01 Grand Am GT intermittent horm problem

Jerrywisser
03-28-2005, 09:25 AM
I have a 2001 Grand Am GT which has an intermittent problem with the horn (about 90% does not work). The problem SEEMS to be in the horn switch on the steering wheel, although I have not been able to prove it. I was told that to replace the switch on the steering wheel would be big $$. I would like to troubleshoot the problem further before I take it to a dealer. Where is the horn relay on a 2001 Grand Am GT, and does anyone know the wire colors coming from the switch on the wheel that I can check for voltages when the switch is pressed. Finally, if the problem is in the steering wheel is this something that I can replace or, because of the air bag, does it have to go to a dealer.

Thanks

Jerry

Knifeblade
03-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Well, may I just suggest an old-timer trick? It gets the horn working, usually without much cost. However, I take NO responsibility for you being able to find the button when you need it, K?

Anyhoo, the3 horn is plugged two-wire harness, disconnect the plug, and run two wires off the terminals, one to battery + terminal, other to ground, but the ground wire comes inside the car, and is attached to a button push-to activate-switch [radio shack item] sort of wire to switch terminal, then wire to other switch terminal with a 15 amp in-line fuse in the that line. Mount the button where ya can get to it quick.

The idea is direct current to horn from battery, fuse-protected, with a switch to close the circuit, bypassing all the fun, $$$ stuff in the steering wheel.

However, while the horn will work [presuming the horn is working already], I only offer this thought as a temp. fix.

One fast way to check horn for operation, is unplug the wring harness and jump the horn terminals, QUICKLY from the battery + and _ terminals. If the thing beeps healthily, then ayep the switch is toast.

If the horn sounds nada or super weak, it may be the horn and NOT the horn switch.

Hope this helps.

Knifeblade
03-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Oh, one more thought, clean the horn terminals and also the plug connections, Battery + cable off!!!!

Might just be some simple corrosion or dirt.

Jerrywisser
03-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks Knifeblade,

I thought about the switch but there is one problem, this is my wife's baby.

I will try to check the horn tonight to see if it is working, but I am about 95% sure it is in the steering wheel (it would not be the first time I was wrong). If it is in the steering column then we will have to figure out how much money we can afford on a horn.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jerry

Knifeblade
03-30-2005, 04:58 AM
YW, Jerry, horns aren't too bad. Surf www.autozone.com for a benchmark price for a horn to compare to other places.

Tam

Knifeblade
03-30-2005, 05:02 AM
Nuts, I completely forgot one thing ya can also check.

If ya have a voltmeter, auto-correcting polarity type, unplug harness, probe it DCV setting to around 50V range. Press the horn, see if it shows current at the horn plug.

shadow66
04-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Nuts, I completely forgot one thing ya can also check.

If ya have a voltmeter, auto-correcting polarity type, unplug harness, probe it DCV setting to around 50V range. Press the horn, see if it shows current at the horn plug.
Hey shadow66 here, My daughter has a 99 grand am and we are having a horn problem also. What I have found is her's works only when the steering wheel is in certain places, I have yet to figure out why. I had to remove her multi function switch and clean it because of the clicking emergency flasher switch.After I reasembled it we discover the horn doesn't work. I remove the m/f switch again and find that the horn pin is sticking(that's the metal pin that sticks out the front of the switch and contacts the copper ring).Well after lubricating and futher testing i find the horn works when i turn the wheel to certain positions. I have yet to know why any ideas?

Knifeblade
04-03-2005, 05:46 PM
ah, shadow, that could the same prob. that jerry is having. what happens is that the contact pin can wear the copper plate into a groove. If ya realy delve into it, you will see a copper plate circular-shape around that pin. Sometimes, the copper grooves away, meaning there is no + - contact. thus there is no signal to the horn. If that is case, only solution is full replace.

Knifeblade
04-03-2005, 05:55 PM
I still suggest FIRST, direct battery-jump to the horn terminals themselves first. With harness unplugged from the terminals, run two wires, one each, + and -, from both battery posts to both horn terminals. If it doesn't beep at your first connect, switch the wires at the terminals,[to correct for polarity], to see if the horn itself will sound. all ya do is touch both wires at the same time to the terminals.

If no beep, it the horn, no doubt!!!!!!!! If beep, then it either the harness, or what I described my above post.

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!