Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Pages : 1 [2] 3

OverBoardProject
04-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I just tried it with my 85 Chevy S-10 and I seem to get noticeably better mileage, although I haven't taken the mileage.

My motor was just broken in. Plus my fuel tank, and fuel hoses are all new, so no one can say that I just cleaned out the engine causing it to run better

biglogonafrogbig
04-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I just tried it with my 85 Chevy S-10 and I seem to get noticeably better mileage, although I haven't taken the mileage.

My motor was just broken in. Plus my fuel tank, and fuel hoses are all new, so no one can say that I just cleaned out the engine causing it to run better

Thats good to hear look forward to hear your exact mileage gain

john m
04-30-2005, 02:14 PM
looks like i mis read you didn't say they were old. But if you tried that side gapping that could of been hurting more than helping, it sounded like a good idea but i tried it on my 7 hp lawnmower and it made things worse it kept backfiring when cranking and it just didn't run as good I know it could work diferent in a truck

Hi John M here. Getting ready to go to Tampa to go to some old car shows tonite(Sat in the big city). I gassed up the Torino this morning. It took 6.5 gal and I had 76.6 miles driven, all low speed, stop & go, city driving. Looks like 11.78. After this weekends driving(around 130 miles of Interstate driving) I'll average it out and, unless something drastic happens, I'm going to clean and re-install the AC-#2 plugs and go through it all again. We'll see what happens. J M

john m
05-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi John M here. Getting ready to go to Tampa to go to some old car shows tonite(Sat in the big city). I gassed up the Torino this morning. It took 6.5 gal and I had 76.6 miles driven, all low speed, stop & go, city driving. Looks like 11.78. After this weekends driving(around 130 miles of Interstate driving) I'll average it out and, unless something drastic happens, I'm going to clean and re-install the AC-#2 plugs and go through it all again. We'll see what happens. J M

Just got back in from Tampa.Filled up at the same place, same type fuel. Pumped 8.54 gal. Drove 136 miles, mostly I-95. Works out to 15.93 mpg which is a little better than the best I've gotten in the past. The one thing I have noticed is the acceleration seems to be better than it has been. I have squeaked the tires taking off from traffic lights more than in the past. I think in the am, I'm going to put the AC-#2 plugs back in and see what they will do. JM

OverBoardProject
05-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Well I haven't been able to do a mileage test yet, and it wouldn't be accurate since my girlfriend and I are off roading just about nightly.
But in 2 hours of off roading the other day (first and second gear up some pretty extreme trails, and hills a full sized 4x4 would never make it up without serious body damage) we didn't even use a 1/4 tank.
I'm guessing that we used no more 3 gallons, which is a big improvement from before the acetone.
We're both very impressed.

Plus my mom is using it in her Nissan Diesel pickup now, and she's got way more power. She's pulling up hills 1 to 2 gears higher than she could before.
There doesn't seem to be a noticeable fuel economy change in her truck though.

v10_viper
05-11-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm just finally going to try this after finding out about it over a month ago, finally got the acetone and it's 100%. Only ingredients are acetone and denatonium benzoate.

Year: 1992
Make: Chevrolet
Model: K1500 Silverado
Engine: 350 TBI/700R4
Fuel: 91 octane from the local Casey's
Mods: Straigh pipe exhaust, 2 inch into 3 inch then back into 2.5" and 3" tips; split fire spark plugs; MSD plug wires, and my dad won't tell me what he's done to it, it's pretty powerful though.
Driving type/style: Highway wise I just cruise at 65 or higher, but around town is what kills me, it's on the pedal quite a bit at most time, and on gravel roads I drive fast too.
Before average mileage: average is prolly 12-15, I haven't really averaged it out lately cuz I rarely put more than 1/4 tank in it. But on the highway I can get up to prolly 18
After average mileage: Who knows yet, hopefully a couple more mpg

It's a regular cab long box with a 3.42 rear end ratio and 225/75/16's(I know they're small) which is close to a 30 inch tall tire. I have recently done a tune up in which fuel filter, pcv valve, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and the rear diff also has new fluid in it. And just today I changed the oil, it's 5W-30 Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic. Also has new rear axle's, straight ones(ha), and new water pump with 60/40 blend. It also usually runs around 180º even with a 195º thermostat.

v10_viper
05-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Accidentally added 2 ounces for every gallon of gas in my truck and literally blew it up 10 miles later. One of the heads was completely hanging off the side, the other one cracked in half. The TBI blew off the intake manifold and put a dent in my hood and the water pump was pressed into the radiator.

