Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Buick Lasabre

Jag Man
03-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Front driver's window stopped working, on cold days ,did not work until interior was warmed up.Then grinding noise was heard for a few days. Now window in up position and will not move.
Is it the motor ?,or track problem? . What to look for before I purchase a new motor.
Also door panel removal,how to remove without causing more problems.
Need help asap... Thanks Jag Man

buickmastermind
03-29-2005, 11:15 AM
If the grinding noise was metal on metal, then likely it was a motor problem. But, if it sounded like plastic, or glass being gritted against something, then it might be the track.

The door panels usually have several screws hidden from sight that will need to be found. Usually they are on the armrest or by the handles. The panel is also held on by what appear to be plastic screws that pop off but prying them with a screwdriver between the panel and the door.

To be sure what the problem is, you will have to take the panel off the door.

Jag Man
03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Front driver's window stopped working, on cold days ,did not work until interior was warmed up.Then grinding noise was heard for a few days. Now window in up position and will not move.
Is it the motor ?,or track problem? . What to look for before I purchase a new motor.
Also door panel removal,how to remove without causing more problems.
Need help asap... Thanks Jag Man

Thanks for the help ! It's the metal to metal noise ,no doubt it's the motor,Some one mentioned door panel removal......
Door panel removal was found by taking out the red plactic lens,(2 10mm screws) need to remove the arm rest with the controls to get at the other 2 screw again 10 mm. It sound easy enough ,I'll try do do this project within the next 2 days.

rustbucket
03-31-2005, 11:02 AM
On my 99, the motor engages a sprocket (sort of looks like a sprocket on a bicycle) Possibly the gears are stripped. The motor itself should not make much noise. (new motor $72 at autozone)

Add your comment to this topic!