Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What else should i change?

batman19
03-31-2005, 06:44 PM
i'm taking my front wheel off to change my rotor and pad this weekend, what else should i check and maybe change while the wheel is off??

Also, does anyone know how to work on drum break? What part do i usually need to change? i hear it is pain in the butt

rlith
04-03-2005, 06:19 AM
i'm taking my front wheel off to change my rotor and pad this weekend, what else should i check and maybe change while the wheel is off??

Also, does anyone know how to work on drum break? What part do i usually need to change? i hear it is pain in the butt

Pull, sand, regrease the slide pins. Grease all your joints while you have the wheels off.

As far as the rear, just the pads. Though if the adjuster is rusty, you should replace and readjust those. Doing rear pads are easy.

batman19
04-04-2005, 10:38 PM
rear pad is easy? i hear that drump break is pain in the butt to work on.
Can someone point out all the grease point for me?
i saw two on the front wheel at each side so far? but i heard there is about 11 grease point, and where is the grease point for lower ball joint?

rlith
04-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Inner and outer tie rods (both sides)
4 Ball joints (upper and lower)
Pitman arm
idler arm
u-joints (if after market)

OffRoadSonoma
04-05-2005, 10:57 AM
:screwy:
Drum brakes are a pain in the ass. But if you have the brake spoon and other tool it is a little easier. It also gets easier the more times you do it, but your shoes usually last 50,000 miles or more, so you'll probably only do it once while you own your truck. rlith might have been thinking your truck was 4 wheel disc, but unless you upgrade, it isn't. As far as adjusting your drum brakes, put the shoes back on and the drum. There should be a little window in the drum that gives you access to the adjusting star. Turn the adjusting star to were there is drag when you spin the drum, then back it off 2 turns. After your wheels are on and you are ready to drive. IN AN EMPTY PARKING LOT, (make sure there are no cars around you) shift into reverse and go between 5 and 10 mph, slam on your brakes. Do this 3 or 4 times. Drum brakes have an auto adjust feature, and by doing this, it enables it and adjust the brakes to the proper tightness. Hope this helps.

batman19
04-05-2005, 05:50 PM
hey, i dont think i have a grease joint for my lower ball joint, or at least i cant find it

Add your comment to this topic!