Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vibration from rear

mrd330
04-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Hey Guys,

Im new here. Just purchased a used 02 Extreme ext cab. Although I have detailed service history for the vehicle, which is A+++ Im having a problem. Its got about 47000 mi on it. Im noticing a bad vibration from the rear at about 50-60 mph. Its covered under the used car warranty. SO I bought it back, had them balance the tires, which did not solve it. The mechanic put it back on the lift and said that all 4 shocks were bad (excessive bouncing noted by myself also) and the drive shaft carrier bearing was bad. Is this a good place to start and try and fix this problem? Are there any other things he should check? They seem pretty receptive to me and I dont think they are out to screw me, I trust this dealer. They also know Im not oblivious to working on cars. Shaould I ask about the U joints? Also they are going to replace them with cheaper Response NAPA shocks (they are doing all the work for free) do you think they will be OK for a while?

Thanks!! Great site you have here!!
Matt

dugie6551
04-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Welcome Matt,

The vibration will be either the driveshaft center bearing or a U-joint. Have them replace both at the same time. They are cheap parts to fix.

Keep us posted ... we are all here to help each other so keep coming back !!!!

OverBoardProject
04-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I've used Napa u-joints before and never had a problem with them. But don't get them replaced unless they are warn out.

The drive shaft carrier bearing is a very good place to start, and will probably be the prob if it's worn out

NaKeDZX
04-02-2005, 08:16 AM
It's most likely some part of your drive shaft assembly that is causing the vibration. Bad shocks wouldn't do that. Now, if your truck is an extended cab V6, be prepared for a rediculous quote to rebuild the drive shaft (like someone said, don't just replace the carrier or 1 ujoint, do the whole thing). On Ext cab V6s, and possibly all ext cabs, the drive shaft has at least 5 ujoints, 2-3 cv-joints, and the carrier bearing. Then the whole assembly needs to be mounted on a machine and rebalanced. I was quoted over $700 for the rebuild. I even called around to verify this price. I ended up taking the shaft out myself and taking it to the same place the shops would have farmed it out to. They did it for around $350. So basically, the shops wanted to charge me $400 to remove, transport, and reinstall the shaft. F them. Take a look at your shaft before you call for quotes. Know what you're dealing with. They told me $80 till I showed up.....then it was a "special" drive shaft.

Note: This happened with almost 100k on the truck. I'm not a certified mechanic, and maybe you can get away with just the carrier. But I wouldn't replace just one ujoint at a time.

BlazerLT
04-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Also notem your rear rotors might be warped.

mrd330
04-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Do you guys think I should try and "squeeze" anything else out of the used car warranty? Any other things destined to go soon for me? Also I took an extended warranty for another 24000 miles anyway. I figure that should cover me for anything that may go wrong in the near future.

Also do they make a dual exhaust for my truck, 02 ext cab extreme, I think i have the large bed. How do I know the different bed sizes?
Does anyone make a decent aftermarket air dam, mines all curb rashed and needs to be repleced eventually.

Thanks,
mrd

BlazerLT
04-02-2005, 12:27 PM
This is a warranty item, they have to fix it.

Have them take it for a test drive and don't allow them to tell you it is "normal".

smokey041369
04-03-2005, 06:42 AM
had bad vibration on a 89 s-10 change the carrier bearring, the u-joints ( 3 ) and it ended up being a bent drive shaft, have them check to see if that is a possibility with your truck

dugie6551
04-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Do you guys think I should try and "squeeze" anything else out of the used car warranty? Any other things destined to go soon for me?

I would try and "squeeze" them for a new heater core. They are cheap to buy but a real bitch to replace.

maspoon
04-07-2005, 01:23 AM
if you got a warranty use it, you paid them now get some of that money back, a u joint is not a normal wear item so it should be covered unless you got a really bad warranty, if they give you any crap just stand your ground plus if the place you bought it from is the same place you had look at it, they probably knew it was bad to begin with, so make somebody besides you pay for it.

maspoon
04-07-2005, 01:27 AM
id be really suprised if you need a new heater core.. its only 3 years old

maspoon
04-07-2005, 01:28 AM
if it aint broke they wont fix it

herkyhawki
04-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Hey Guys,

Im noticing a bad vibration from the rear

Thanks!! Great site you have here!!
Matt

Also could be caused by eating too many beans!

kenyonja2007
04-07-2005, 11:30 AM
hardy har

Add your comment to this topic!