Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aftermarket XM radio in 01 XL?90

rodeojames
03-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Does anyone have experience w/ aftermarket XM radio? I'd like to find something to fit in place of the audiocassette player down low in the console of my '01 XL. Any suggestions?

Eggert
03-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi.
The external tape player connects the the CD head unit using a PROPRIETARY cable and connectors and the external tape player is NOT easily replaceable. There are NO standard RCA connectors on the CD head unit. The CD head unit also is not XM ready. Also, if I remember right, not all speakers are 4 Ohm.
Just don't mess with it unless you want to yank the whole stereo - the CD head unit, amplifier, cassette unit, subwoofer and the other 8 speakers.

The easiest thing is to do what I did:
Get an XM unit and get the XM car kit. It has a magnetic antenna that you stick on the roof and run the wire under the windhield gasket across and down the pillar and then under the dashboard.
If you do not have Onstar then you have a cubby hole to the right of the radio. This is the location for the Onstar buttons and switches for auxiliary equipment like the roof beacon.
You can pull that cubby out and get 2 blank cover pieces that fit the opening. Then mount the XM cradle there with the supplied double stick tape.
Power is through a cigarette lighter plug, interface to the stereo is through a cassette adapter. It looks like a cassette tape and has a wire that plugs into the cradle.
You select the XM 'tape' by pushing the CD button on the radio twice. It toggles between CD and tape.
You are all done and can take the XM unit out of the cradle and move it to other XM kit devices like a boom box kit or home stereo kit.
Remember that each XM device has a serial number that will cost you a monthly fee.
So the one unit and different cradles save you money.
Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

ponchonutty
03-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Yep, ditto. I used the Sirius Sportster kit for mine. Later, I ended up replacing the head unit with one that had AUX inputs for direct play. Boy does it sound nice.

ex-smokey
03-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Greetings! I'm new here and also have a question concerning Sat Radio's in GMC Yukon’s. Mine is an 01 but not the XL version, so maybe we can cover them both??

I've got a Roady from another vehicle that we move back and forth. I'm using the same routing for the antenna that Eggert suggested (passenger side) and used the double stick swivel mount that came with the unit. It did take a little trimming, but it fit under the on-star buttons. For input of the signal I'm using the cassette tape unit. I do not have to push any additional buttons for the xm to play, the cassette takes priority, I guess.

My question is: The stock radio (AM/FM/CD) has 4 selector buttons for which portion of the headunit you want, 1 of those is for an "Aux". Is there no way to hook up an aux jack of some kind to the back of the headunit, so that I can do away with the cassette tape method?

I've done that in one of my other cars, it's an 02, but can't seem to find anything on the net, and my local parts guy at the dealer isn't into finding out for me.

If it can't be done, why have the button? :screwy:

YukonGMC
03-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Good audio / video links.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/default.asp?ForumID=0

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/home.asp

http://xm411.com/

http://www.pac-audio.com/

ex-smokey
03-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the links!

I was wondering if anyone here on the board has hooked up an aux jack of some sort to the stock radio in a 2001 Yukon SLT trim.

ponchonutty
03-29-2005, 08:45 AM
My experiance on AUX inputs and such on OEM radios is that you have to use their equipment because they have funky inputs, not regular RCA. I had this problem when the new Pacificas came out. There was a problem in production for the DVD screens. So, people got tired of waiting and bought the DVD system without the screen thinking I could just add the ones I had for sale. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

YukonGMC
03-30-2005, 06:57 AM
ex-smokey,

I have the same vehicle. While I haven't used any of the interfaces, I understand even with one ( aux in/out interface to factory radio ) there is an issue with the cassette deck (in floor console ) working properly. If you use the cassette deck might want to check into this as these interfaces are not cheap. I've decided to pull my Pioneer( XM/AM/FM/CD ) headunit and go back to factory radio. Rather have my sub, cassette, rear seat controls, OnStar working properly without all the interfaces. I'll go with a SkIFI or Roady for XM.

So in turn I'll have a Pioneer DEH - 77 ( full size, to fit complete GM opening ) and a Pioneer XM Tuner for sale. Perfect condition.
Also have a XM Ready Pioneer DEH-7300 (organic display ) new, never opened box , for sale also.

roadrageRus@hotmail.com

Eggert
03-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi,
the AUX is for proprietary external equipment.
With the (old) cassette radio this was the external CD player. With the (new) CD radio, this is the external cassette player. With the fancy Bose radio, this is the external 6CD player.
ALL of them have a special GMC cable, there are NO regular coax inputs.
Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

Add your comment to this topic!