Gas Gauge

rednekfrumhell69
03-29-2005, 08:09 PM
I have a 2000 Jimmy 4x4 and about 6 months ago my wife was going to pass someone on the highway and the service engine soon light came on. I took it to Autozone and they plugged it in and said that it fouled out a cylinder but ever since then my gas gauge will stay on full unless i idle to long then it goes empty until i move or even shake my vehicle. I could really use some advise on this as my extended warranty doesnt extend far enough to cover the fuel system. I have heard all kinds of things from all kinds of people so i could really use some expert opinions.

Thanks

BlazerLT
03-29-2005, 09:01 PM
We need the code they got from the computer.

johnhutchinsusa
04-04-2005, 08:29 AM
I have a 2000 Jimmy 4x4 and about 6 months ago my wife was going to pass someone on the highway and the service engine soon light came on. I took it to Autozone and they plugged it in and said that it fouled out a cylinder but ever since then my gas gauge will stay on full unless i idle to long then it goes empty until i move or even shake my vehicle. I could really use some advise on this as my extended warranty doesnt extend far enough to cover the fuel system. I have heard all kinds of things from all kinds of people so i could really use some expert opinions.

Thanks
Dear Red,
BlazerLt is, of course, correct in needing the code to address your check engine light.
Regarding the fuel guage: I think its likely unrelated to the check engine light.
My gauge (2000 Jimmy) had been flakey for months. Sometimes it showed empty when full or anywhere in between. More often it showed full when empty, The fuel sending unit is on the fuel pump assembly. I used my trip odometer to tell me when to fill up until recently when the fuel pump went out. Advance and the GM dealer both sell the fuel pump assembly complete with sending unit and pressure sensor. Approx. $260 2 weeks ago at Advance. Garage price at the dealer was about $60 higher. Retail, you don't want to know! (;>)
Good Luck!
John

roblisa18
08-16-2005, 08:29 PM
i have a 2000 jimmy also. my full gauge acts same way.
its not the fuel level sensor/ pump on the tank, garage tried 2 of them thinking the 1st one they got was bad. they traced all the wires and could find nothing wrong. anyone cure this problum??? I run on the trip meter now , but with the cost of gas sometimes it would be nice if i didnt have to fill it everytime ( like a few days before payday)
thanks for any help

herkyhawki
08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
My gauge is screwed up too!
I used to put in $20 of gas and it went to Full. Now when I put in $20 of gas, it only goes to Half full.
What could be causing this??

BlazerLT
08-17-2005, 05:08 PM
My gauge is screwed up too!
I used to put in $20 of gas and it went to Full. Now when I put in $20 of gas, it only goes to Half full.
What could be causing this??

:lol: do you REALLY think $20 fills a Jimmy? I don't think so.....

20 for a half is just about right.

ZL1power69
08-18-2005, 10:55 PM
:lol: do you REALLY think $20 fills a Jimmy? I don't think so.....

20 for a half is just about right.

He's right again. Actually, $20 will not even give u half a tank these days. I just filled my 95 today and cost $38.75 for 14.7 gallons (tank had about 1/4 left when i filled it).
87 oct here in MD is $2.63. I just replaced CPI and nut kit so hoping to see an improvement over 11-12mpg, lol.

herkyhawki
08-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Relax...Don't get so serious with the numbers.
Please accept my apology for attempting humor.
IT WAS A JOKE. (Do I have to draw you a picture of what has happened to gas prices lately?)

BlazerLT
08-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Relax...Don't get so serious with the numbers.
Please accept my apology for attempting humor.
IT WAS A JOKE. (Do I have to draw you a picture of what has happened to gas prices lately?)

That is one REALLY bad dry joke. :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!