Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'98 TJ scraping @ 35 mph

newt_sr
03-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Hail fellow jeepers..... Ok, it took me only 25 years to get my second jeep (first one was in the Army). My buddy ('98 TJ) is making a noise from the front @ 35 mph. It sounds like a brake dust shield scraping (I looked and can't find any damage). I've had it stuck in water/mud above the floorboards ($90 to get a wrecker to pull me out) and was wondering if there's something up in the front axle housing I could have damaged. I've had the rig up on jacks and can't duplicate the noise (figures).
No lift, 30" Kumho MT, 100K+ miles, stock Dana 30 & 35 axles, 4.0L, 5 spd, Gambler rims.
Oh yeah, do 'almost wore out' MT's make your rear end vibrate at <5 mph? I'm hoping somebody is gonna say 'yes'. I just went over 100K miles and the maintenance warranty is ....gone. I ain't afraid to work on my own rigs.... it's just the irony of it all.... Thanks guys...

JDPascal
03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Hail fellow jeepers..... My buddy ('98 TJ) is making a noise from the front @ 35 mph. It sounds like a brake dust shield scraping (I looked and can't find any damage). I've had it stuck in water/mud above the floorboards ($90 to get a wrecker to pull me out) and was wondering if there's something up in the front axle housing I could have damaged. I've had the rig up on jacks and can't duplicate the noise (figures).

Some stabs in the dark here to get your thinking cap working.... Have you checked the hubs for mud? Could be a wheel bearing that lets the hub flex when there is weight on the axle??? Dirt inside the wheels.... you probably keep your pride and joy cleaner than that I bet.:icon16: It might be due to wheel ocillations too....

Oh yeah, do 'almost wore out' MT's make your rear end vibrate at <5 mph? I'm hoping somebody is gonna say 'yes'. I just went over 100K miles and the maintenance warranty is ....gone. I ain't afraid to work on my own rigs.... it's just the irony of it all.... Thanks guys...

The low speed wobble could be due to cupping on the MT tread from a balance problem or weak shocks.... I would say it is likely due to the tires but maybe some one else has some more suggestions.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

JD

newt_sr
03-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanx, you're right, I keep it clean... mostly (good maintenance). The front rotors were replaced with cast when I put in new brake pads (planning on putting in locking hubs...someday). The scraping noise was happening both before and after replacing rotors/pads. So, things are clean.
As how it's my daily driver, I can't afford to get it up in the air to tear into the front axle. I'm thinking about installing a Super 30 (Superior?) axle kit with manual lockers in the front. I'm more of a trail guy instead of a rockcrawler.
I noticed on the Kumho's that every other lug on the tires was a little lower so, I think you're right about the tires (can they mix compounds on the same tire? As in every other lug being softer?). They've been pretty good tires and 'waddling' up to a light is a kick.
Thanx again............

GreenJeep10
03-30-2005, 11:25 PM
I think the every other lug thing could be due to improper rotation sequence of the tire. I had some Goodyears 30" that did the same thing after I failed to rotate them properly. Tires started hopping alittle after awhile and every other lug looked lower than the others. I eventually got some new tires and gave the others to my uncle which he put on his Bronco. After running them the opposite direction for awhile they evened out. Maybe defective tire? Just a thought....

newt_sr
03-31-2005, 05:21 AM
Thanx. I thought when ya run radials backwards ya shred them? Well, cause the steel core to separate...

Add your comment to this topic!