:lol2: Gotcha.

Haha really though I added too much, I put like 18 gallons in my tank, there was prolly 3 or 4 in there and i added 12 ounces so yeah, we added way too much but it didn't do anything and that was a week ago. My tank is completely full now, 28.296 gallons, and I will be adding 8 ounces of acetone to my tank and I'll report at the half tank mark, with what I added before though I was averaging between 15-18 miles, guessing because I got 250 miles on a little over half a tank.

Fallen__AngeL
06-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Folks, I hate to spoil the party but adding acetone cannot increase the engergy of your fuel.

Gasoline is made up of hundreds of different hydrocarbon compounds from butane all the way up to dimethyl naphthalenes.

Now those of you who were paying attention in CA when the phase 2 gasoline came in, the gas mileage on the cars experienced about a 10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Why? Because when CARB (California Air Resources Board) changed the rules on the refineries, the product that the refineries sold in CA was a shorter run distillate with decreased concentrations of the larger molecules (more energy).

So adding a low energy compound such as acetone to your tank cannot give your fuel more energy.

What it CAN do is help clean out the crud that accumulates in old engines. So perhaps what you are experiencing is acetone cleaning the engine intake ports and such which would give you better gas mileage. But a well tuned & clean engine will not see an increase in fuel economy with acetone added.

HAHAHA, this is so hilarious.. I love when people who think they know what they're talking about spew out their logical assumptions of things and believe that they hold the word of supremacy.. I hate it when someone uses their fancy shmancy jargon to try and sound superior in knowledge to others so that those who are listening just blindly take the information without thinking twice..

what people fail to realize is:

ACTUALIZED FIELD TESTS vs. CONCEPTUALLY-BASED HYPOTHESIS

essentially, chembrad has knowledge in chemistry and believes that off the top of his head he can determine the full relationship between acetone and petroleum which, obviously, IS NOT BASED ON EXPERIMENT, BUT RATHER HIS KNOWLEDGE OF THE TWO CHEMICALS.

on the other hand, we have all these people using acetone and when doing so it shows REAL WORLD responses (ie, PHYSICALLY APPARENT RESULTS) and somehow this guys WORD or actually THOUGHTS suddenly negate all the experimental, real-world results which have come about from numerous people??? HA!

when I put an additive in my fuel and it gives me better gas mileage, no matter what ANYONE says, I got better gas mileage and their thoughts are irrelevant to the FACTS OF REALITY.

Let us all remember that there is a distinct DIFFERENCE between someones THOUGHTS/ASSUMPTIONS and someones REAL-WORLD RESULTS..

I hate people who think they know it all.. pffft

OverBoardProject
06-07-2005, 09:10 AM
All that I know is that it works.
I forgot to put it in my last tank, and holy - shit MY S-10 Blazer 4x4 IS a PIG

Fallen__AngeL
06-08-2005, 03:44 AM
exactly OverBoard, fcuk what this chembrad guy thinks he knows, it's all about using what works even if it's not understood fully!!

OverBoardProject
07-23-2005, 11:10 AM
My mom has been running Acetone on her little Nissan Diesel for about 3 months now.
Her mileage is up from 55mpg to 65mpg.

The next time that I fill up my little Topaz Diesel I'll try it too. I go 600 miles on a tank now (about 50mpg) and I'm intrested in seeing what it can do then.

Engoulevent
07-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Increased my milleage by up to 35%. Using 2 once with 40 liters of gas. I'm driving honda odyssey, I drive slowly, 50% city driving, the rest on the highway. I use K&N air filter.

