Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

intake question

jaybtrx
03-28-2005, 02:29 PM
i jsut got an aftermarket intake off of ebay, and i installed it but i tested my 0-60 time and it was a whole second slower than with my stock intake. does anyone know y this is?

dmbrisket 51
03-28-2005, 05:44 PM
lots of factors, such as air temp, engin temp, tire pressure, tire were, wind conditions and direction... the variables are almost endless, you would have to dino test it for an accurate reading, with the engin at operation temp *not cold* and one right after the other

OverBoardProject
03-28-2005, 06:26 PM
it helps if we know what sort on intake we're dealing with. If it's for a carburated engine you might have to tune the carb.

you won't really notice any difference unless you have a high flow exhaust.
A stock exhaust with an aftermarket intake might actually rob power since the engine just can't breath right

jaybtrx
03-28-2005, 07:32 PM
i have a 2.2L, that sux that i need an exhaust. i thought i had heard taht before, but thanks for the help, any good cheap mufflers? other than raven, cherry bomb maybe?

dmbrisket 51
03-28-2005, 08:39 PM
back the short bus up a min. a 2.2l? whats your 0-60? 40 seconds? lol jk, a 2.2l is not the moter to be spending money on trying to make it quick, yes it is a 4 cylender, but its not your handa b 20 dohs zc 4 cylender. If you want to make your truck quicker, invest in a new moter, the 2.2 is kind of a lost cause, unless you put themoney into a TURBO charger, thats about the only thing that will give the little moter git' up and go, a cold air intake and exhaust will not give any noticable gain in any moter, the two combined in my 98 4.3l did, it kicks you back to the seat a little harder, but i had more to work with when i started then you did

OverBoardProject
03-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm not looking down at you jaybtrx but your the first person that I've ever heard of that did his intake before the exhaust.

too bad that it didn't work out.

On the brighter side when you do the exhaust you will really wake the motor up now.
You might have to get a chip to experience the full potential, but that's all you can reasonably do without a motor upgrade.

kenyonja2007
03-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I've learned not to try any harder than I already have trying to get more power out of my 2.2. I put a flowmaster and an ebay intake on it, and it may have done something very minimal, but mostly just made it louder. I've just learned to live with it.

Add your comment to this topic!