Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OK to replace fuel filter without de-presurizing?

mralias
03-26-2005, 07:16 PM
I have a 95 Buick Lesabre custom with over 173,000 on it. I have no idea when the last time the fuel filter was changed. The Hayes manual tells you to pull the fuel pump relay (wherever that is as it is not ID'd on the firewall) and then run the vehicle out of gas to take the presure off the line. I'm not so sure I like that idea as running the injectors dry as that can cause problems. Was wondering if it would be ok if I undid the gas cap, disconected the battery, wrapped a rag around the filter and slowly lossen to take the presure out of the fuel line? Anyones thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. :iceslolan

jsgold
03-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I have watched two different mechanics do that, if fact they did not unlook the battery. I unhook mine just to be sure. Have a pan available though, as a rag may keep it from spraying, but won't be enough to catch all the gas. Might suggest letting it sit for several hours first too before unhooking to let some pressure escape.

s426
03-27-2005, 09:35 AM
hi
you could check under the hood for fuel pump relay.it could be unde the plastic gaurd on the left of the fire wall.

also you can release pressure by pressing the release valve on fuel line under the hood, i think its geen cap, you` ve got to use the towel put on the valve then press it to release the gas,

also take <-> cable off and wrap i with plastic bag to avoid sparks,also no smoking or fire around your working area,

its not recommended to change feul filter on 4th july. :lol2:

mralias
03-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Welll I did it. I disconected the battery, and opened the gas cap. The motor sat all night so everything was cold. I simply and slowly undid the filter where it screwed into the fuel line and not much presure was there. Had a couple of rags handy and a pan to catch the gas from the line and filter but no problem what so ever. Thanks all.

Oh yeah, changed the plugs too. 20 mins tops with a 5 min break.

Thinking about changing the EGR value now. Hmmm. :naughty:

Hansnet
03-28-2005, 03:04 AM
why are you thinking of changing the EGR valve? why not go to more important stuff like replacing the O2 with a REAL DELCO UNIT and looking/replacing sensors on the TB?????

Yeah better to remove the fuse in the pasenger side fuse box *I assume that is where the fuse is on the L36*.

Better to take the fuse out and let the car die by itself, then going to the schrader valve to make sure no pressure or fuel is in the lines.

2 years ago I was driving an Olds 98 and the guy at Midas got quite the shower when he just started unscrewing the bolts WITH THE BATTERY CONNECTED.

Add your comment to this topic!