Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which Transmissions?

j_39x80
03-23-2005, 09:50 PM
As I am in the market for a used car I have been looking at a couple of Impalas and I have heard that there is a certain transmission that has lots of problems and that I should watch out for. Which years and which transmissions should I watch out for and which are the good ones?

Pat_OD
03-24-2005, 06:12 PM
it doesnt seem like the year has anything to do with it from what i've seen but i know the tranny attached to the 3.4L has a lotta problems. It may hhave something to do with what factory it comes from.

impalaguy2
03-27-2005, 09:54 PM
As I am in the market for a used car I have been looking at a couple of Impalas and I have heard that there is a certain transmission that has lots of problems and that I should watch out for. Which years and which transmissions should I watch out for and which are the good ones?

that's not true. both engines ues the same 4T65E trans with different electronics. (as well as most W body GM's like the bonneville, GrandPrix, Lesabre, Regals and more)
if u want a heavy duty trans u can try and get the police package that comes with the 4T65E HD.

Pat_OD
03-29-2005, 01:38 PM
the 4T65E HD only fits the 3.8L engine at least this is what a few mechanics told me

MCO_Death
03-30-2005, 04:02 PM
the 4T65E HD only fits the 3.8L engine at least this is what a few mechanics told me

Yes, usually its only used on the Supercharged 3.8's with most cars, but the Impala Police Package came with it as well. As best of a tranny as you'll get for the Impala... I am not sure if the LS's came with them or not, but the 3.4 certinly did not.

As for durability... Mines taken 158,000 miles of what i'd say 'hard' driving.

Add your comment to this topic!