Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gain setting tutorial

sr20de4evr
03-24-2005, 08:39 PM
This seems to be a common problem on forums, and without totoro's site we really don't have any solid resource to link people to when they ask how to do it, so I figured I would make one. I just made it last night at 3am so if there are any problems let me know and I'll correct it. If you have any suggestions otherwise let me know and I'll look into it, I'm considering adding some sort of a FAQ section that deals with level matching and what to do with drastically overpowered equipment, but that will come later.

here it is:
http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/gain.htm

I'm posting it on most of the audio forums to get feedback so I can make it better. There are already a few parts that don't seem to flow quite right so I need to go back through and edit it, but I'll let people critique it as-is for now.

TFFantasy44
03-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Looks good and I like the printability. In step 6 of the setting gains w/ the oscilliscope, you should turn the www.bcae1.com into a hyperlink. The examples on everything are great, too. Awesome job, sr20!

sr20de4evr
03-25-2005, 12:35 AM
thanks, it's fixed

anything else?

balls_to_the_wall
03-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Lookes pretty good to me, I learned a thing or two when I read it, (although me learning something about audio isn't all that hard....)

Good job

-Ryan

PaulD
03-26-2005, 02:01 PM
looks good to me too ...... I use a little hand help amp instead of the oscilloscope. The first time you hear a 1KHz "all 1's" tone at clipping you always remember what it sounds like. Best of all, it costs less than $20 and is small and convenient to use.

Add your comment to this topic!