Notes and questions: Noticed engine knocking, more than usual when using lower octane gas 87 with acetone. Was always using 87 octane level before I started my quest to increase milleage and my engine was also knocking slightly.
Car manual recommend using 87 octane. But since I noticed increased knocking I decided to increased octane level now at 91, knocking disappeared, engine runs even smoother, seems to run cooler than usual and it also increased my milleage. BUT I have questions: This started when I read on the internet that acetone can increase the engine heat, and this can damage the engine, any truth to this or anybody has information on this?
Notes, something is confusing, some sites reports that using acetone would eliminate knocking but it seems to have done the opposite on my car, anybody else noticed the same effect? Anybody has read anything about engine running hotter? If engine runs hotter can it damage the valves? I would be surprised that 2 once would do anything bad to the engine but when I started to use acetone I was amazed how 2 onces can increase my milleage so much, was even more surprised when I noticed that my engine was running smoother and when I noticed that it increased power, this on only two onces of acetone for 40 liters of gas. This stuff does something, to me, that's a truism. I want to better understand what's happening? I understand that apparently acetone increase vaporization therefore gas burns better, wouldn't this increase heat? I understand also that gas quality can affect my quest for better milleage, does it mean that a better gas without acetone would burn more completely and therefore increase heat? Has anybody has removed their spark plugs after using acetone because I have, and I was shocked to see how clean it was, again with only using 2 onces of that stuff, I have been replacing my spark plugs for the last 25 years. Go back to my question, anybody read anything about engine running much hotter than normal? Does this explain why the spark plugs are so clean??? Than again what about the valves?

OverBoardProject
07-31-2005, 12:56 AM
I never noticed any power increase or the engine running hotter (or colder)
From what I understand it just helps the fuel burn more like Propane.
I just like the savings.

Your obsorvation about the plugs is intresting.
I'll have to pull one in the next few days and see what it looks like. If it looks really clean I'll show it to a friend of mine that builds race motors and ask his opinion.
My engine still only has less than 6,000 miles on it though, so the plugs on an older motor might tell a different story

Chevy-SS
07-31-2005, 07:24 AM
I ran acetone for about a month, then my fuel pump went bad. That was a $600 repair. I can't say for sure if it was the acetone that damaged the pump, or the pump just wore out (96K miles), but I'm not taking any more chances with the acetone.

bduff509
08-06-2005, 09:56 PM
My '04 Blazer just went off of warranty so I thought I'd give it a shot. From new I'd been getting 19 highway & 15.8 average local driving. That's the sticker milage. I've never gotten actual advertised milage before. It's got 36,500 on it now & milage seems to be decreasing a bit. I thought I'd try a little experiment of my own before risking trashing my new car. I had read that the best mix was 3 oz./10 gal. so I tried to make a similar ratio mix on a small scale first. I only have a 50ml graduated cylinder to measure it with. Since 3oz/10gal is about 0.2% & works out to .12ml/50ml, I put about 2ml in the cyl. just to have a measurable amount. I figured if anything, having about 20 times the required amount would show damage to the pieces of old fuel line that I planned to soak in the acetone/gas mix. After a week the only change I saw was the hose was cleaner. I also soaked an o-ring in straight acetone for a week with no damage to the rubber. I don't know what type of rubber it was though. I filled the tank in the Blazer today with 169ml of acetone in 19gal of gas. I'll post my results. I don't expect to a big improvement with TBI like I would a carb but with prices like these, if I get 2-4 mpg I'll be happy. I paid $13 for the gal. of acetone. It's going to cost about $.58 per 19 gal tank. The trick is going to be keeping the right ratio in the tank to get an accurate fix on the actual gain.s

