Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C - R134a retrofit?

gotdurt
03-28-2005, 02:10 PM
I am looking to getting my A/C going again in my 92 Accord, and am wondering about these retrofit kits that they claim will work on all vehicles ( http://www.id-usa.com/ ). Has anyone here done this? If so, how were the results? Is there any reason that it won't work on my car?

My car is currently at a Firestone Service Center where they want $1300 to do a retrofit, which includes replacing the compressor (they claim mandatory on these Accords, despite it's current condition). The car isn't worth that, but Texas does get hot... They said some vehicles don't require much for the retrofit, but the Accord does...

Any other creative solutions you guys have tried?

jeffcoslacker
03-28-2005, 05:14 PM
I have used ID's retrofit kit on a number of different makes and models, not a Honda though. I don't see why it would be a problem. You have to have access to a pump to evac the system, though, or you are wasting your time. If you have a bunch of air and 134A in the system, you'll blow up stuff pretty fast. I've only done one that didn't seem to work too well, and I suspect it had blockage issues. The '77 LTD I had worked better with 134A than freon. It worked so well, after a while you had to cut it back, it got too cold. My Caprice had a bad compressor, so I went to the boneyard and got a 134A compressor off a '96 Blazer and it worked great too. I was worried about that one cuz the original compressor siezed after I charged it with freon, but I didn't see any debris in the lines so I took a chance and it worked fine. Depending on how long your A/C hasn't worked, the compressor on yours might disintegrate too as soon as you try to charge it.

jeffcoslacker
03-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Now that I think about it, that's probably why they want to do the compressor. They couldn't warrantee it otherwise, there's no telling what an old one is gonna do when put back into service, especially with a different refrigerant and oil in it.

lorunner
03-30-2005, 04:35 PM
We do some retrofits at the dealer and all we do is dump a special Pag oil in the system, loc-tite the new fittings on and recharge it. we never replaced a compressor to do it unless it was physically bad.

Actually there is a S/B 05-020 issued by honda that only says to add oil install valves and recharge.

The honda part number is
38020-Sm4-A1AH

So to answer the question i think, the compressor does not need to be replaced in order to do a retrofit.

So my suggestion is go to the dealer with the part number , buy the kit and give it to the shop and tell them to read the instructions in side and do it!!!

I think the kit is pretty cheap too. Maybe under 100 bucks

jeffcoslacker
03-30-2005, 05:15 PM
We do some retrofits at the dealer and all we do is dump a special Pag oil in the system, loc-tite the new fittings on and recharge it. we never replaced a compressor to do it unless it was physically bad.

Actually there is a S/B 05-020 issued by honda that only says to add oil install valves and recharge.

The honda part number is
38020-Sm4-A1AH

So to answer the question i think, the compressor does not need to be replaced in order to do a retrofit.

So my suggestion is go to the dealer with the part number , buy the kit and give it to the shop and tell them to read the instructions in side and do it!!!

I think the kit is pretty cheap too. Maybe under 100 bucks

About 30 for the ID kit, I'd have someone vac it and check for integrity, then shoot it yourself. It's pretty foolproof. But you still have a chance that the comp will unload if it hasn't worked in a while (like several years) If it's just been since last season or whatever, it should be OK.

scriccs
03-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Would this fix a clogged ac core or compressor. My ac isnt working now, and it is either a clogged core or in need of freon. Would this work for me? Also, how much is this stuff?

gotdurt
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Would this fix a clogged ac core or compressor. My ac isnt working now, and it is either a clogged core or in need of freon. Would this work for me? Also, how much is this stuff?
If your A/C just quit working, chances are good that it's low on refrigerant. From what I understand, many systems are designed so that compressors switch off when the refrigerant gets to a certain low level. The question is, where's the leak? In my case, if it turns out to be a slow leak, I don't really care....

