Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

82 S10 won't start...

DBSS_Gohan
03-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Ok, my 1982 S10 with the 2.8 carburated V6 will not start... it will try and try, but it seems to have some big intake backfires or somthing... I hear a big pop... and there has occasionaly been a flash or two from there.... and I have no idea what the problem could be. It will somewhat start... but very soon die, generaly, it will start, and start to run just a little bit, have an intake backfire (I think thats what it is at least..) And die. All in about 3-5 seconds. Doesent really ever last any longer than that. I just replaced the spark plugs, and wires.... And cleaned the carburator as much as I could. And I've been trying to figure it out.. but to no avail. Can anyone figure out why my truck won't start? Has seemingly backfires out the carbs... and wont run for longer than a few seconds if it does start? ty in advance...

OverBoardProject
03-24-2005, 01:08 AM
you could probably use a new cap and router.

Check the wires again. Your firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 #1 is front passenger side.
And check the timing

maspoon
03-24-2005, 01:18 AM
also check the timing

DBSS_Gohan
03-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Alright, I'll check the plug firing order, but the timing, this is a lifter motor right? I'm not seeing any camsprokets, how do I check the timing on this car?

OverBoardProject
03-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Your right, there are lifters in that motor.

You'll need a timing light for this, plus a special wrench for loosening off the distributer shaft so you can turn it.

Loosen off the shaft just enough to be able to rotate it by hand. Make a mental note of where it's pointing.

Hook up the timing light to the battery, and the #1 plug wire. Make sure that the cord won't get caught in the fan belts or anything that turns.

Start the truck, If it won't start get someone to turn the key while you slowely rotate the distributer until it starts. It could be out either way.
If it doesn't start point it back where it was and tell us. We'll try thinking of something else.

The timing mark is on the front drivers side of the engine. If you look down to the bottom fan belt pulley system it's located on there. You should see some object with some numbers on it. It looks like a horse brush... or lots of points.
If you line up the timing light so you are looking straight down there you should see a line on the pulley system as it flashes.
If you don't see it shut off the truck and clean the pulley thing (it's actually called a harmonic balancer) If it's like my 2.8L there are 3 lines carved in it, clean all 3 so you can easily see the mark

Now fire it up, and try again. Rotate the distributer until the mark lines up with the # that your diagram on your fan shroud shows you (it's close to your right side of the horse brush thing)

When it's at the right spot tighten the distributer back down, and check the timing 1 last time. Make sure that it's right

It's easier than it sounds, and good luck

OverBoardProject
03-24-2005, 07:59 PM
If you don't have the sticker on your fan shroud let me know, and I'll look at mine and tell you what the timing was in 85 (probably the same)

maspoon
03-24-2005, 11:48 PM
youll defenatly have to get in there and use a pieace of emry cloth or something to clean the harmonic balance like overboard said.
Also you should get a hayns or chiltons repair book and use that when doing this because im not sure for an 82 but if the timing is computer controlled then you have to bypass that to set the base timing, but like I said not sure for an 82. my 89 is computer controlled. good luck and please let us know what you find out.

maspoon
03-24-2005, 11:49 PM
the repair book will also tell you what the timing will need to be set at

Add your comment to this topic!