Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Any DieCast painters in here?

ZBlacktt
03-29-2005, 12:27 PM
I posted this over in the Die Cast section and was told this section could be a better source to post it in. Just want the cars painted Black, that's all.

Thanks guys.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=387322

Ogryn
03-29-2005, 07:28 PM
I might be able to do it, what price range are you going for?

Also, are you the same ZBlacktt that is on KCSR? Just wondering.

ZBlacktt
03-30-2005, 01:54 AM
I might be able to do it, what price range are you going for?

Also, are you the same ZBlacktt that is on KCSR? Just wondering.

Yep, same one :naughty: I get around. Is it really that much of a project to paint the cars? I mean some of you got like custom wheels, motors going on, stereo systems, lol.

nice Z model btw.

Ogryn
03-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Some times it can be difficult to disassemble the car to bare body. I had a Corvette I was going to paint, but the body was too hard to strip. Also, Do these cars have any decals on the body? Those can sometimes be hard to transfer too.

PM me with your price range too, if you can.

ZBlacktt
03-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Some times it can be difficult to disassemble the car to bare body. I had a Corvette I was going to paint, but the body was too hard to strip. Also, Do these cars have any decals on the body? Those can sometimes be hard to transfer too.

PM me with your price range too, if you can.

Well, I can show you this.

In one minutes time, four little screws later got me here.

http://www.streetneeds.com/uploads/ot/amage0001.jpg

Flip the body over and see the four little screws holding the doors, hood and dash. About 45 seconds to take those out. Back hatch pops right out with one little screw.

http://www.streetneeds.com/uploads/ot/amage0002.jpg

With in 5 minutes gets you here. Windshield just pops right out once the dash comes out. The headlights will do the same.

http://www.streetneeds.com/uploads/ot/amage0003.jpg

So this is not rocket science by no means, lol

Viper looks like this and is in the mail coming. So not sure about taking it apart. But I suspect it's not much different.
I'll want the white strips painted over. Just want them all gloss Black.

http://www.streetneeds.com/uploads/ot/amage0004.jpg

Scale-Master
03-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Taking it apart is not even half the job and sometimes plastic parts can be damaged trying to excise them prior to painting, depends on the individual casting.
I've had times where two of the same exact casting come apart completely different depending on how much glue and heat was used to assemble them at the factory. (They are meant to be permanently assembled.)

Also, replacing the tampos and stickers is not always all that easy since most 1/18 scale diecasts have no kit counterpart to borrow from. (I can do it, but I create decals, not everyone has the means to do that.)

Often painting over the existing paint (not stripping the original off) yields doors and hoods that do not work properly, or chip the paint due to the extra thickness.
Care still must be used even if you do strip to not over paint with too much primer (yes, it'll need to be primed if stripped) or too thick of paint and maybe clearcoat if desired.

Since you can take them apart why not just shoot them with some Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black spray lacquer yourself. That stuff works great, goes on thin, glosses up easily, dries fast and can be rubbed out if needed... Don't forget a thin coat of primer if you do strip it... - Mark

ZBlacktt
03-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Taking it apart is not even half the job and sometimes plastic parts can be damaged trying to excise them prior to painting, depends on the individual casting.
I've had times where two of the same exact casting come apart completely different depending on how much glue and heat was used to assemble them at the factory. (They are meant to be permanently assembled.)

Also, replacing the tampos and stickers is not always all that easy since most 1/18 scale diecasts have no kit counterpart to borrow from. (I can do it, but I create decals, not everyone has the means to do that.)

Often painting over the existing paint (not stripping the original off) yields doors and hoods that do not work properly, or chip the paint due to the extra thickness.
Care still must be used even if you do strip to not over paint with too much primer (yes, it'll need to be primed if stripped) or too thick of paint and maybe clearcoat if desired.

Since you can take them apart why not just shoot them with some Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black spray lacquer yourself. That stuff works great, goes on thin, glosses up easily, dries fast and can be rubbed out if needed... Don't forget a thin coat of primer if you do strip it... - Mark

Yea, after taking this thing apart in 5 minutes. I was thinking this is not all as difficult as I was thinking. I've detailed and had parts on my cars powder coated. So I'm no stranger to definitions. I can mask sections off as well. I'll go look for that paint you mentioned today. I take it that would be a hobby store of some kind and not so much Walmart? Thanks for the heads up.

Scale-Master
03-30-2005, 03:55 PM
That's right, it's not a Wal-Mart type item. A good hobby shop should have it, about 5 bucks a can, but worth it for the ease and quality... - Mark

Add your comment to this topic!