biglogonafrogbig
08-09-2005, 01:17 PM
My '04 Blazer just went off of warranty so I thought I'd give it a shot. From new I'd been getting 19 highway & 15.8 average local driving. That's the sticker milage. I've never gotten actual advertised milage before. It's got 36,500 on it now & milage seems to be decreasing a bit. I thought I'd try a little experiment of my own before risking trashing my new car. I had read that the best mix was 3 oz./10 gal. so I tried to make a similar ratio mix on a small scale first. I only have a 50ml graduated cylinder to measure it with. Since 3oz/10gal is about 0.2% & works out to .12ml/50ml, I put about 2ml in the cyl. just to have a measurable amount. I figured if anything, having about 20 times the required amount would show damage to the pieces of old fuel line that I planned to soak in the acetone/gas mix. After a week the only change I saw was the hose was cleaner. I also soaked an o-ring in straight acetone for a week with no damage to the rubber. I don't know what type of rubber it was though. I filled the tank in the Blazer today with 169ml of acetone in 19gal of gas. I'll post my results. I don't expect to a big improvement with TBI like I would a carb but with prices like these, if I get 2-4 mpg I'll be happy. I paid $13 for the gal. of acetone. It's going to cost about $.58 per 19 gal tank. The trick is going to be keeping the right ratio in the tank to get an accurate fix on the actual gain.s

Sounds good hope it works. Everythings going good in my vehicle

bduff509
09-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I finally got moderately accurate results. After running 3 tanks with the acetone I averaged 17.4 mpg. I let it run out for several tanks & checked it again & I only averaged 14.3 mpg. I live in the Lehigh Valley in Pa so it's hard to call it "rural" around here anymore. There's a lot of variation with the amounts of "city" as opposed to "highway" miles. Either way, a general 3 mpg increase is better than I expected. Especially now at $ 3.50/ gal. I had just convinced my son to try it in an old '79 chevy truck he's got & almost immediately it bent a couple of push rods. I don't think he believes me that it was going to happen anyway & the acetone had nothing to do with it.

JRT
09-15-2005, 05:10 PM
You guys might want to reset the car's computer when you switch to the acetone additive so the car can adjust to the new fuel mixture. I believe this takes about 50 miles of driving or 5 on/off cycles (trips) of driving the car.

To reset the computer follow the instructions in your manual, which is usually turning the ignition key on and off by a specified pattern. Or, just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes.

BlazerLT
09-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Just got my results back.

Year: 1995
Make: Chevrolet
Model: S-10 Blazer
Engine: 4.3L CPI Vortec
Fuel: Fuel Injected 87 Octane
Driving type/style: city
Before average mileage: 13.7 MPG
After average mileage: 16.8MPG

People are flaming me hard about this in my thread I made about it and they are saying the 0.234% is going to destoy my fuel system here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=460518

I know better though. ;)

tigeraid
09-28-2005, 02:05 AM
So I'm considering the acetone thing too... but I do like running on 87 octane. How many of you guys are doing this with 87 octane, and have you noticed problems with it?

OverBoardProject
09-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm 1 tiger, and I've never had any problems with it.

I started using it with a new motor, and a new fuel system

mnred69
10-02-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm new to this forum but I've been using acetone in my 01 neon for about a week now and have noticed a power gain but not much of a mileage gain.

Year: 2001
Make: Plymouth
Model: Neon
Engine: 2.0 litre
Fuel: gas
Mods: none bone stock
Driving type/style:ALL FREEWAY MILES this car gets driven 200 miles a day 6 days a week.
Before average mileage: around 34
After average mileage:not sure since I had a bad spark plug wire that I just replaced. Will keep you posted.

beef_bourito
10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
hey, welcome to the forum. I have been reading this thread for a while now and it seems pretty interesting. I've been trying to convince my dad to try it out (i don't have my own vehicle seeing as how im 17) but he's sceptical, plus he doesn't want to screw anything up because it could get expensive. anyways, this has been really useful and when i get my own car im gonna try it out.

compliment29
10-08-2005, 07:52 PM
HAHAHA, this is so hilarious.. I love when people who think they know what they're talking about spew out their logical assumptions of things and believe that they hold the word of supremacy.. I hate it when someone uses their fancy shmancy jargon to try and sound superior in knowledge to others so that those who are listening just blindly take the information without thinking twice..

what people fail to realize is:

