Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about side markers

Max Power
03-30-2002, 12:02 PM
My current project has the side markers molded as part of the body. So my question is how do I paint it such that it actually looks like a light and not just some orange bump?

Twist
03-30-2002, 12:06 PM
What I did on my Lancer Evo V was paint it Metallic Silver and then paint over it with Clear Orange. It worked alright. The other option is what I will probably wind up doing on my Signal Skyline. Shave the side marker off and then custom cut out that shape from a clear sheet and treat it like you would the headlights.

Max Power
03-30-2002, 12:44 PM
What I did on my Lancer Evo V was paint it Metallic Silver and then paint over it with Clear Orange.

I had thought about doing that, but I wasn't sure if it would work out okay. Maybe I'll try it.

Guiddy
03-30-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Twist
What I did on my Lancer Evo V was paint it Metallic Silver and then paint over it with Clear Orange.

That's what I have done with all my kits! Judge for yourself in the gallery!

pkw1
03-30-2002, 12:56 PM
yup.. me too ;)

daggerlee
03-30-2002, 01:02 PM
I found a similar tip here:

http://www.arc6.prohosting.com/Tools%20'n'%20Tips/0001-1000/001-100/041-050/TNT041_Nav-lights_/tnt041.htm

edit by jay@af: fixing link

flyonthewall
03-30-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Twist
What I did on my Lancer Evo V was paint it Metallic Silver and then paint over it with Clear Orange. It worked alright. The other option is what I will probably wind up doing on my Signal Skyline. Shave the side marker off and then custom cut out that shape from a clear sheet and treat it like you would the headlights.

Yep thats the way i do it too but to make it look a little more realistic, brush on a few coats of future/klear floor wax to give the impression of the lens.

Jay!
03-30-2002, 05:06 PM
I'm trying to make some clear replicas of the molded-in one for my WRX, but the meduim is proving troublesome... :( But I want clear lenses with a tiny orange bulb inside, and this is the only way I can think of to do it... :smoka:

Max Power
03-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I just tried it, and it looks great!

flyonthewall
03-31-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by jay@af
I'm trying to make some clear replicas of the molded-in one for my WRX, but the meduim is proving troublesome... :( But I want clear lenses with a tiny orange bulb inside, and this is the only way I can think of to do it... :smoka:

Jay - why not get hold of some clear casting resin??? They should have it in most good model shops. All u would need to do then is press some clay or 2part model putty against the repeater, wait to set, then drop in a little of the resin. When its set hard u could then use a small bit in a pin vise to drill a slight way into the back of the light to represent the blub, then add a touch of clear orange.

Ive not done this myself but it should work!!!

Jay!
03-31-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by flyonthewall
Jay - why not get hold of some clear casting resin??? They should have it in most good model shops. All u would need to do then is press some clay or 2part model putty against the repeater, wait to set, then drop in a little of the resin. When its set hard u could then use a small bit in a pin vise to drill a slight way into the back of the light to represent the blub, then add a touch of clear orange.

Ive not done this myself but it should work!!! It probably would work, but I need so little... :(

flyonthewall
03-31-2002, 04:50 PM
Thats the only drawback with the stuff! I guess its only worthwile if your going to do this mod often, then again if u want to make copies of some parts like wheels (very useful!) u could use the resin for that. Just because its clear won't matter.

Alternatively u might want to try out Humbrol Clear Fix which is intended to fix clear parts if u hadn't guessed. It sets quite hard and im sure u can use it for this job.

Tell u what, i have some, i will try it out myself and let u know how it goes.

Add your comment to this topic!