99 Tahoe acceleration rear Clunk noise

99 tahoe
03-27-2005, 12:53 AM
I have a 1999 Tahoe 4x4 with 41000 miles on it. At the first start of acceleration only when I am in 2 wheel drive I am hearing a slight clunk noise comming from the rearend. I took the truck too a mechanic and was told it is the rear end noise is just the rearend spooling up and the noise is normal.At first the mechanic thought maybe the noise was brake drum shifting from the breaks, or maybe U joints, or rear leaf spring movement but all items checked out OK. The Noise does not sound Normal I have driven in a few Thaoe's and never felt or heard this slight metal clangy Noise. Can anyone help?

JohnB351
03-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I also have a 99 tahoe thad did the same thing. I took it in for my 50k mile lube, and all oils were changed. after that, no more clunking! So, try changing the rearend oil.

nickmcc
03-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Does the noise kinda sound like a "honk", my 99 does the same thing, but it will do it in 4 wheel drive too. In 01 there was a recall on Silveradoes doing/making the same noise, i THINK they replaced the carrier bearing to fix it, although I am not positive.

cockblocker
03-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Guys...Have a mechanic check out your slip yokes. My 99 'Hoe does the same thing. Took her into a GM dealer and they say it's because of the type of lube used on the factory slip yokes...and that GM did come out with a recall on the yoke sleeve...made out of nickel. But according to the mechanic even those start clunking after about 20k miles. He lubed mine and it stopped clunking until a month later. I've gotten used to it.

I also had my ujoints looked at just to make sure...they were and still are fine.

moondog926
03-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey.....I had the same problem with the clunking in my '99, had about 77K on it. Everytime I accellerated from a dead stop, sounded and felt like the rear end was going to fall off. My mechaninc thought it was the u joints by my description, but after reading some threads here I found it was much simpler. I actually printed it out and brought it to him, low and behold, flushed the transfer case and it runs smooth as new. Labor and Autotrak fluid, under $50. This forum has saved me hundreds over the couple of years.

kerspse
03-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey, I Have A 1999 Tahoe Too, With The Same Damn Problem. If I Come To A Stop, And On Acceleration, I Was To Press The Gas To Go, I Can Hear A And Feel A Clunk Before I Go. I Dont Know What It Is, But I'm Thinking It's The Tranny That Spins The Axel, Up In Front Like Below The Driver Seat. Because I Keep Hearing A Clunk Form There, But Not Sure What The Hell It Is. It's Pissing Me Off, Because It's Freegin' Annoying And It Is Leaking Tranny Fluid From Near The Yoke And Yoke Sleeve. So I Really Dont Know What To Do. Have Not Brought It To The Mechanics Nor Have I Yet Brought It Over To Have It Checked Out By A Friend, But By Changing My Oil, I Have Noticed It. So I Really Dont Know What To Do, Help If Anyone Has Some Options.

barryloco
03-28-2005, 07:59 PM
slip yoke they shoot them with grease or replace them all together had the same problem and had it replace so far so good.

99 tahoe
03-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Hello all, this site is great everyone has been super helpful thusfar,
I have another question? This is my third transfer case rear seal that the dealer is going to install in under 400 miles any idea what is going on?My truck is still having a clunking squeeky noise comming from the rear when you accelerate from a dead stop and that is why the dealer has it but they sofar are unsure why these transfer seals are leaking after being replaced? WOW OH MY!!!! Any idea's

sgt.rock
04-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Hello all, this site is great everyone has been super helpful thusfar,
I have another question? This is my third transfer case rear seal that the dealer is going to install in under 400 miles any idea what is going on?My truck is still having a clunking squeeky noise comming from the rear when you accelerate from a dead stop and that is why the dealer has it but they sofar are unsure why these transfer seals are leaking after being replaced? WOW OH MY!!!! Any idea's
Had the same problem with my 99, there was a new posi rearend fluid that they put in and it stopped. Don't know if youu have a posi but it worked.

99 tahoe
04-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Had the same problem with my 99, there was a new posi rearend fluid that they put in and it stopped. Don't know if youu have a posi but it worked.

