Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Custom supercharger setup

Toke138
03-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Ive been thinking about taking a supercharger from a thunderbird supercoop and having a custom intake made to work with a b16a.

Your thoughts?

turboEKhatch
03-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Ive been thinking about taking a supercharger from a thunderbird supercoop and having a custom intake made to work with a b16a.

Your thoughts?

It's a lot of work to put a (presumably) non intercooled roots blower on a motor when you could just run a turbo kit for much cheaper.

Toke138
03-31-2005, 02:06 AM
Cheaper?

The supercharger and intake is $100
Intercooler probably $25
The custom intake is about $250-$300
Custom pulley is nothing.
then I just need some pipes and tuning..injectors..odds and ends that go with boosting a car that n/s stock.

But about $500 for the basic parts.

What does it cost to do a salvage turbo kit?

Its really the same project as a salvage yard turbo setup. Cept the custom intake is alot harder to make than a custom turbo manifold.

F.Y.I. Those of you who are into salvage turbo setups... You can get your hands on a used supercoop intercooler for pretty damn cheap.

One last edit :) I want to do a supercharger setup because I want something different, there are way more turbo hondas than supercharged ones. I also LOVE the supercharger sound, although blowoff is nice sound too. AND roots superchargers give good low end boost, which is where honda powerbans are lacking.

turboEKhatch
03-31-2005, 03:44 PM
25 bucks for an intercooler? Are you maybe, perhaps forgetting for just a second the water tank, water lines, water pump, thermostat, heat exchanger, fan, etc?

To get a fairly large M90 on there and without bracket flex don't expect to just bolt up and run with it. Also keep in mind the supercoupes had the inlet on the back of the blower (good) and the outlet on the top. That means that to run it with the pulley facing the drivers side the outlet would be staring RIGHT at the firewall, have fun with that. If this project were anywhere close to as easy as you think it is going to be, it would have been done several times over already.

NOSAJ
03-31-2005, 07:18 PM
IMO it'd be too much work. Just buy a electric supercharger and a tornado for a total of $50 shipping included ofcourse.

superbluecivicsi
03-31-2005, 08:23 PM
the 3rd gen m90 is huge. the m62 is already large for us 1.6 guys. the m62 (1 litre a revolution) compared to the m90 (1.5 litre a revolution)..........you will not see full boost on the m90 before redline. you are working on a 1.6, not a 3.0 as the intention of the m90 is suppose to go to. the boost in itself is unimportant, it is the cfm x rpm that is important. the concept of bigger is better does not apply here like a turbo. you are working on a roots charger. the charger in itself is limited. if you manage to pull 15 + psi on the m62 blower you will go into sonic mode (the point where your boost effenciency = 0). i dont know where you plan on going with the boost on the m90, but, you wont hit it without your belts experiencing some major slips assuming you are using a nose pulley or crank pulley for the job.

the fitment question also arises. the blower itself is about 3 inches longer, about an inch wider, and probably about half an inch higher. have you seen the m62 sit in a civic or teg before. give it a look. the m62's length takes up ALOT of room. you would need to align the nose pulley of the manifold with the alternator pulley. by doing that you will have to move the bolwer 3 inches towards the passenger side......................a few problems arise from doing this.(1) the position of the throttle body moving three inches towards the passenger shock tower will cause the intake tube to be designed differently. you will need to make your own intake that will have a short travel from the throttlebody to the curve at a 90degree angle which is not very good for flow characteristics (you can also just just make a short straight tube from the throttlebody leaving enough gap between the shock tower and the intake opening and just slap a mesg grill on it like a turbo), or, you can cut off the engine bay frame of the passenger side shock tower to increase the angle at which the intake turns on the throttlebody. (2) the connection from the blower to manifold is changed from moving it 3 inches to towards the passenger side. you have to come up with your own way such as fabing your own flange that is independent of the blower and manifold that can connect the two together.......flow characteristics are also changed in this process (this will be a very expensive and difficult fab to do). (3) because the m90 blower needs to be moved 3 inches to the passenger side, you will find that you will need to reroute some coolant and electrical lines out of the blowers way. this is just assuming you are trying to keep the m90 positioning like the m62 in the engine bay. you can probably route it top wise, but, i dont feel like typing anymore :(

if you do decide to use all that money to put that m90 on, please................post some pix and info up. as for replacing the m62 with the m90, plenty of people have already thought it up (i am one of them). ive heard a few have done it................the results are minimal...........but, i would have to dig this info for you (which i dont wanna do :smile: )

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

94PreludeJDM
03-31-2005, 08:24 PM
hahahaha, an electric supercharger or a tornado? Neither of those do anything, especially the tornado. The tornado actually hurts your cars performance.

Toke138
04-16-2005, 03:39 PM
IM pretty sure the electric turbo suggestion was a joke.

Thanks for the info superbluecivicsi, I pretty much gave up on this idea after I made this post. It would be cool as hell if it could work but after taking a second look I noticed alot of problems that I dont want to deal with. I just came across the charger dirt cheap and had the idea.

I will probably still take it to the experts (the guy that was gonna make my manifold) and see what he has to say about it after I get a b16a under my hood. Those are the same guys that want to build the b21a1+b16a head that I mentioned a year or so ago. I wish they would start on that project, I'll be sure to post the results if they do.

Add your comment to this topic!