Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trunk Leaking ? - need input please

618stanley
03-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Good Afternoon all, and have a happy Easter.

Learning a lot from the forum on my / my sons 92 euro 3.1. THANKS VERY VERY MUCH !

Today again ( 2nd time since purchased) I noticed a wet spot inside the trunk. The specific location seems to be at the rear middle section of the trunk area. For lack of better wording it appears to be directly below the lock mechanism where the bottom carpet meets the carpet that is attached / covering the tail light area. We had about a 1/4" or so of rain here in Illinois last night, but my son drove the car as well so I don't know if it's a top down or bottom up leak.

Yes it does have a rear spoiler on it .

I have noticed some type of "adjustment bar" attached to a slotted assembly at the front hinge area of the trunk lid... don't know if this means anything so disregard if it's nothing. I wanted to give all info with this first message. From my bottom inspection in oil changes / rear brake inspection it appears to be a solid car with no rust areas.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stan

jeffcoslacker
03-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Water can travel a long way from where it gets in. The best way to find it (and it involves a fair amount of trust) is one person gets in the trunk with a flashlight and the other soaks the car with a hose. If you can spot it while it's running in, it's much easier to figure out where it comes from.

Jonn
03-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Good Afternoon all, and have a happy Easter.

Learning a lot from the forum on my / my sons 92 euro 3.1. THANKS VERY VERY MUCH !

Today again ( 2nd time since purchased) I noticed a wet spot inside the trunk. The specific location seems to be at the rear middle section of the trunk area. For lack of better wording it appears to be directly below the lock mechanism where the bottom carpet meets the carpet that is attached / covering the tail light area. We had about a 1/4" or so of rain here in Illinois last night, but my son drove the car as well so I don't know if it's a top down or bottom up leak.

Yes it does have a rear spoiler on it .

I have noticed some type of "adjustment bar" attached to a slotted assembly at the front hinge area of the trunk lid... don't know if this means anything so disregard if it's nothing. I wanted to give all info with this first message. From my bottom inspection in oil changes / rear brake inspection it appears to be a solid car with no rust areas.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stan

I wish you good luck on finding it, my 91 trunk leaks as well, i have done the flashlight/water trick, nothing around rear window leaking... Also took off the truck weather strip and reglued it all, still leaks, took out tail light assembles and sealed with silacone sealer, still leaks...Ckecked every body seam i could find back there, dug out some loose factory pucky and resealed thsoe, still leaks. I spent a week trying to fing the cause, and still havent found it. May try again when summer gets here. I have fixed lots of leaks in bodies and never have a i saw one like this that cant be found. So the quest continues....

Add your comment to this topic!