Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

driver side wet part 2

s426
03-23-2005, 10:34 PM
hello every one
its driving me crazy that i can not get to the cause of the leak into the car.
here what i did after i posted last time.
i took the vent grate off, i seald around the vent opening that after i clean around it.

i resealed all GM sealed lines under the grate.

i blew air into the drain nozzle <took advantage the car was on the lift for 4 struts job+4 tires>.

i sealed all door hinges.

i took the car fender rim +plastic cover above the the tire and sealed the original sealed side.

i took the fan copartment off looked inside, the one on firewall,nothing there.

i sealed all doors mouldings and wind shield molding,

i sealed the parts under the hood where hinges are ,

i sealed where TV cable coming from firewall,also the hood cable on fire wall,

there is two things left is to get to the lower plastic box where the drain nozzle is, HOW TO DO THAT?, hope not to take dash board off,
second reset the windshield and reseal it, i doubt that will fix it .

i forgot to mention that i`m getting the rain water to the car. and windshield fluid if i use the wiper, it doesn`t matter if i`m driving or its park.

i`ve noticed a few small heads screws a long the firewall where the alominum sheet covered the fire wall, if i took them off will that drop the drain box.
the reason i`m saying that is after i blew some air to it, then i put water on windshield it did not come from the nozzle it came out the alominum firewall cover, so i thing there is some there wont let water go to the nozzle.
thank you i need help. thanks again

wrightz28
03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Trying to make heads or tails out of all that, what I'm gathering is you have a problem with water being in the drivers front only? And when it's raining or you use the sprayers? Is there one location more than others that seems to get the most water? My first guess would be a leaky windshield. You didn't what year we are talking about, but on the two I've owned I found at the top center of the widnshield the seal was cracked on both. And both had different charateristics. One leaked water straight down the windshield and into the headliner. The other had water traveling along the winshield edge and then down the A pillar and onto the floor. Also check the drivers side windshield molding, they tend to lift up and do the same. Black RTV sealent works just fine.

s426
03-24-2005, 11:04 AM
hello thanks for reply
its 97 lesabre limited.

what is the right way to check the drain box? whitch is located beneath the firewall,

s426
03-30-2005, 01:21 AM
hello every one
it rain for two days, and i got a lots of water inside the car,
i took the carpet off, i dried every thing,
my next move was to get to that corner drv side below the wiper`s motor , i took the fender off, i found that GM seal was very bad, so i trimed it clean around it, in a few spots,

then i seald it with gap filler.
here two pix after i trimmed the edges in all corners,
after a few hours, i tested was ok no water coming inside,
i may post pix after i put the filler.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs22&d=05133&f=P1010009-1.JPG

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs22&d=05133&f=P1010006-1.JPG

atakordie
03-30-2005, 10:36 AM
I am dealing with the same problem in my 1990 lesabre. I read somewhere that this is common problem in the '90 model; I would have thought they'd fixed that by '97. Anyway, mine seems to leak much worse if I park with the nose of the car pointing downhill. I've gotten as much as 2 inches of buildup above the driver's floormat. It's gotten to where if I know it will rain, I move the floormat to the passenger side so the carpet dries faster. I've poured water all over the windshield and fender and wiper area, and I can't find where it's coming in.

The article I read about common problems in the 1990 said the driver's side leak was left-fender related, though it offered no solution. I can't figure this out, so if you do, please post what you think solved the dilemma.

s426
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM
I am dealing with the same problem in my 1990 lesabre. I read somewhere that this is common problem in the '90 model; I would have thought they'd fixed that by '97. Anyway, mine seems to leak much worse if I park with the nose of the car pointing downhill. I've gotten as much as 2 inches of buildup above the driver's floormat. It's gotten to where if I know it will rain, I move the floormat to the passenger side so the carpet dries faster. I've poured water all over the windshield and fender and wiper area, and I can't find where it's coming in.

The article I read about common problems in the 1990 said the driver's side leak was left-fender related, though it offered no solution. I can't figure this out, so if you do, please post what you think solved the dilemma.

hello.
try to set in the car when it rains to see if it coming under dashboard,drvs side and passenger side too,and all corners under dashboard lift off the matt to get clear view.

if not coming from dash area,thats mean its coming from back or side panel rim above the door.

before i got to find where it is on mine i sealed all the holes where the the door rim bolts sets<i used ployurethane>then i put the bolts back,also i did the rims left and right for windshiled.
and the step plastic matt beneath the door .

it gets more water when it downhill, do you get water in passenger floor drvs side, also you must take the back seat off <the base>to see if its wet,
if it is wet that mean you getting water from the trunk and its travel to the front floor drvs side,

s426
04-02-2005, 12:51 PM
hi .
i`m happy , it rained for 24 hours . i checked on car. was no water at all.
thanks GOD.

GM need to do better on sealing the corners between the outer firewall and inner firewall.

atakordie
04-03-2005, 04:44 PM
s246, are those pictures you posted taken of the inside of your fender, after you removed it? or is it under the wiper at the dash?

s426
04-04-2005, 04:28 AM
s246, are those pictures you posted taken of the inside of your fender, after you removed it? or is it under the wiper at the dash?

hi they after i moved the fender, and the vent grate was off too.
i cut and cleand the GM rubber filling foam because was bad.
then i put the gap filler, i used the glove to paste down into the cracks <outer cracks> and from the top under the wiper mount all around. i did paste the gap filler this way dont raise too high and stop the water from running freely, it foamed high enough to fill the cracks.

Add your comment to this topic!