Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no crank, 85 Fleetwood HT4100

jp233
03-27-2005, 10:17 AM
my 85 Fleetwood won't crank. it ran fine 3 weeks ago, I pulled it out of the garage and took it for a spin, in the rain, then drove it back into the garage and now it won't even crank! the car was soaking wet when I brought it back in, this I worry about - I've checked the battery connections and the battery is charged fine.

Sometimes there is a loud, continuously clicking noise behind the dash on the left (behind the headlight and wiper switch), when the key is turned to RUN (not start).....

I can't seem to find one but is there a main fusible link I can check? Or some other fuse/relay that is for the ignition ????

the connections at the starter look good, not corroded, so I'd like to avoid taking the starter out only to find that its not the problem (looks like a PITA to get out).

any suggestions ??????? I have a Haynes manual but its not been much help

M.A.C
03-27-2005, 12:13 PM
First thing you should do is clean the battery post at the positive side; acid and corrosion can cut off current from getting to starter. Also, check the cable for corrosion as sometimes acid eats at the cable and causes problems. Check negative side as well. Clean connections and reconnect.

It's possible that the starter solenoid is shot.

But first make sure the battery and cables are good.

Add your comment to this topic!