Thankyou

kerspse
04-03-2005, 12:55 AM
My Tahoe is seriously leaking bad. it is the rear transfer seal that is going bad. i heard that even a little knick or small tiny dust that is in or around near the seal, that the seal will only hold up like a month. that's what happened to me. SO REMEMBER to not put a knick on the seal. i am in the process of doing mine by myself, it's really easy to do, just four bolts from the rear axel, drop it and pull it out with a long nose plier, to put it back in, USE YOUR FINGERS not a mallet or wood hammer, dont be a dummy. Press them in tight with fingers. and then realign axel and retighten. about 15-25 minute job. suepr duper easy.

anything else let me know

99 tahoe
04-03-2005, 11:20 AM
dealer said someone knick the transfer shaft with a screw driver or something scratching the iner shaft wich is causing the leak, be careful you donot scratch the transfer case while removing and installing the new seal. thankyou and good luck.

kerspse
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
go with a toyota, it's better and more reliable than a chevy, worth the buy.

WillFravel
04-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Great, that helps a lot. I'll just go sell my car...thanks

99 tahoe
04-22-2005, 08:31 AM
My clunking noise is gone the dealer had to replaced the UJoints as well as changed the lubricant that was used and switch it to Chevy Posi Lock, as for my seal leak guys and gals beware donot scratch your transfer case if changing your rear seal onit, Take it out gently without the use of a screwdriver.Well all noises thusfar are gone and on a lighter note a TOYOTA will Never pull what a CHEVY can there is no tourque in a TOYOTA, There is a reason Chevy owners pay 2 times more in gas than a TOYOTA so all the CHEY people out there keep on TOWING and Trucking because CHEY is a REAL AMERICAN truck not a METRIC WIS WHEEL!!!!!! LOL!!!! Everyone on this site has been great and gave me the knowledge to ask the dealer the proper questions when my truck was serviced so I must say Loud and Clear THANKYOU ALL!!!!!

kerspse
04-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey they say a Toyota can't tow huh!? Well, I know a lot of "American Trucks" can't tow that much because of course, Tranny problems! You may refer to it as Heavy Duty or the 2500 or 3500 series cuz they have a bigger tranny and motor made for towing so if you compare those heavy duty to a toyota, of course a toyota wont be able to tow what those heavy hogs can. But if you compare a Toyota Tundra to a Chevy or GMC 1500 or Ford F150 or Dodge 1500, of course they can all tow about the same class. Toyota has more torque than any 1/2 series out there. You see in 2006 Toyota's coming out with an all new 5.4 liter 350hp motor and over 385lbs of torque. American trucks? Toyota Tundra's are made in America, just because the name brand may be "Japan" doesn't mean it's not an american truck. Made in Indiana, keeps american families feeded, we as consumers buy Toyota, keeps "american" sales man happy so he feeds his "american" family, keeps the system rollin'. Right!? Easy on the gas, and has a higher resale value than ford, dodge, chevy and SAFER than all the domestic trucks. I'm not braggin' about the toyota, I have a gas guzzling TAHOE that can tow but not hefty like my dad's tundra. my dad's tundra tows my 22foot boat like nothing and my Tahoe, I'm definetly trading it in next year for that 06 Tundra. SOrry Domestic truck lovers, i have had enough of the head aches with GM's. Leaking tranny, bad seals, eats gas like drinking water, oil pan bad gasket, shocks worn out, leaking antifreeze, clunking on accleration, too much repairs, too much headache, too much money being spent. It's ridiculous, since last Sept. I have kept all the reciepts and have totaled my truck repairs either done by myself or the shop to total $1,672.74 . Now if that doesn't shock the concious, i dont know what will.

HotRock
01-31-2011, 06:26 PM
I had the clunk problem with my Tahoe. There is a service bulletin dates way back. It can be cured by changing the transfer case fluid and using GM part # 12378396 and it takes 2 cans of this special fluid. I had mine changed and by the time I got home the clunking had quit. Just enough time for the fluid to get to the drive shaft yolk splines. It hasn't clunked since and that has been 100,000 miles. I believe the service bulletin number was 867403.

Add your comment to this topic!