Should I buy Lexus IS300 as my next car?

TKL
03-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Hello, Everybody!

Here is my question: Should I buy IS300 as my next car or not ? Currently I drive 02 Honda Civic LX auto. I don't really like this car, in fact this car sucks, sucks big time! Acceleration especially bad, takes forever to get it off the stop light, the car seriously lacks power. Handling is kinda numb too.
See, I live in Wisconsin, so I think this might be the problem, because I heard IS300 really sucks in the snow. I don't know much about cars and can't do any repairs myself. Main reason I choose this car is because it's suppose to be powerful and fun to drive, at least people say so(I didn't test drove it yet) and reliable(it's Lexus!) rear combination and I also love the design,not the new, upcoming design though. I'm thinking to buy used 3-4 year old car with auto.

So what do You guys say? Should I make a big step or settle on something simple, like Mazda 3 ?

silentscreams85
03-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Hello, Everybody!

Here is my question: Should I buy IS300 as my next car or not ? Currently I drive 02 Honda Civic LX auto. I don't really like this car, in fact this car sucks, sucks big time! Acceleration especially bad, takes forever to get it off the stop light, the car seriously lacks power. Handling is kinda numb too.
See, I live in Wisconsin, so I think this might be the problem, because I heard IS300 really sucks in the snow. I don't know much about cars and can't do any repairs myself. Main reason I choose this car is because it's suppose to be powerful and fun to drive, at least people say so(I didn't test drove it yet) and reliable(it's Lexus!) rear combination and I also love the design,not the new, upcoming design though. I'm thinking to buy used 3-4 year old car with auto.

So what do You guys say? Should I make a big step or settle on something simple, like Mazda 3 ?

well do you have anything else in mind to compare the is300 to? considering another car? it all depends on how much youre willing to spend. yes its reliable (anything made by toyota will last you a long time). IMO go take a test drive first. its very hard to answer your question without more specifics. the mazda 3 has been praised alot...its also supposed to be fairly quick and fun to drive. if you wana spend less money..take the 3. but id rather have the lexus ^.^

TKL
03-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Well, I don't really have nothing to compare it to. I guess I'm gonna have to go and test drive a bunch of cars. I like BMW 3,Audi 4 and Infinity G35 but I heard they aren't very reliable and affraid of costly repairs. I was also thinking about Scion tc,Tiburon,Elantra,Celica and Eclipse.
The most important things in the car for me would be: Power, Good Acceleration, Smooth Ride, Fun to Drive and Reliability. Lexus IS 300 should meet all of this, I'm asuming.
Right now I don't make much money and staying in a small league(Civic,Corolla,Sentra etc...), niether have a lot of money to spend on the car, nor for repairs. But I'm gonna be needing new car in the autumn of 2006 and by that time situation might improve and I will be able to shell out about $10K-12K for a 2001-02 IS300. I really like design of this car! But, I should obviously go test drive it first.

Thanks for your answers !

silentscreams85
03-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Well, I don't really have nothing to compare it to. I guess I'm gonna have to go and test drive a bunch of cars. I like BMW 3,Audi 4 and Infinity G35 but I heard they aren't very reliable and affraid of costly repairs. I was also thinking about Scion tc,Tiburon,Elantra,Celica and Eclipse.
The most important things in the car for me would be: Power, Good Acceleration, Smooth Ride, Fun to Drive and Reliability. Lexus IS 300 should meet all of this, I'm asuming.
Right now I don't make much money and staying in a small league(Civic,Corolla,Sentra etc...), niether have a lot of money to spend on the car, nor for repairs. But I'm gonna be needing new car in the autumn of 2006 and by that time situation might improve and I will be able to shell out about $10K-12K for a 2001-02 IS300. I really like design of this car! But, I should obviously go test drive it first.

Thanks for your answers !

well the bmw 3 is a great car..too bad the euro imports repuations are dropping ( in terms of reliability) the audi would be great..but id take the g35 coupe...scion tc (great car :bigthumb: yes i do own one) wouldnt reccomend the elantra though the rest should be fine...so yea definelty drive them and thoroughly research before...

1noless
03-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I currently own a 2003 IS. I love cars in general including the A4, G35 coupe, and BMW 330, but I went with the IS because of quality. cost, and there aren't many in Colorado. I also found a lot of good advice online (is300.net) so I knew if I wanted to mod the car I would have a "world of friends" to help me.

With that said, I drool everytime I see a Scion TC. I'm trying to talk my wife into getting one. There should be a crap-load of aftermarket parts for the Scions soon (including s/c), but I think the TC is "hot" as-is.

I would go for the TC - inexpensive, Toyota quality, looks great, and aftermarket products.

TKL
03-29-2005, 05:06 AM
I currently own a 2003 IS. I love cars in general including the A4, G35 coupe, and BMW 330, but I went with the IS because of quality. cost, and there aren't many in Colorado. I also found a lot of good advice online (is300.net) so I knew if I wanted to mod the car I would have a "world of friends" to help me.

With that said, I drool everytime I see a Scion TC. I'm trying to talk my wife into getting one. There should be a crap-load of aftermarket parts for the Scions soon (including s/c), but I think the TC is "hot" as-is.

I would go for the TC - inexpensive, Toyota quality, looks great, and aftermarket products.

