Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which GSR head to use.

bigblockcrx
03-30-2002, 08:32 AM
I have a 1996 GSR motor which I am about to assemble and would like to know if anyone has researched if the 1993 B17 GSR head is better in reguards to air flow. I had it milled and it is within 1cc of the new head so compression is not the question. The newer head has more quench area but I have heard the B17 may be better.
Depending on which head I use I would be using a type R or the new Civic Si intake manifold.
It will be raced as normally aspirated in a 1995 Civic Si so I have used type R pistons to raise the compression.

Thanks.

bigdavedwg
10-23-2002, 05:48 PM
I own a 1992 Integra GS and have had tons of fun messing around with bolt on items such as MSD, Header, Exhaust, Fuel pressure regulator, and a Cold air intake. However my car just isn't fast enough. I was able to come across a cheap B17 GSR short block and want to rebuild the whole engine from the ground up, but I don't know what head to get. I want to put a B18 GSR head, but I don't know if it will fit. What is my best option? I want to get creative.
thanks
David Greenwood- Houston, TX

JD@af
10-27-2002, 06:51 AM
bigblockcrx

I have always heard that the GS-R B18C1 head is the highest flowing head of all B series heads. It has been flowbench tested at 288 cfm. A B16A head, for example, has been tested at 267 cfm. I would use a GS-R head.

bigdavedwg

A B18C1 GS-R head will fit on that B17A block. Haven't heard of anyone using this combination, but you will have better airflow than the B17A head.

Add your comment to this topic!