Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS Light SES Light Sluggish take off

kraigc
03-23-2005, 04:50 PM
On my moms car when you put it into gear it acts like it hardly wants to go but does after you really press on the gas even when you come down to a stop and take off again. What could this be.

caddydaddy
03-25-2005, 09:10 AM
You didn't mention what year car it was. But on most of the Cadillacs, if there's a problem with the ABS, which is also part of the traction control system, the car will start out in 2nd gear to prevent transmission damage. I'm sure that's the reason it starts out sluggish, it's starting in 2nd gear.

kraigc
03-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Cad Dad her car is a 93 and what you mentioned makes alot of sence her lights all started coming on at about the same time the sluggish take off started. Now she just got her car back yesterday and the $400.00 tune up did nothing to help the sputtering new plugs wires fuel filter EGR valve I dont know what else to do, the mechanic said he keeps getting a code E53 and he said that has something to do with the computer and that the computer may need replaced and that could have something to do with the sputtering what do you think. KC

kraigc
03-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Cad Dad Is there a way to disconnect the traction control and would that correct the problem. KC

caddydaddy
03-28-2005, 12:17 PM
The E053 is for a distributer signal interrupt. I'd look into that, maybe it's not getting a good signal from the computer, or power supply. It could be the computer, but I'd want to check out the distributer to make sure that it's ok.
There is a way to turn the traction control off. Is there a problem with the ABS system, or was that your other car? Can't remember! Even when the TC is turned off, the car will always start in 2nd gear to prevent transmission damage.

kraigc
03-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Cad Dad- This is on her car now is this the distributor cap and rotor that you are speaking of? if it is bad what kind of symptoms would there be. This rip off mechanic should of been able to tell if the wires and plugs was ok dont you think? he said he put it on his diagnostic machine and came up with different things,I was so upset when I got home and found out that it was not any better Thursday that I called him and gave him a piece of my mind what she paid was like 75% of her monthly income. I am not for sure if her ABS ever worked cause I rarely ever drove it. Is their much in repairing the traction control on her car? Thanks for all of your help with this!!! Kraig

caddydaddy
04-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Cad Dad- This is on her car now is this the distributor cap and rotor that you are speaking of? if it is bad what kind of symptoms would there be. This rip off mechanic should of been able to tell if the wires and plugs was ok dont you think? he said he put it on his diagnostic machine and came up with different things,I was so upset when I got home and found out that it was not any better Thursday that I called him and gave him a piece of my mind what she paid was like 75% of her monthly income. I am not for sure if her ABS ever worked cause I rarely ever drove it. Is their much in repairing the traction control on her car? Thanks for all of your help with this!!! Kraig

From the code, it seems like the distributer isn't getting power all the time, but a bad cap, rotor or plug wires would make the car run bad as well.

With the traction control/ABS problem, I can't really say unless you can find out exactly what is wrong.

kraigc
04-11-2005, 05:45 PM
We took it to another mechanic and he was really thorough on his diagnostic of the car it ended up being a $4.95 fuse he replaced it and it runs like new her gas millage is up to near 20 miles per gallon verses 10 when she took it in. He said that with that fuse out it would keep it from starting out in first gear and cause the sputtering so after 65.00 this time it is FIXED!!!

caddydaddy
04-12-2005, 07:52 AM
A fuse will do that too! I didn't think to ask if you checked the fuses. Glad it's fixed!

Add your comment to this topic!