Transmission fluid check

skrizan
03-27-2005, 10:22 PM
I have had problems with my transmission slipping occasionally in Drive, If I drop to a lower gear (1,2 or 3) and take off, it is fine, and when I slip it into drive it seems to be fine also. This is happens rarely, but enough that it bothers me, since my daughter is turning sixteen and I planned to let her use this car. I read that it could be low tranny fluid and decided to check it. I took removed the check plug under the vehicle and no fluid ran out, so I started adding fluid in the breather/add hole up top. I added 7 quarts and it never ran out the check hole at the bottom. Eventually it over started to overflow up top in the fill hole.
ANy ideas? (At first I did have the wrong check plug by the way, there are two very close to each other above the oil pan, I don't know what the other one is.)

BNaylor
03-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I have had problems with my transmission slipping occasionally in Drive, If I drop to a lower gear (1,2 or 3) and take off, it is fine, and when I slip it into drive it seems to be fine also. This is happens rarely, but enough that it bothers me, since my daughter is turning sixteen and I planned to let her use this car. I read that it could be low tranny fluid and decided to check it. I took removed the check plug under the vehicle and no fluid ran out, so I started adding fluid in the breather/add hole up top. I added 7 quarts and it never ran out the check hole at the bottom. Eventually it over started to overflow up top in the fill hole.
ANy ideas? (At first I did have the wrong check plug by the way, there are two very close to each other above the oil pan, I don't know what the other one is.)

How to check the tranny fluid on an Alero is still a mystery to much of us. It has been addressed but no answer as of yet. Sounds like you are now overfilled which is not good. Did you do a basic service such as filter
or ATF drain before adding the 7 quarts? The 4T45-E auto tranny only holds a maximum of 9.5 quarts after a complete overhaul.

skrizan
03-28-2005, 01:26 PM
How to check the tranny fluid on an Alero is still a mystery to much of us. It has been addressed but no answer as of yet. Sounds like you are now overfilled which is not good. Did you do a basic service such as filter
or ATF drain before adding the 7 quarts? The 4T45-E auto tranny only holds a maximum of 9.5 quarts after a complete overhaul.

I plan to change the filter tonight, I am wondering if the Haynes manual is showing a picture of the wrong plug as it is above above the motor oil drain pan? I sent an email to Haynes, but they replied back asking for the page number and version of the manual I am using and I did not bring it to work with me. If I pull the pan and change the filter, how do I know how much fluid to put back in?

BNaylor
03-28-2005, 01:40 PM
I plan to change the filter tonight, I am wondering if the Haynes manual is showing a picture of the wrong plug as it is above above the motor oil drain pan? I sent an email to Haynes, but they replied back asking for the page number and version of the manual I am using and I did not bring it to work with me. If I pull the pan and change the filter, how do I know how much fluid to put back in?

Many of us discussed the issue on the forum but no one really knows for sure. On a filter and ATF drain only we estimated somewheres around 4 to 5 quarts but with uncertainty. Supposedly there is a way to check it removing a bolt somewhere on the tranny as you mentioned but don't know what specific one or how much to fill initially and when the fluid drips out of the hole is the engine and tranny in a hot or cold state, park etc.

It would be nice to know for future reference.

BNaylor
03-28-2005, 01:55 PM

BTW - I read somewhere where the check hole bolt/screw/plug may be color coded red or yellow. Think I'll jack it up and check it myself. The curiousity is killing me. lol.

'02 Olds Alero GL2

BNaylor
03-28-2005, 03:12 PM

I think I found it. It is a small plug located adjacent to the engine oil drain plug. It is located on the passenger side of the vehicle on the part of the housing where the right transaxle is located.

Plus here is a link to some info that might help and how to check the level via the hole, although it is for a 4T40-e tranny which should be similar.

www.quality-trans.com/fag/faq8.htm#41

Good luck!

skrizan
03-29-2005, 08:52 AM
I think I found it. It is a small plug located adjacent to the engine oil drain plug. It is located on the passenger side of the vehicle on the part of the housing where the right transaxle is located.

Plus here is a link to some info that might help and how to check the level via the hole, although it is for a 4T40-e tranny which should be similar.

www.quality-trans.com/fag/faq8.htm#41

Good luck!

Thanks, I found it also. The picture in the Haynes Manual is pointing toward this plug but the plug cannot be seen, it looks like the arrow is pointing at a plug on the crankcase above the oil pan. I followed the instructions and drained the 7 extra quarts I put in. Now I at least have a 50/50 mixture of old/new fluid.

Instructions: Run the car for 10 minutes or so to get the fluid warm; jack up the vehicle at all four corners so the car is level, with the car running and the brake depressed, shift through all of the gears, pausing a few seconds at each one; put it in park and remove the plug to check if the fluid is level with the top of the threads, if not, add until it starts to run out of the hole.

BNaylor
03-29-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks, I found it also. The picture in the Haynes Manual is pointing toward this plug but the plug cannot be seen, it looks like the arrow is pointing at a plug on the crankcase above the oil pan. I followed the instructions and drained the 7 extra quarts I put in. Now I at least have a 50/50 mixture of old/new fluid.

Instructions: Run the car for 10 minutes or so to get the fluid warm; jack up the vehicle at all four corners so the car is level, with the car running and the brake depressed, shift through all of the gears, pausing a few seconds at each one; put it in park and remove the plug to check if the fluid is level with the top of the threads, if not, add until it starts to run out of the hole.

Thats really good news. Another mystery solved for all Alero owners on the forum to share.

Add your comment to this topic!