Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant fan doesn't come on...

bhoward86
03-27-2005, 01:30 PM
I think I noticed that my coolant fan doesnt come on. Maybe Im not letting the engine run long enough, but from what I see it doesn't look like it comes on anymore. The last time I went driving I almost blew my engine and after I let it set so it could cool down I didn't hear my fan.

shawnwilliams
03-29-2005, 07:56 PM
u need a new thrmostat or, you need a new rad. You best best it to buy a new thermostat, if its still bad and you are putting in alot of coolant constantly, its the rad. You can install it yourself and is pretty easy to do or take it to a pro and get ripped off. It took me an ahour and a half to do this when my rad went.

If it is your rad you want to get this fixed at soon as possible, your head gasket (300-400 to get fixed) could go. (or other coolant of engine gaskets)

bhoward86
03-29-2005, 08:00 PM
I changed the thermostat already and I put in some Bar's aluminum leak stopper and that seemed to stop the leak that I had. The thing is though it still over heats.

shawnwilliams
03-29-2005, 08:24 PM
If you have rust on you frame were the rad is or your rad looks really old, its probably the rad, a small hole in the bottom of the rad that leaks only when you drive it (flow of the coolant throught thew rad) and it drips into your frame. The best way to check if its leaking is check your frame and if its dripping say on the other side of the tire. Its your rad.

Ru noticing that u put in alot of coolant?
if you are its you rad.

shawnwilliams
03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
85% of the time its your rad in this case, other 10 is the thermo, and 5 is the fan, fans rarelly never goes. and you changed the thermo. The best bet is the rad.

I had the same problem and i tried to fill holes with the putty stuff u used and still it never worked, mine overheated, and the fan never turned on, and went through coolant, and there was no heat.

bhoward86
03-29-2005, 08:30 PM
No the radiator doesn't leak anymore, so I believe the coolant is going through. It just the cooling fan that doesn't come on.

bhoward86
03-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Yeah thats the other thing, when I turn on the heater, the air is just cool. So the radiator controls whether or not the coolant fan comes on?

shawnwilliams
03-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Ya, when i replaced my rad the fan actually started working an i got warm air.

bhoward86
03-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Hmm well maybe my car has hope then. I appeciate all the help you gave me. Thanks

shawnwilliams
03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
no prob

Add your comment to this topic!