Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What to go for

tr0ike
03-25-2005, 03:08 PM
I'll try to keep this short ... like all of you, I'm a lifelong car nut. I finally purchased my own car about two years ago, which used up all my $ - so none for mods until recently.

Since I drive a 4cyl NA Golf, my car is clearly orientated more towards handling, rather than all-out speed ... so building the motor a ton would be a long and mostly futile exercise.

That still leaves me with many things I could do, however. I've thought about both AutoCross and RallyCross, thinking the latter would be more fun, but perhaps much harder on my vehicle.

Ultimately, I just can't decide what to do with my car ... should I concentrate only on the suspension, leaving the engine stock? Maybe a bit of both, to improve the overall vehicle? Abandon all hope and just go for pseudo-showcar status?

How did you all decide what path to take with your cars?

chexmixa
03-25-2005, 03:49 PM
I'll try to keep this short ... like all of you, I'm a lifelong car nut. I finally purchased my own car about two years ago, which used up all my $ - so none for mods until recently.

Since I drive a 4cyl NA Golf, my car is clearly orientated more towards handling, rather than all-out speed ... so building the motor a ton would be a long and mostly futile exercise.

That still leaves me with many things I could do, however. I've thought about both AutoCross and RallyCross, thinking the latter would be more fun, but perhaps much harder on my vehicle.

Ultimately, I just can't decide what to do with my car ... should I concentrate only on the suspension, leaving the engine stock? Maybe a bit of both, to improve the overall vehicle? Abandon all hope and just go for pseudo-showcar status?

How did you all decide what path to take with your cars?

Well if your going to be doing Auto X'ing its all about being in a certain class. I would not suggest building the motor up a ton becuase it might move your up into a higher class wich could potentially put u at the bottom of the class. I would suggest the usual performance upgrades, Cams, intake, header, and exhaust. After that i would leave the engine alone. I would do as much to the suspension and brakes as you can. There are no restriction on suspension and brakes. Just HP, so give your car a lil extra umph but mainly concentrate on makeing it lighter and handle better.

TheStang00
03-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Well if your going to be doing Auto X'ing its all about being in a certain class. I would not suggest building the motor up a ton becuase it might move your up into a higher class wich could potentially put u at the bottom of the class. I would suggest the usual performance upgrades, Cams, intake, header, and exhaust. After that i would leave the engine alone. I would do as much to the suspension and brakes as you can. There are no restriction on suspension and brakes. Just HP, so give your car a lil extra umph but mainly concentrate on makeing it lighter and handle better.

along that note... if ur gonna do that it might not be a bad idea to find out what the hp ceiling is for your class to, and upgrade right to the max.

CassiesMan
03-25-2005, 05:16 PM
I'd go ahead and just get some basic airflow mods-intake, exhaust, headers, throttle body, chip, whatever. With suspension, it really depends on how much you have to use, and if its gonna e a daily driver or not.

Add your comment to this topic!