Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

78 mark V coil springs

jamesmetairie
03-23-2005, 07:14 PM
i need coil springs for a 78 mark 5. and some other stuff. any one out there know where i can buy some new or used parts??

MagicRat
03-25-2005, 08:49 AM
i need coil springs for a 78 mark 5. and some other stuff. any one out there know where i can buy some new or used parts??
woo -hoo!!!
Finally, someone else here says they have a MkV. Its only been 16 months since the last MkV post, and that was placed by me.......

Okay which end of your car is floppy?? Every stock MkV will eventually lose its rear springs first. They wear out fairly quickly and they sag. Don't bother with used springs. Just a full tank of gas will have the back end sitting on the ground.

The stock springs were pretty soft to start with anyways. On my car, I used a set of Moog Cargo Coils. These are aftermarket variable rate springs and they worked great. The ride was slightly stiffer than stock, but very reasonable. I can load the trunk and car full of people with very little sag in the rear. It makes the car more useful than if the springs were just stock.

The only problem is that the ride height is about 1.5 inches higher than stock, and looked a bit odd, unless you like the early 70's hot-rod look.
However, 100 lbs of luggage or people in the back brings the height to where it should be.

The front springs are prone to wearing out too. On mine I used those little metal coil spring spacers which has helped, but new coil springs are required. IMHO stock aftermarket front springs are the way to go.

As for other parts, there is a huge Lincoln wrecking yard in Florida that will ship parts......I forget the name, but I'll look. What other parts did you need?

Add your comment to this topic!