Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mother Effer

street_racer_00
03-29-2005, 07:40 PM
The good news: I finally installed the transmission cooler I talked about
The bad news: I finally installed that transmission cooler I talked about
To make a long story short, there is a leak somewhere in that goddamned plumbing system, and I haven't a clue where it is...I'm hoping it's just one of the hoses wasn't clamped tight enough...in any event, I took it for a test drive, came back, and there was tranny fluid all over the front of my car.

RedLightning
03-29-2005, 07:44 PM
That sucks...did you install it yourself or have someone else do it? Cause I bet if a shop did it for you they might fix it up for free!!!!!!!

CivRacer95
03-29-2005, 07:47 PM
:eek: What did you call me??

J/P. Sorry to hear about that. Hope you can solve your problems soon before things can worsen. L8...

street_racer_00
03-29-2005, 08:25 PM
I did a DIY deal...shoulda known better...I'm hoping it's just that one of the hose clamps...I've isolated the problem to either the place where the hose enters the cooler, or the place where the hose exits the cooler....I don't have a puddle forming under my car, so I know it's not one of the main lines...it just looks like someone came with a spray can full of transmission fluid and sprayed it all over my AC condenser and underside of my car.

drftk1d
03-29-2005, 08:28 PM
maybe all the fluid will run out and give you an excuse to swap to a manual transmission.

street_racer_00
03-29-2005, 08:31 PM
HAHA jackass...no I was thinking the same thing...but I don't have enough money to do that right now.

drftk1d
03-29-2005, 08:32 PM
i know i know.

are you using A/N fittings on the hose ends?

street_racer_00
03-29-2005, 08:34 PM
i know i know.

are you using A/N fittings on the hose ends?
uhhhh what are those?:uhoh:

drftk1d
03-29-2005, 08:57 PM
army navy fittings (for the hose ends), theyre the red and blue ones. they are easy to work with.

street_racer_00
03-29-2005, 09:06 PM
can you post a pic of them or something?

whtteg
03-29-2005, 09:16 PM
They look like the fittings on the end of these nitrous lines:
http://www.bonacoinc.com/images/nitrous_hose_2md.jpg
and
http://www.bonacoinc.com/images/nitrous_hose_md.jpg

street_racer_00
03-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Ahhh thanks...the stupid intructions just called for hose clamps, so I dunno.

chevytrucks92
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Ahhh thanks...the stupid intructions just called for hose clamps, so I dunno.

Hose clamps should be good enough. You probably just dont have them tight enough and/or you dont have the hose pushed far enough on the trans. cooler.

You may even have a pin hole or two in your rubber hose. By the way you explained it being sprayed on your air conditioner radiator, then that very well could be your problem.

street_racer_00
03-29-2005, 09:35 PM
The problem is that I can't judge the volume of tranny fluid being lost, so I don't know how long I can go with it in it's current state...I remember having some trouble cutting the goddamn hose to length, so I might have butchered the ends of the hose a bit...I think the clamp is too far down to the end of the hose, and needs to be moved up the hose away from the cooler...it is soooo hard to get them all the way tight though, because my hands barely fit in between the AC compressor and the front of my car(I put the cooler in front of the AC compressor between the front of my car).

-Jayson-
03-29-2005, 09:52 PM
hmm that kinda sucks, but when its all good and installed tell me how it works.

chevytrucks92
03-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Just check the fluid in your transmission to see how much you're loosing. Either way though, you shouldn't drive it and it leaking.

I'm not at all familiar with your kind of cars, but I know in order to put a trans. cooler on my truck, you have to take the grille shell out. This gives you alot of room and makes it alot easier to work with, lol.

But the thing to do is crank your car, jack it up and get underneath it and just look at where the fluid is comgin from. Get somebody to take it in and out of gear and all that, but it should leak by it just running. That will be a sure fire way to tell if your hose's are not all the way on or if your clamps need to be tightened or if you have a hole in your hoses.

street_racer_00
03-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Update: I detached the hose feeding into the cooler and found a hole about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom of the hose where I had mis-cut it. I cut it cleanly off at the gouged point, and decided to use one of the OEM hinge clamps that came on the original OEM cooler hose instead of the wimpy screwdriver hose clamps the kit came with. I ran the car this morning for about 10 minutes in my driveway and rowed the automatic transmission back and forth between the gears a few times and alas, no leaks!

Igovert500
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Glad to hear you got it working. I had an oil cooler leak which plagued my vr4 with problems for weeks...definantly not fun. Glad to hear your's was an easy fix.

Underground_Killah
04-02-2005, 03:30 AM
man sorry to hear about your problem.... that sucks, at least you have it somewhat figured out

Underground_Killah
04-02-2005, 03:31 AM
didn't see the second page...

glad you got it fixed!

Add your comment to this topic!