Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do you think my Tranny will last?

ajporter03
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I just had my 2003 ZX5 in for some work. This is the exact quote from the ford dealer that fixed it.

"customer states the trans is shifting hard between 3 & 4th gear mainly when pulling a hill & getting close to the top (really slams into gear) happens other times when just shifting in different gears road test to verify concern. Used WDS and performed EEC test got all pass codes. Checked pressure and found all pressures in specs. Removed pan and found metal. Removed valve body and inspected for damage. Found the solenoid body gasket plugged and solenoid sticking. Replaced the shift solenoids and gasket. REinstalled the solenoid body and retorqued to spec. Refilled trans and post road test to verify repair. Trans shifts good."

I bought this car brand new and it only has 12000 miles on it. It has had this problem all along. I didn't even think there was a problem, I actually had the car in for the heated seat recall and I thought I would just mention something about it. I was really surprised that there was this big of a problem. I got the car back and it doesn't seem to shift as smooth as it should, so I went to some ghetto used car dealership here in town and test drove a beat up 2002 focus lx with almost 50k on the clock. It shifted so much smoother than mine. So I guess my question is, do you guys think that I still have a problem. And do you think that the transmission will last. I bought this car expecting to drive it into the ground. I expected it to be 10-15 years down the road. Not just on year and 12000 miles later.

nose-gobblin
03-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Since this tranny is auto, and the quote from the dealership didnt say naything about it you might ask the following. Did they replace the tanny filter and give it a tranny flush. These two things are the most likly cause of hard shifting. have thise done shouldnt be more then 80 bux or so.

ajporter03
03-27-2005, 11:23 AM
What I really want to know is do you think that the transmission will last a long time, or am I going to keep on having problem after problem?

Mustangman25
03-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I would take it to another dealer, and have them look at it...if nothing happens from that, then prehaps a warrenty claim (cross your fingers) or a lemon law might cover you.

nose-gobblin
03-27-2005, 06:37 PM
you cant tell untill u flush it then if it shifts normal it hsould be fine. although u stated above that they found metal shavings, this is not good. Even a flush cant replace what was chipped off.

ajporter03
03-27-2005, 10:45 PM
I am going to call the dealer that fixed it the first time and find out if they did a tranny flush. And then I think that I will take it somewhere else. It almost seems to be shifting worse than before I took it in to get it fixed. It now seems to have a hard time shifting between 2 and 1st gear when you are slowing down. Thanks for all the advise.

ajporter03
04-03-2005, 10:08 PM
I took my car in to the same place that fixed it before. They say that they can't find anything else wrong with it.

Do you think I should sell it and buy a Civic?

Mustangman25
04-04-2005, 03:16 PM
If no one can figure out the problem, then I would certainly consider buying a Civic...you can't kill those things. You may have a hard time selling the car, at least to someone who would be able to notice the tranny problem when driving.

Add your comment to this topic!