Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How To: New Front Grille (long)

Yahnozha
03-29-2002, 08:01 PM
Props to Daniki? for the inspiration on this one. I finally got the urge to fill the large gaping holes in my front bumper after the mods I did to it when Installing the WW lip.

So I went to the local home depot and picked up two 1/2" X 12" X 24" expanded metal lathe sheets, you know the stuff for barbeques and began hacking away.

First off, it really helps to have a good industrial belt sander, tin snips, a welder, and about 8 hours of time to kill.

To make the lower portion I had to fabricate a mounting bracket that bolts onto the lower frame of the car. There are some convenient holes there that I hd to re-tap to accomodate some screws I had (1/4-20). You can see the bracket and front fillers that are there hanging waiting for the paint to dry. I rough cut the metal oversize and bent it to shape, then welded on some tabs to mount to the bracket. There is an image of the assembly out of the car.

The front grille was a pain in the @$$!! Lots of sanding/grinding to get it fitting right and figuring out how to mount it. I finally got it to fit good, and luckily the existing mounting tabs happend to be inline to weld some long screws onto the back of the grille. I also had to weld some tabs on the top to keep it in and put in a set screw right behind the hood latch to keep it in place. Not to mention the minor hood mods I had to do to get it to stay in place. Trust me, a lot of work but well worth it.

So far it looks solid and Ill check in a couple of days to see if the screws loosen.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/240546GrilleStuff.jpg

atomic-G
03-29-2002, 09:46 PM
8 hours to kill? LOL .. no thanks :).

Nice work nonetheless, looks great! You're almost making my G20 look bad ;)

95_G20_P10
03-30-2002, 12:24 AM
looking much better, but, that little emblem looks kinda funny IMO

poppy_morenito
03-30-2002, 08:53 AM
Looks great I am going to send you mine since you have a lot of time to kill ...lol:smoker:

Yahnozha
03-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by poppy_morenito
Looks great I am going to send you mine since you have a lot of time to kill ...lol:smoker:
Cool, I'll have another G to drive around then....haha

Originally posted by 95_G20_P10
looking much better, but, that little emblem looks kinda funny IMO
Thats the same emblem off of the origional grill. I dont have it installed yet. I just placed it in there for the photo. Im kinda liking it without it tho..

Originally posted by atomic-G
You're almost making my G20 look bad
Red G's never look bad..... :)

Chronos
03-30-2002, 03:35 PM
definitely gives the front a more venemous appeal, looks tough as sh!t, and i like the small infiniti embelem, but it would look good either way. sweet job.

95_G20_P10
03-30-2002, 05:52 PM
yeha i know thats from teh origanl grill, and i think u should go with out. its too small for the front like that. maybe get one of those big Q45 emblems

TIZAO
03-31-2002, 12:15 AM
Good work......the small emblem isnt bad if you put it in the corner, not the middle! :alien: :bloated: :licker: :smoka: :flash:

ni55andriven
03-31-2002, 04:51 AM
Yahnozha, is that the custom hood grill from DaKine? How does it mount onto the hood for support? is it sturdy?

CiViCtoG20
03-31-2002, 09:13 AM
good job ! looks clean. I don't think i can be patient enough and take the time to customize my own grill, but much props to you. Hey, wouldn't the front grill look tite with a Q45 emblem?? that would stand out nice and BIG !! IMO lates.

95_G20_P10
03-31-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by 95_G20_P10
yeha i know thats from teh origanl grill, and i think u should go with out. its too small for the front like that. maybe get one of those big Q45 emblems

yeah i think I just said that :flipa: :p

Yahnozha
04-01-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ni55andriven
Yahnozha, is that the custom hood grill from DaKine? How does it mount onto the hood for support? is it sturdy?
It mounts to the hood with a couple of long scres and some tabs, plus some minor hood mods. Trust me its pretty complex and I wouldnt do it that way again. I thought of an easier way of mounting it that uses the existing mounting tabs on the car, only some minor drilling will be required and it would be rock solid. I might just try another one when the time comes up.

And no, Dakine didnt make this one, I did, I just gave him props for the inspiration.

Im guessing if I were to do it over again it would take about 3 hours or so maybe less...hummmm.........

Anyone have a pic of that Q45 emblem?? Id like to see it.

Add your comment to this topic!