Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Strange noise and starter problem

MLella05
03-27-2005, 11:39 AM
got 2 questions...
just installed a new starter old one was grinding when you turned the key after a couple times it would start and run fine.. checked battery its fine also the new one is still making the grinding noise and will still start eventually but when its running it makes a noise almost like a penny in the vaccum cleaner, something rattling around it never did that with old starter....
so why is it still grinding and what is that noise....
i took the new starter off and looked at it cant see anything loose and all teeth are on fly wheel any help would be useful thanks in advance

by the way 92 88 royale

diesel1962
03-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Sounds like starter pinon gear is engageing with the fly wheel.Or the bendix spring is not pulling pinion gear all the way back.Do thoes starters require shims? I know the older olds bult engins required them when replacing starter.I have not yet had to replace my starter,(94 Olds). Let me know what you find out..Good luck!! Happy Easter!! Diesel1962

MLella05
03-27-2005, 05:47 PM
i dont know anything about needing shims i took off the new starter had it tested it was good put it back on and car wont start at all im taking it to a shop

MLella05
03-27-2005, 06:53 PM
i just heard from friend about shimming starter can anyone tell me whats that about

Hansnet
03-28-2005, 02:55 AM
It IS CRUCIAL to make sure it is shimmed right. Go out RIGHT NOW and buy a chiltons manual at any local parts store, if they dont have that get a hayes.

Not sure if you have ever built a house before but if you have even installed a door in a house you know how important shims are, starters are no different, it needs to be aligned PERFECT with the flywheel.

GET A CHILTONS MANUAL FOR YOUR CAR NOW.

atv087
03-28-2005, 09:17 AM
yea chances are you need so shim it and if you left it like that for a while you could have caused alot more damage

Add your comment to this topic!