Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air intake or Exhaust

zosimov
03-28-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm looking for a few performance mods before I put a 3 inch lift on my taco. Anyone have any experience with what works best? I'm looking at the airiad intake system first.

OBATDDSD
03-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Air intake is the cheapest. Do the deck mod with an amsoil airfilter. Its cheaper then cold air intake and works a bit better.

kupe702
04-03-2005, 07:18 AM
i got a 99 taco v-6 and and got nice results installing a high flow straight pipe intake from injen technologies(better mpg,power,less hesitation plus gave the engine a cool sound when on the gas)$160, then just get a basic cone filter from autozone or pepboys you can get for 10-15 bucks, ifound out the hard way that k&n was a waste of money and caused more problems they like 60-75 bucks and the cleaning kit was another 25 on top of that when i did clean it following instructions to the tee the oil provided that they say to saturate the filter ended up going into my intake ruining the mass air flow sensor which is a coupl of hundred bucks, the cheap one i bought performed just as well and is a dry type filter element, the k&n which requires to hve oil for it to work just became a dust collector caking worse and worse , i also installed a flowmaster exhaust and got improved mpg and engine performance and gave it a nice rumble exspecially when you get on it, next i want headers and a high flow catalyic converter, edelbrock and downey are a couple that carry those, heard and read alot of good things , don't waste money on those computer chips i read into them and found they give slight results and only at certain rpms 4200-redline.

myronf
04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I would advise using another brand other than airaid. They did not respond to me when I encountered problems with their throttle body kit. I would assume that the same would apply to the other products such as the air intake.

I have no regrets purchasing the Gibson cat back stainless exhaust for my 2004 Tacoma. You will have to cut the exhaust pipe after the converter with the Gibson product. On the positive side, you will not have to disturb the O2 sensor. I have heard that at least one person had problems after switching the sensor over to the after market exhaust. The sensor may have been contaminated or damaged during the swap. Unlike airaid Gibson does respond to problems with their products.

Add your comment to this topic!