ACTUALIZED FIELD TESTS vs. CONCEPTUALLY-BASED HYPOTHESIS

essentially, chembrad has knowledge in chemistry and believes that off the top of his head he can determine the full relationship between acetone and petroleum which, obviously, IS NOT BASED ON EXPERIMENT, BUT RATHER HIS KNOWLEDGE OF THE TWO CHEMICALS.

on the other hand, we have all these people using acetone and when doing so it shows REAL WORLD responses (ie, PHYSICALLY APPARENT RESULTS) and somehow this guys WORD or actually THOUGHTS suddenly negate all the experimental, real-world results which have come about from numerous people??? HA!

when I put an additive in my fuel and it gives me better gas mileage, no matter what ANYONE says, I got better gas mileage and their thoughts are irrelevant to the FACTS OF REALITY.

Let us all remember that there is a distinct DIFFERENCE between someones THOUGHTS/ASSUMPTIONS and someones REAL-WORLD RESULTS..

I hate people who think they know it all.. pffft

I agree without reliable data your just another person with an opinion.

iburnh2o
11-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I've been running acetone and other additives for years and have had NO problems. Recomended dose is too small to do any harm, yet it doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference. From what I've seen many of those not getting gains are simply adding too much.

The latest additive to cause a stir on the net is PIB... commonly found in 2 stroke oils.. It too can yield amazing results...

A growing thread on homebrew fuel additives can be found here:

http://fueleconomytips.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,26/page,viewforum/f,4/

Wayne_MS
12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Folks, I hate to spoil the party but adding acetone cannot increase the engergy of your fuel.

Gasoline is made up of hundreds of different hydrocarbon compounds from butane all the way up to dimethyl naphthalenes.

Now those of you who were paying attention in CA when the phase 2 gasoline came in, the gas mileage on the cars experienced about a 10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Why? Because when CARB (California Air Resources Board) changed the rules on the refineries, the product that the refineries sold in CA was a shorter run distillate with decreased concentrations of the larger molecules (more energy).

So adding a low energy compound such as acetone to your tank cannot give your fuel more energy.

What it CAN do is help clean out the crud that accumulates in old engines. So perhaps what you are experiencing is acetone cleaning the engine intake ports and such which would give you better gas mileage. But a well tuned & clean engine will not see an increase in fuel economy with acetone added.

Hi, everyone!

I'm one of them scientist fellers, too. They put "physics" on that funny little piece of paper I got after running out of physics classes to take, and they kicked me out. :smile:

I just (as in "thirty minutes ago") discovered AF while looking for some information on my '05 Toyota Tundra. The increased gas mileage definitely sounds interesting, but, as always, you need to keep in the back of your mind TANSTAAFL -- "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!" I'm with CHEMBRAD in being a little suspicious that something this simple would have any noticeable effect.

I've usually found after checking into claims like this that they really don't pan out. For example, all the oil additives that claim to save fuel, prevent you from getting any wear on your engine, etc. haven't stood up to formal scientific testing. If an additive was REALLY that good, the oil companies would be delighted to add it to their oil and charge a really big premium price for the service :smile: Similarly, if acetone had such a big effect on gas mileage, there would be an additional "Regular-Unleaded-WithSuperDuperAcetone" pump at every gas station. At $5 a gallon.

This said, the little I've read on this subject so far does sound interesting, and it's certainly possible that something is happening. I have an old friend who is a chemical engineer with Exxon whose primary job is trying to come up with new concoctions for improved gasoline. When I can dig out his email address, I'll definitely run this by him for comment.

(One of his pet peeves was how people who are horrified at the thought of getting any chemicals on their skin will cheerfully stick their hands into a pail of gasoline. There are dozens of really nasty compounds in gasoline that are much more dangerous to expose yourself to than a lot of common and/or exotic chemicals.)

One of the guidelines in science that helps us weed out the things that aren't worth pursuing is the saying "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." For example, if you tell me you saw two pigeons in your backyard, I would probably take your word for it. If you told me that you saw two elephants in your backyard, I would want some photos, other witness accounts, plaster casts of the elephants' footprints, a newspaper clipping about two elephants escaping from the town zoo, etc. I would want to examine the photos very closely, hopefully from the originals and their negatives, for any evidence of tampering and/or digital manipulation.