Visit the link in my first post, it'll tell you a lot about the kit. I found it at Advance Auto Parts for $35, but that site has a list of stores that carry their products.

mysatilac
03-31-2005, 02:42 PM
The retro fit kit is for systems that are because R-12 is so expensive, dangerous, and outdated...its less expensive to retro fit and fill with R-134a, than to just fill with R-12
I got my kit at WalMart in the Auto. section, but its not listed online.

I did a retro fit on a couple of cars, worked Better than new
Shops as mentioned before want to change out the compressor so they can warranty it.

You shouldn't have a problem and should get your lines vaccumed of the R-12 by a shop as long as you haven't tried putting R-134a in yet.
yeah like lorunner said, you can just buy a kit that comes with new valves with loctite on them, after the lines have been purged, then shoot in the new 134a which, if you buy it in a kit, should come with oil premixed.

Real easy, cost you about $40 as opposed to $1300
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...if it doesn't then there is a problem with your system, not just the refrigerant

gotdurt
04-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Just an update -
Got the retro kit, put the adapters on, opened the valve, put the system would only take about a 1/3lb; compressor wouldn't cycle. Checked the fuse, relay, jumped the clutch, everything good, so it had to be a blockage (not likely), or a bad leak on the hi side before the switch. Put the gauge back on, which showed the pressure had dropped. I topped it back off and shut it down. I thought I heard hissing from the pressure switch, unplugged the wire connector, and viola! The pressure bled off within a minute! Luckily Van's had one in stock; put it on, charged it up compressor came on and now our 7 mo old kiddo has cold air... $65 total. $1300 my a$$!

Thanks to everyone for your input!

deepconcentratn
06-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey Lo,

I know I am responding to an old ad but I need air fast. It can get real hot in the south and my Integra is kililng me. I read your thread and had to ask you...
How did you put the PAG oil in. Did you just put in the low side line. How did you do it

jay173
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/air-conditioning--cooling-tools---equipment-service-a-c-oil-system-service.html

webbch
07-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Been awhile since I checked in here. No offense intended, but a lot of misinformation here.

Ah - the interdynamics company in the link - the company responsible for bringing you "arctic freeze", or "black death in a bottle", containing sealers that spell certain death for your A/C system. I would never TOUCH their "complete" retrofit kit if you ever want a functioning a/c system. Their retrofit adapters are probably OK, and I see they sell the retrofit labels, so at least they're doing something right.

First, when retrofitting to R134a, you need to be aware that R134a is not compatible with the mineral oil used in the R12 system. Thus, the correct way to do a retrofit is to remove the lines and flush them of the old oil. You should also remove the evaporator and condenser and flush it. When adding back oil, be aware that the BVA Auto 100 oil is compatible with both R12 and R134a, so not a bad choice. As for the compressor, it may be that the seals are not compatible with R134a.

Then, while you have the system apart, you'll need to replace the receiver/drier while it's open as standard procedure. Additionally, the cooling of R134a will not be as good as the R12 was with the stock setup, so I would HIGHLY recommend converting to a "parallel flow condenser" which is just a fancy name for a condenser that has a lot more surface area to transfer the heat. The A/C system on these accords were fairly marginal to begin with, so going to R134a without updating the condenser is asking for pretty substandard cooling. This will most likely mean custom hoses for the condenser.

The service center is probably quoting you a pretty reasonable price for a job done properly. The car may not be worth it, but the more important question is, is your comfort worth it?

Personally, I have a 92 accord with R12, and I'm sticking with R12 only in it. Even with that, on those 110°F days we have here in Arizona, the A/C system barely cools adequately in the front. We got a van with rear A/C primarily because the (stock) A/C is not adequate for the kids in the back. I'm planning to change the condenser in the future, but keeping with the R12. Yeah, it's expensive, but I bit the bullet awhile back and got a tank of the stuff since 2 of my vehicles are R12, and I plan to keep them that way.

Chad

BTW, if you want to do the job properly, check out this (http://www.autoacforum.com/) forum. I'm not affiliated with them in any way - just know that you'll find a lot of good info on servicing your a/c system over there. Do a search for "accord" and a number of retrofit topics come up.

Add your comment to this topic!