Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Future floor wax on clear plastic parts

SFTB
03-28-2005, 12:43 PM
I'd like to have comments on your personal experience with this liquid product on Tamiya clear plastic parts. I'm almost done on my Mitsubishi EVO V WRC and I noticed some minor scratches on the window. I have seen Testor's Workshops from Bret Green #13
http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop.htm

and I would like to try airbrushing Future wax on my window.

I have to tell you that I already painted the window interior with Tamiya Semi-Gloss black (from a can). Will it affect the paint?

Can water be used to clean the airbrush after I'm done? Would methyl alcohol be better?

Thanks for sharing your good and bad experiences

Jaymes
03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I used it on my Revell Camaro to get rid of some scratches. I just poured the stuff into a container and dipped the whole windshield. The effect is pretty nice. You'd like to use it to try and make the window free of extremely small scratches and brushes. I'm positive it'll have the same effect on Tamiya windows and clear parts.

935k3
03-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Future is totally safe for all clear plastics and it can be cleaned and stripped with ammonia which is also safe on all plastics. Instead of spraying try wiping it on, it can be done with out streaks. Use a clean cloth(or tissue) and dip it in future than get the excess off by damping on a paper towel, then wipe it on lightly without applying any pressure.
Also holding it under a warm lamp helps it level out.

mikemechanic
03-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Airbrushing Future on glass does not work, it has to be dipped. I would say aslong as the paint you have on the windows is already dry and cured that dipping should be ok.

Lownslow
03-28-2005, 09:03 PM
yeah it works i brushed a whole car with it litteraly

MPWR
03-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah, Future will fix fine scratches/blemishes just fine. Wash the windshield with a litle dish soap beforehand. Dip it, don't spray it. If you want to spray, try Tamiya X22- it gives much better results out of an airbrush. Before you dip it, find a way you can leave the windshield standing upright, in a dust free enclosure, for about an hour or two. Dip it, stand it up, close it up, leave it alone, and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results- it tends to make clear plastic look incredibly clean and clear.

Afterwards, clean only with water and dish soap- do not clean with alcohol or window cleaner, as this will strip the Future. And you will have no problems with the TS black and future. If you decide to strip the Future after dipping it, do it in Windex type glass cleaner. This will leave the TS black alone. If you do it in Methyl alcohol, it will likely soften/strip the black as well.

Future is a highly overrated commodity in modeling, especially amongst the model airplane community- but there are a couple of things that it does do really well- and using it as a dip for clear parts is about the best.

Add your comment to this topic!