Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intermittent Wiper Problem in 99 Accord EX

MS99
03-30-2005, 09:51 PM
The wiper speed 1 functions as if it is in speed 2.Speed 3 functions normally at the higher speed.

In other words, speed 1 and 2 act like 2 while 3 functions at the higher speed as it should.

Any idea why speed 1 is acting like speed 2?

Thanks

cbeck
03-30-2005, 10:30 PM
some thoughts, switch could be bad.

this operates with a resistor and capacitor in series.. removing resistors as the frequency increases. So maybe a resistor is fried?

I would check the plug in also at the motor, see if wires are cracked and possibly shorted.

MS99
03-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Where and how do I findthe resistors or capacitors?

Incase of any fault in them,would I be able to see that they are faulty? like a blown fuse or something?

cbeck
03-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Sorry, I'm a little out in left feild guessign where they might be at... should be in a module somewhere. Likely either at the motor, the switch, or mounted under the dash? You wouldn't be able to tell if blown though, you would just have to replace. Looking in a haynes should let you know (auto zone will let you open them if they aren't already). Wish I hadn't given mine away when I gave my accord to my sister...

Check in the main engine fuse box too for a relay or something... i seem to remember there being one. The relay shouldn't be a problem, but maybe the wires leading out will lead you to something.

cbeck
03-31-2005, 01:09 PM
I found this post as well... suggesting the problem/resistors reside at the motor

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t330028-wiper_quit.html

MS99
04-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Here is a strange thing thats happening with my intermittant wipers:

When the intermittant is on (speed 1 is on):

the engine is running and the car is stationary, the wipers work intermittantly.

the car is moving, the wipers act as if in speed 2(normal).

When I stop, say at a light, the wipers go back to the intermittant.

Whats up with this strange behaviour?

cbeck
04-02-2005, 03:13 PM
are you pullin my leg? I dunno. I have no idea why it'd do that, but I think your up for replacement of either the motor or the timing module, which is in the steering column on my Kia, apparently atached to the motor on the post I linked, and I am not so sure on the honda.

If you try to "resolve" this problem, I think your in for a lot of electrical trouble shooting...

Best I can thinks is you have a short somewhere. one question, does it do it when you are stopped, or when you have the break in? ie-what happens when you let off the break but don't give it any gas... or if you pull the E-brake and just sit there?

MS99
04-02-2005, 03:46 PM
No, I am not pulling any one's legs.Trust me, this is whats happening.

I will try what you have asked and post the result.

cbeck
04-03-2005, 01:21 PM
good deal. check the connector at the motor too. Look for corosion, pull it out and make sure the contacts aren't rusty or anything. the motor, so long as it's still in the same place, will be mounted against the firewall drivers side above and towards the center from the powerbooster/mastercylinder.

lorunner
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Here is a strange thing thats happening with my intermittant wipers:

When the intermittant is on (speed 1 is on):

the engine is running and the car is stationary, the wipers work intermittantly.

the car is moving, the wipers act as if in speed 2(normal).

When I stop, say at a light, the wipers go back to the intermittant.

Whats up with this strange behaviour?

I hate to burst your bubble but they are actually doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. There is nothing wrong with them. They are speed sensative. So when your stopped they sweep intermitant once you go above 12 mph they change to slow speed. Now this only happens when the intermitant ring is set to the shortest delay. Any other position on the ring and it will operate normally.

cbeck
04-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I hate to burst your bubble but they are actually doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

lol. no kidding? hondas just keep getting weirder. wish my car did fancy stuff like that.

MS99
04-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I appreciate your bursting my bubble in this case.

I read the manual today and it says what you said, though not in so much detail.

I called the dealer today and that nincompoop said, on the looks of it, perhaps the motor needs to be replaced and suggested to get the wiper-motor checked for which they would charge $100.00 to be credited if I get further work done on it!

Oh my God!

But I wonder how come I did not notice this strange set up earlier?

cbeck
04-04-2005, 11:38 PM
imho, dumbest engineering hack yet.

Add your comment to this topic!