Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intake / Exhaust / Engine Management

motrrrpsycho
03-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Has anyone installed the Gibson swept side exhaust on a Tundra (or any Gibson exhaust on any other vehicle for that matter)? Just wondering if anyone has found it to be a good product, how loud it is, etc. Its allot cheaper than Borla system. I'll probably either get one of these or maybe a Flowmaster.

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as getting the fuel injection system re-mapped to get optimal utilization of aftermarket intakes and/or exhausts? I mean, is it necessary to do that at all, or is it marginally beneficial or very beneficial or what? Is it possible to re-map a stock ECU, or do you have to replace it with an aftermarket chip or add an engine management system of some sort? Anyone know of a place in the Portland, OR area that can fine tune the map of a stock ECU or engine management system?

Incidentally, I just installed the K&N FIPK intake system on my 02 V8 Tundra. In case anyone is wondering what it is like, here are my impressions so far.

It is much easier to install then I thought when I first got it and saw how many little parts were in the box. It seemed like it would maybe be difficult, but turned out to be easy, even for me, and I'm not really much of a "mechanically inclined" person.

I was hoping it would allow me to hear the awesome V8 rumble a little more, and it does sound good, but only when you REALLY put your foot into it. Under normal driving conditions you can't hear a difference, or it is barely noticeable. So I was a little disappointed about that, but that was due to my lack of understanding of how an intake system works and why a less restrictive intake allows you to hear more sound.

When you have the intake off, you see the little "trap door" (I don't know what its actually called) on the font of the motor that opens to pull air in. When I saw that, I realized that its when this door is open that sound escapes from the motor on the intake side of things, and that when there is a less insulating intake system piping air to it that more sound escapes. The door opens to varying degrees -- its not just open or closed -- and the extent to which the door is open depends on how hard you are revving the engine. I'm sure allot of people will read that and say "no sh*t Sherlock", but I'm writing this to inform others who, like me, are thinking of getting an intake system but don't have allot of general engine knowledge.

As for the performance benefits of more power and better gas mileage -- I don't know yet. I put this on after owning the truck for about 2 weeks and am just starting to track my gas mileage now, so I won't have before/after data -- only after, and I don't have that yet. I may report back at some point in the future on after gathering data. No idea about the power aspect. I assume its improved, but unless you put it on a dyno, who knows? All I can say so far is that my truck still runs great and I am having no problems with the intake and have no complaints about it. With the K&N name and reputation, I have faith that the claimed power and fuel efficiency benefits are there, I just have no way to verify those as of yet. As for living with it, you would never even know it was in there unless you look under the hood (it looks cool) or put the pedal to the metal, in which case it sounds bad @ss...

Add your comment to this topic!