I hope no one mistakes cautiousness for aloofness and pretentiousness. Scientists have just seen so many claims that evaporated under proper scrutiny that they can't get too enthusiatic to expend their limited time and funds to investigate something that sounds like yet another wild goose chase.

If I can hear back from my chemical engineer friend, I'll post his comments here. I trust him to give me the truth no matter what position Exxon might have on the subject.

Wayne

beef_bourito
12-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Welcome to AF. It's good that you scrutinise what you hear, me, I'm going to try acetone when i get a car, i think it's great that people are getting great increases but ill be convinced when i try it myself.

OverBoardProject
12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Welcome to AF there Wayne.

I'd be very intrested in your friends research when he has the time to do it.

I would imagine theat the results would all be off the record

If his research proves what we've been finding it would be nice if the fuel companies would look into his findings and consider a formula change using the acetone.

But as always there is no simple formula to finding the perfect mixture. They tell us in their research that every car is different. 1 car might benifit the most from 1 ounce per 10 gallons, while the next car might benifit the most from 3 ounces per 10 gallons. According to this same research it looks to me like too much acetone in some cars can actually reduce the economy.

What's the solution? I don't know. Possibly them modifing the pumps with a little button to press with different ratio's.

biglogonafrogbig
12-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Well I don't know what to say other than this is still working great for me.

OverBoardProject
12-26-2005, 10:45 PM
I forgot to report, I was sceptical about using it instead of gas line anitfreeze. But I still tried it in -10F weather and I never had any problems. I can't possibly know if my fuel lines would have frozen without it though.

Zulu 1
01-05-2006, 01:50 PM
I just bought a 2006 Trail Blazer LT...had 27 miles on it....now has 985 and have averaged 19.7 MPG according to the conputer in the vehicle.

I am about to fill the tank and add a mixture of acetone to a ration of 2 oz. per 10 gal.

After I run the entire tank out I will report back and let you know how it went...after that will play with the ratio to see how that effects performance/mileage.

Zulu 1

Paddy Whacker
01-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Hello all, new to this forum, found it through my research on acetone for better gas mileage.

My truck is an '02 F250 crewcab 4x4, with a 5.4 / auto and a short bed. I barely get 9 mpg around town 12-13 on the highway. I filled up the tank with 87, about 24 gallons, and put in around 7 oz of acetone. First tank is halfway done, nothing out of the ordinary so far. I will try it for 5 fill-ups before throwing in the towel.

OverBoardProject
01-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Welcome to Automotive Forums Paddy Whacker :cheers:

In my diesel powered car it took about 1000 miles to notice a difference.

I think that it has to clean some garbage out of the system in the begining, but the cleaner the system the quicker that it appears to do it's job of saving you fuel

Paddy Whacker
01-20-2006, 02:32 PM
3 tanks for far, no real improvement, will do 2 more tanks before throwing in the towel.

534BC
01-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I just put 3 oz / 10 gallons in mine and will prove/disprove the increase in mileage claim in a few tanks also. :frown:

silverado122775
01-31-2006, 10:06 AM
I am going to try it on my 2000 Chevy. right now I get about 13-14 mpg in the city and about 17-18 hwy. So it will be intersting to see what improvements I see as well

534BC
01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
I just put 3 oz / 10 gallons in mine and will prove/disprove the increase in mileage claim in a few tanks also. :frown:

First tank = lower mileage :screwy:

534BC
01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
First tank = lower mileage :screwy:

I average 18 mpg for about 8 years now and the range is between 15-20 for short trips. This tank with the acetone has matched some of my worst tanks at around 16 mpg. I do not blame it on the acetone either.

ps I have also done a second vehicle and did not inform the driver,,,, :wink:

Monster 3.5L
02-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Don't drink the Acetone...
:banghead:

OverBoardProject
02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Don't drink the Acetone...
:banghead:

Or the gas either :lol2:

Monster 3.5L
02-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Fuel with alcohol in it reduces the effects of the Acetone. Alcohol in gas only improves emissions, gives fuel less power, and increases octane. Alcohol fuel engines burn twice as much fuel to make the same power as petrol fueled engines. Alcohol is shit for a gas additive. It should be replaced with "Acetone"! :screwy:

534BC
02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Fuel with alcohol in it reduces the effects of the Acetone. Alcohol in gas only improves emissions, gives fuel less power, and increases octane. Alcohol fuel engines burn twice as much fuel to make the same power as petrol fueled engines. Alcohol is shit for a gas additive. It should be replaced with "Acetone"! :screwy:

My first tankfull was clear gas, no ethanol. I just got done filling up for my third test and the second tank (w/ ethanol) was slightly above average. I attribute it to 1 hiway trip I took. Still testing,,,,:disappoin

Monster 3.5L
02-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Check out this site...
http://lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm
:screwy:

534BC
02-10-2006, 06:16 PM
I read the article and do not give much credibility to the author, some parts show a real misconception of what goes on in an engine. His mileage tests (methods) appear to be right in line however to get good repeatabillity and accurate data. He then however claims figures such as twice as much or double or in half or half . This is very puzzling just by a change in fuel brands.

534BC
02-10-2006, 06:23 PM
I have not voted yet (as the results are not in ) but I do have a request to change poll if possible. Run the poll up to 100% or more, and then run it negative to 100% or more. I have never posted a poll, but would be more accurate if a number was posted of the exact mpg change.

In otherwords, I have not voted and based on my first tankfull I would vote on the 0-5, yet I actually went down a few percent in mpg. Am I thinking right ?

534BC
02-19-2006, 03:23 PM
My third tank has just done identical mpg to my average. Some snow, but long trips in this tank. My conclusion so far is that acetone does nothing at all for mileage.

stangbuster
02-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Year: 1986Make:
Model: Chevy
Engine: k5 blazer
Fuel:93 octane
Mods: 406ci high performance engine with only 500 miles, 35in tires, 9in lift, dont forget the 2500 stall...
Driving type/style:Daily driver
Before average mileage: TBD (for sure under 10mpg)
After average mileage:TBD

I just got my truck done and didtn think about how much gas was going to be untill I started to drive it. Jesus I should have built a 305ci or something...Anyway...
I just filled up and will take my MPG on just gas alone. Then try it with acetone. I will let you know...
Even if it does not improve MPG at least my engine will be clean as hell...

Does anyone know if BP stations have alcohol in thier 93octane stuff?

534BC
02-20-2006, 12:28 PM
It depends on the area. Northern Ohio does.

stangbuster
03-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Well MPG is roughly 6mpg. Now for the acetone. I put it in last night and drove for a while, coldnt tell much of a difference. I will let you know later if I see improvements or problems

534BC
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
That is very bad mpg, it is bound to come up whether you use acetone or not. I think that is the problem with stuff like this anyways.

Stangbuster, nothing personal at all, but would like to take your truck for an example and even thought the circumstance may not be yours at all it does illistrate the point. Next post.

534BC
03-02-2006, 12:07 PM
k-5 with new 406 engine 500 miles and first tank or 2 gets 6 mpg.

2nd tank gets 7, 3rd tank gets 8, ect. mileage settles at 9 mpg and we all think that it is from the acetone, I'll pick on myself now. next post

534BC
03-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Here I come with a blazer that has averaged 18.5 for a number of years and just happen to be getting 16-17 for the last few monts (do not know why)

I here about acetone and try it and lo and behold after the 3-4 tank the mileage comes up to 18.5. Am I to conclude that it is the acetone? haha

stangbuster
03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
So your saying that new engines dont show their true MPG untill they have been in use for a while? If it makes a difference, I have changed the oil 4 times in the last 500miles. MOBIL 1 synthetic and fram filter.
Yea that is horrible mileage. Well, I had it built to make power and it takes lots of gas to make lots of power. I get what I paid for I guess...

