Makers. Peter, my 305-469-2914

john30
10-05-2005, 03:42 PM
My deepest sympathies to you and your family regarding the recent loss of your son this March in his Nissan 350z.
Like you I have also just recently lost my beloved brother in a road traffic accident in July 2005. He was also driving his Nissan 350z (2003 import model) that night.

He was 29 yrs and 11 mths old, his birthday was in September when he was going to turn 30.

My brother was a IT professional working in London, England. He had purchased his electric blue Nissan 350z sports car the end of May 2005 from a local dealer ... it had I think 1000 miles on the clock with one previous owner. The night of the accident he was travelling back from a work party, alone .... the road where he died he has driven on it hundreds of times ... as this was the main road to our home. He some how lost control of his vehicle and the car then hit a empty stationary bus .. he died on scene . My brother is an extremely experienced and competent driver he has driven in Switzerland in the mountains under hazardous conditions at dark and so on .. but here his vehicle somehow lost control from the 3rd lane of a wide dual carriageway his car swerved to the left to a parked bus in the parking bay lane .. we are puzzled to say the least to accept that he could not have maneourved it to a safe stop ... and that's where your article re: 45 degree angle came to mind.
The reason why I have emailed you is whether you have any news with regards to any technical or mechanical faults with your son's vehicle. The police to date have not found anything to pin point the RTA... it was a dry night .. and no one else was injured. The police have informed us that they are going to visit Nissan 350z dealer / manufacturers to conduct tests on a similar Nissan 350z to establish whether there could be a fault with the car itself.
I have never visited such a site before so if there is anything that is inappropriate I apologise .. like yourself I have searching for answers to help us accept why it happened and learn if there is anyone to blame for my loved one's death.

mmulhern
10-11-2005, 08:52 PM
There is a case pending against Nissan North America, thats not exactly about accident, but thats about defects with Nissan 350Z.It might help.

http://www.sheller.com/Practice.asp?PracticeID=145

Thank you,

I will check into this.

I have not been to this site in awhile.

I believe someday I will find what broke on the car to cause this accident. I hope it will save other lives!

Ryan's Mom

mmulhern
10-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Dear mom,
I so sorry for your son's death, but there is a problem with the alignment situation on the 350z

Thank you,

I am looking at everything to find out what caused this accident.

Ryan's Mom

mmulhern
10-11-2005, 09:57 PM
My deepest sympathies to you and your family regarding the recent loss of your son this March in his Nissan 350z.
Like you I have also just recently lost my beloved brother in a road traffic accident in July 2005. He was also driving his Nissan 350z (2003 import model) that night.

He was 29 yrs and 11 mths old, his birthday was in September when he was going to turn 30.

My brother was a IT professional working in London, England. He had purchased his electric blue Nissan 350z sports car the end of May 2005 from a local dealer ... it had I think 1000 miles on the clock with one previous owner. The night of the accident he was travelling back from a work party, alone .... the road where he died he has driven on it hundreds of times ... as this was the main road to our home. He some how lost control of his vehicle and the car then hit a empty stationary bus .. he died on scene . My brother is an extremely experienced and competent driver he has driven in Switzerland in the mountains under hazardous conditions at dark and so on .. but here his vehicle somehow lost control from the 3rd lane of a wide dual carriageway his car swerved to the left to a parked bus in the parking bay lane .. we are puzzled to say the least to accept that he could not have maneourved it to a safe stop ... and that's where your article re: 45 degree angle came to mind.
The reason why I have emailed you is whether you have any news with regards to any technical or mechanical faults with your son's vehicle. The police to date have not found anything to pin point the RTA... it was a dry night .. and no one else was injured. The police have informed us that they are going to visit Nissan 350z dealer / manufacturers to conduct tests on a similar Nissan 350z to establish whether there could be a fault with the car itself.
I have never visited such a site before so if there is anything that is inappropriate I apologise .. like yourself I have searching for answers to help us accept why it happened and learn if there is anyone to blame for my loved one's death.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have not been back to this site for many months. I took the loss of my son very hard.

We also have no answers yet. Ryan was on a dry, straight street when the accident occurred. He died on scene also. He had the blue 350 Z too.

Ryan had been driving an older 350 Z for many years. So, this was not his first experience with Z cars. Ryan and his friends went 4 wheeling (I think that is what you call it) since he was barely old enough to drive. We believe he was a competent driver, and could handle the car even in an emergency like a tire blowout.

We have not been able to determine why he went off the road.

Please e-mail me if you find out anything. I will do the same. While we cannot bring my son or your brother back, we might be able to save others if it is the car.

Thank you,
Ryan's Mom

mmulhern
10-12-2005, 12:07 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I have not been back to this site for many months. I took the loss of my son very hard.

We also have no answers yet. Ryan was on a dry, straight street when the accident occurred. He died on scene also. He had the blue 350 Z too.

Ryan had been driving an older 350 Z for many years. So, this was not his first experience with Z cars. Ryan and his friends went 4 wheeling (I think that is what you call it) since he was barely old enough to drive. We believe he was a competent driver, and could handle the car even in an emergency like a tire blowout.

We have not been able to determine why he went off the road.

Please e-mail me if you find out anything. I will do the same. While we cannot bring my son or your brother back, we might be able to save others if it is the car.

Thank you,
Ryan's Mom

Ryan's mom doesn't know cars. Ryan's other Z is an 86' 300ZX. It has 150K miles, he drove it to school and work, and out with his friends. When it broke, he and I fixed it. He did all the maintainance himself. Our next project was to re-build my 74' 260Z. He thought it would be cool to cruise around with Dad, in our generational different Z's. I think it would have been pretty cool too. My Son and I did almost everything together. From working on cars, remodeling the house, playing a little golf, or just hangin' out. He was my best freind, and I miss him dearly.

Dad

gparedes
10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
I am really sorry about your son. I am writing to let you know that because of your thread here, I will be sure to have my 350Z (2005) checked meticulously each time I service it. I may even look into after-market front end parts (better ones). I was not aware of any of these issues and literally stumbled on this forum. Again thank you Mom, God bless you and your family.

Best Regards,

Gabriel Paredes
gparedes@consultant.com
571 332 6598

Not sure what your background is like, but take a look at this. REally read some of the accounts. http://nderf.org/ It might be comforting. Feel free to email me.

Add your comment to this topic!