Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cost of intake gasket replacement

paulski617
03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Can anyone give a ballpark figure for having the intake gaskets replaced on a 95 lumina? How complicated a job is it? I've seen everything from 2 or 3 hours to 12+ hours on here. Thanks.

jeffcoslacker
03-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Dealers around here go about $750 for it. I figure that equals roughly 6 hours + parts. DIYer that hasn't done it before should figure on having the vehicle down at least one full day, maybe the whole weekend just in case things don't go well.

It's not that big a deal, just a lot of stuff to take apart, and a lot of precision and care needs to be taken to put it back together correctly, so you don't have to do it again.

radioman2002
03-30-2005, 07:10 PM
This sure seems to be a commmon question throughout this forum, I have seen it listed no less than 3 times. BTW I just did one on my son's 96, no big deal, if you follow some simple dissasembly procedures. If you are not an expert at engine repair, I suggest you get a few cardboard boxes to use as templates, draw a diagram of the area of the engine (eg the alternator pully and PS pump) you are working on and punch some holes in the cardboard and put the bolts through it. If you have a digitial camera even better, take some shots from every angle of the engine before dissasembly and a few times during it. It makes for easy reassembly if you can see where all the parts you took of go, especially, wires and vacum lines.

Add your comment to this topic!