How do I post pics on here? PM me PLEASE!!!

stangbuster
03-03-2006, 09:38 AM
BTW I still cant tell a difference with 1/2 tank gone. Maby it does not affect high performance applications because they are already making such high hp/tq numbers in the first place.?.?.?

stangbuster
03-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Here I come with a blazer that has averaged 18.5 for a number of years and just happen to be getting 16-17 for the last few monts (do not know why)

I here about acetone and try it and lo and behold after the 3-4 tank the mileage comes up to 18.5. Am I to conclude that it is the acetone? haha
In your application stated, I would think the acetone made a difference by cleaning carbon deposits out. I was wondering what year and model your blazer is.
I have a 93 s10 blazer(4.3L) that gets bad MPG also. I always end up ruining O2 sensors when using SeaFoam(the best) and other claimed engine cleaners for some reason. I think as it cleans out the motor the deposits coming out the exhaust collect on the sensor making it read lean, in turn dumping more fuel into the motor, then eventually it will start boggin down on the highway and running like shit. I have tested this numerous times over the past 5 years during my ownership of two seprate yet identical 93 s10 blazers. That is why I am weary of trying it in a FI vehicle like my 93 s10.

534BC
03-03-2006, 11:16 AM
So your saying that new engines dont show their true MPG untill they have been in use for a while? If it makes a difference, I have changed the oil 4 times in the last 500miles. MOBIL 1 synthetic and fram filter.
Yea that is horrible mileage. Well, I had it built to make power and it takes lots of gas to make lots of power. I get what I paid for I guess...

How do I post pics on here? PM me PLEASE!!!

That is not really my point (although I would say that the mpg will continue to come up a bit) Your mpg is really irrelevent whether it is good or bad. The point I was making was this,,,

It would be wrong to conclude that acetone (or anything else) is causing a mpg variation until the variables have been eliminated and a true baseline mpg has been established and a nice repeatability can be had.

534BC
03-03-2006, 11:22 AM

I had already established a baseline because of prior testing and know what my low and high mpg is. It varies, but for the most part you could remove my fuel gage and I could guess the gallons to fill tank within 1 gallon very easily. It is that repeatable.

If I had started my acetone testing during a 19 mpg "season" and lo and behold I use acetone and my mileage happens to start dropping to 17 (like it will normally) then it would also be wrong for me to conclude that the acetone reduced the mpg.

534BC
03-03-2006, 11:29 AM
In your application stated, I would think the acetone made a difference by cleaning carbon deposits out. I was wondering what year and model your blazer is.
I have a 93 s10 blazer(4.3L) that gets bad MPG also. I always end up ruining O2 sensors when using SeaFoam(the best) and other claimed engine cleaners for some reason. I think as it cleans out the motor the deposits coming out the exhaust collect on the sensor making it read lean, in turn dumping more fuel into the motor, then eventually it will start boggin down on the highway and running like shit. I have tested this numerous times over the past 5 years during my ownership of two seprate yet identical 93 s10 blazers. That is why I am weary of trying it in a FI vehicle like my 93 s10.

My bazy is a 95 LT 4 dr with 175,000. I have owned it for 100,000 and have tested nearly every tank of fuel for mpg (I do on all my vehicles, I know I'm a freak) I thight mine did exactly what the sticker showed. 18 and 23 hiway

stangbuster
03-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Ok I see what your saying now. Btw I just changed another variable, because I got different tires. The boggers were way too agressive tire for how much im on pavement. I think it auctually has less load on the engine without them. It looks like I will have to start my test over or do it backwards.
ABOUT POSTING PICS? <------Someone Help!!!

534BC
03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
My 4th tank update is again one of my lowest recorded mpg. It is at 15.71 and 1-2 below my average. I am done testing with ethanol fuel and filled up with 90 octane clear gas and still added the acetone for now to see if it does any better on the clear gas. I believe it to be a complete waste of time and money, ok maybe learned something new,,,:eek:

My vote so far for ethanol gas would have to be from 0 to 10% LESS mpg, but is probably right on 0 % realistically as I cannot blame a reduction on the addition of acetone. hoax so far.

Add your comment to this topic!