Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Leaky Oil Filter Adapter (1997 Chevy K1500)

thecainman
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
I am trying to replace the gasket and o-ring on a leaky oil filter adapter, but it is not as simple as I had hoped. I managed to get the oil cooler lines disconnected, and I have taken the 2 thru bolts out, but the adapter is still firmly mounted. Am I missing something? Does it twist off? Should I try to pry it off? What's the deal? Any help, would help.

amac209
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
give it a little tap with a hammer.

2000CAYukon
03-24-2005, 12:41 AM
My 90 K1500 started to leak at the oil filter a few months ago. The gasket was as hard as a rock (110K miles). I ended up using a wire wheel to clean up the part of the adapter that mates with the block.

Like amac209 said, a little wack with a hammer and it should come loose.

//2000CAYukon

thecainman
03-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Great! Thanks for the responses. I have never worked on a Chevy truck before, and I am unfamiliar with this part. I didn't want to create an even bigger headache by breaking something. I will work on it after work today and let you know how it goes.

thecainman
03-24-2005, 08:37 PM
My 90 K1500 started to leak at the oil filter a few months ago. The gasket was as hard as a rock (110K miles). I ended up using a wire wheel to clean up the part of the adapter that mates with the block.

Like amac209 said, a little wack with a hammer and it should come loose.

//2000CAYukon

You guys were right! A couple of firm taps with the hammer and down it came. You were also right about the gasket being "hard as a rock". Mine was too. I'm off to the hardware store to get a wire wheel.

Did you polish the area on the block itself too. Looks like there is an impression of the old gasket material still there. I think I'll pick-up some emery cloth (or fine sand paper) and polish that surface too.

I have time because the nice person at the Chevy parts place gave me the wrong gasket and o-ring anyway, so I can't finish the job tonight. Oh well, if that's the only thing that goes wrong, I'll consider myself blessed.

gremlin96
03-25-2005, 09:54 AM
get some spray gasket remover. spray it on let it sit for a wile. scrap old gasket easy. repeat it will take a few times but it will clean off that hard gasket. if needed let it sit over night and spray it a few times a day.

2000CAYukon
03-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I used a little emery cloth to clean up the block. Spray gasket remover will work to. The important thing is to get it clean. I also used a little non-hardning gasket sealer on the gasket. Not much, just some added insurance so that it would not leak.

Mine has been leak free for a couple of months now.

//2000CAYukon

thecainman
03-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Finished the job last night. Ended up buying a wire wheel but it was way too aggressive for such soft metal. Actually scored the the edge of the sealing surface in 1 place before I realized it was going beyond the gasket material into the metal. Got some 320 grit and 600 grit sand paper and took my time working down to the metal. Used the same sand paper on the block too. Took for a 30 mile run and so far so good. Really do appreciate the help, maybe one day I'll get good enough to help someone else.

Add your comment to this topic!