Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Suspension POP, Thump, Wack ?

nose-gobblin
03-23-2005, 02:04 PM
When i drive, due to bumpy winter maine roads, my shocks or struts or whatever pop and thump. Now when i drive i can feel every single pebble. And a slower speeds the noise seems more prominent especially the back right one, needs shims again. Any Whoo can someone tell me waht is making that sound? hm cost for parts?

boy mechanic
04-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Hi, I'm new here and am having a similar problem. My car makes a lot of front end noise over the smallest bumps and at slow speeds, i don't know that it is more prominent at slower speeds, I just think it is easier to hear then.

I had the shocks and struts replaced all around, rotors planed, front brake pads replaced, it has new tires and alignment. It has always made this noise. I have had the car since 2003. It's a 2000. After all this work, it still does this.

I heard somewhere it could be the sway bar or control arms. Anyone know anything about this? I'm not too familiar with suspension set ups. Thanks.

Boy Mechanic

vintweed
04-03-2005, 11:51 PM
I have a similar noise in my '02 SVT Focus...it's my drivers side inner tie-rod end...worn out and sloppy.
I initially thought it might be the swaybar end links as well, but no...
Still needs to be fixed...parts is $29 CDN
Apart from the sounds we're hearing, it will also vibrate, audibily, when turning slightly right at high speeds...this goes away when I turn sharper...
Get the front of your car in the air, and check for right/left slop at the tire

boy mechanic
04-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Just an update: In my case it was the linkage on the sway bars. I had both right and left replaced. It came to $64.00 including labor, of course that may vary depending on where you get the work done. But, the car handles way better now.

rivguy
05-02-2005, 10:30 AM
I have seen a lot of sway links cause noise on these car but they don't cause poor ride - there are also messages on front upper strut mouns causing noise but again they don't cause poor ride - I have also seen quite a few rear shocks lock up and the ride is very poor when this happens - good luck

nose-gobblin
05-02-2005, 02:40 PM
when i get a chance to put in in the shop ill tell u what i C

boy mechanic
05-09-2005, 05:46 PM
"I have seen a lot of sway links cause noise on these car but they don't cause poor ride"

Well, I hate to argue with you and I really don't mean for it to come off that way, but my car takes turns a lot better now that the linkage has been replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!