Why would You want a Scion tc, if You've got the Lexus IS300(and almost new too) ? No offence, but Scion is oriented for the very young people and You said You're married. Wouldn't it look funny, unless You are a young couple. Not trying to teach, just word of advise. But regardless tc is definetily a looker !

About your car. You said, you are from Colorado. How's it driving IS300 in Colorado? I've heard, it's a lot of snow out there and IS300 isn't so great in snow weather. Do You use winter and summer tires or all-season tires? I from Wisconsin, and honestly I'm a little affraid to buy this car because of that, my current car is totally suck in the snowy weather on it's stock tires, and I don't want this situation to get even worse !

Thanks for advise !

1noless
03-29-2005, 11:38 PM
I like many cars. Just because I drive an IS doesn't mean I have to stop liking other cars. I think it would be fun to have a TC in the garage. It would be hella fun modding it too. I don't drive my iS to work everyday (public transportation) so it would be nice to have a daily fun car.

Yes, I'm married. Are you saying young people can't get married? :o) My wife and I don't sit around the house peeking at the neighbors lawn. We snowboard, see local bands, get drunk, camp, etc.

I don't care what age-group a car is targeted for, if I think it looks good then I think it looks good! My perrogative, my money, my life. Don't tread...

Yeah, I was afraid to drive it in the snow for a long time, but I found out that if you have good snow tires, then driving in the snow isn't a problem (except your car gets very dirty). The car has a "snow mode" which cuts the power to the wheels significantly. I don't think you can get past 30 mph in 3rd gear with snow mode on. I drove on an icey highway in morning traffic once (you could actually see the ice covering the road) and I was scared to death that I was going to get stuck or slide around. The snow tires, snow mode, manual trans, and traction control, all worked beautifully.

Get good snow tires. Don't rely on all-season tires to save you. Snow tires!!

Later.

1noless
03-29-2005, 11:53 PM
About your car. You said, you are from Colorado. How's it driving IS300 in Colorado? I've heard, it's a lot of snow out there and IS300 isn't so great in snow weather. Do You use winter and summer tires or all-season tires?

I don't drive in the snow unless I absolutely have to. But the few times that I have driven in the snow, one of which was a major snow storm, I made it to work and home safely. It doesn't snow in Denver all winter long. I'd say the city gets less than 20 days of snow a season (rough estimate). And with the altitude, the snow doesn't stick around for too long.

Yes, I have summer tires and winter tires. Yokahama Parada Spec 2 for the summer and Pirrelli Nero Zero Mud and Snow for the winter.

Honestly, if I didn't take public transportation to work, and if my wife didn't have a 4WD, then I probably would have gotten something else besides a RWD car. But with 300+ days of sunshine, I couldn't pass it up.

TKL
03-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Get good snow tires. Don't rely on all-season tires to save you. Snow tires!!

Later.

Where do you do all the maintenance on your car? In the Lexus dealerships, chains, your trusted mechanic or by yourself? Is it costly to keep Lexus, wouldn't it soak me dry if I buy used one ?

Also about tires. If I'm gonna use winter and snow tires, should I also buy set of extra wheels put a tires on them and change my wheels myself in between or let grease monkeys to mess with my tires every time? I think it would be smart and cheaper than pay for mounting every time, wouldn't it?

What do You think about Nokian tires? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them, but wouldn't they be too harsh for a IS300 ?

Sorry If I ask too many questions , but I've never owned luxury car before, thus don't know anything.

1noless
03-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Where do you do all the maintenance on your car? In the Lexus dealerships, chains, your trusted mechanic or by yourself? Is it costly to keep Lexus, wouldn't it soak me dry if I buy used one ?

Also about tires. If I'm gonna use winter and snow tires, should I also buy set of extra wheels put a tires on them and change my wheels myself in between or let grease monkeys to mess with my tires every time? I think it would be smart and cheaper than pay for mounting every time, wouldn't it?

What do You think about Nokian tires? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them, but wouldn't they be too harsh for a IS300 ?

Sorry If I ask too many questions , but I've never owned luxury car before, thus don't know anything.

Don't worry about all the questions. I'm glad I can help a little.

I'm part of a car club in Denver, so we work on our cars in each other's garages. I don't go to the dealer unless something under warranty breaks. So far so good. :O) There's a garage that only works on Toyota/Lexus cars in Denver - that's where I take my car for regular maintenance things. That way I have receipts (proof) of the work done.

If you're concerned with the upkeep of a car, I would suggest checking out the NADA book or something that can give you used-car resale information. I think cars that don't require a lot of maintenance tend to re-sell for more money. Basically, they don't depreciate as fast.

Car maintenance would be more expensive in a higher priced car - luxury or not. Some friends have told me that they have gotten parts cheaper at a Toyota dealer than the Lex dealer. I've only taken my car in for regular oil changes (even with synthetic oil), an alignment (after installing shorter springs), and the 15K service. I'm not saying you should run out and get a Lex, I know there are other cars that are very low maintenance as well. Just do some research. Your best bet is to check out car forums on the web to see what problems/fun people are having with their cars. Maybe there's a car club in your area that would help you with maintenance and mods. For info on the IS300, check out is300.net - maybe there's someone there from your town.

I have 2 sets of wheels. All are mounted on their appropriate tire (winter/summer). Living in Denver, snow can fall today and be 70 degrees in 2 days so I change my wheels at home as needed. Sorry, I don't know much about Nokian tires. I did a search on is300.net for "nokian" and I saw a few good comments about them.

Add your comment to this topic!