Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Valve Cover Gasket

99JLEclipse
03-31-2005, 11:08 PM
I have a 99 Eclipse GS 5 Speed. I know my Valve Cover is bad I have a new one can anyone give me directions on installing it. Also it is leaking in to my spark plugs how do I go about cleaning that out. Thank you much.

scottsee
04-01-2005, 09:24 AM
i belive there are 12 bolts holding the valve cover onto the cylinder head. dissconnect the pvc valve, and breather nipple. pop the spark plug wires off and get a small prybar and crack the seal. if there was any sealent on the gasket it could be a bitch. when i took mine off i never expected to pry as hard as i had.

the oil in the spark plug holes are most likley from bad spark plug seals. just replace them when you put on the new valve cover and gasket. you can just use a clean rag to clean the plug holes.

ps. be carefull not to over tighten the valve cover bolts. i made that mistake and cracked my valve cover.

scottsee
04-01-2005, 12:42 PM
ahh haa. forgot about this artical. their still working on getting the pictures up. the site was down sence october, still trying to get everything up and going.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90462

99JLEclipse
04-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Thank you for your help. Today I will rip into. I am going to change the spark plugs and paint the cover while im at it. Painting it red to match. But we all know red doesnt match worth my ... Thank you again

99JLEclipse
04-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Ive done it. Thank you again for your help. I also painted my valve cover while it was off and put new spark plugs in. The new gasket is great :)

Add your comment to this topic!