Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

p0742 dtc

edmel5
03-23-2005, 12:46 PM
the code reads:torque converter circuit stuck on

is this a simple fix,or do i have to replace or rebuild the trans?

that is what the dealer told me and i don't like the sound of a 2 to 3 k repair on a car with 60k miles on it

thanks eddie

kmohr3
03-23-2005, 07:53 PM
This code does not necessarily mean that the trans needs an overhaul. It could be a problem with the TCC release switch, wiring, a stuck or defective TCC PWM solenoid, valve, etc. This stuff is located on the valve body. It's a little work to get at it, but nowhere near a full overhaul.

What model year? Other than the code, what are the vehicle's symptoms? I'll ask my trans buddy, too.

Do you trust this dealership? Maybe you should call around and see if you can get a second opinion. Or walk in the back door of the shop, and see if you can talk to their trans guy.

kmohr3
03-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Eddie, here's a quote just received from my friend that works on GM tranmissions all day, every day:

A tcc/pwm solenoid should fix this vehicle. I'd try that long before I'd overhaul it.

edmel5
03-24-2005, 09:22 AM
it is a 98 intrigue gls
autobahn package
fells like it is popping in and out of gear
i will call a dealer that we trust and then aamco
thanks for the response

99intriguePA
03-25-2005, 07:13 AM
I had the same code/problem. Aamco tried to rake me over the coals - took it in for a "free" road test and said they had to pull the pan. I said ok but that I wasn't leaving the car there. They tried to pull the old "look at all these metal filings in the pan, looks like you might need the tranny pulled and overhauled and we don't know how much $$ till we pull it apart - at least $1500". Told them put the pan back on and I'll be on my way - they tried everything to get me to leave the car there, scare tactics, etc. Finally got the car out of there, got three selenoids from GM (wanted to replace all while I had it apart), took it apart, replaced selenoids, and it worked like a charm - total cost less than $150. That was 40,000 miles ago and still going strong.
Not an EASY fix but it can be done. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. I'd try a trusted local mechanic with tranny experience before I'd take it to one of the national tranny places.

kmohr3
03-25-2005, 07:32 AM
I know, these shops are hungry right now. I know the 4T65E has it's problems that require disassembly and replacement of gears and clutches, but don't think this is one of those times.

BTW, which 3 sloenoids/switches did you replace?

99intriguePA
03-26-2005, 07:11 PM
I know, these shops are hungry right now. I know the 4T65E has it's problems that require disassembly and replacement of gears and clutches, but don't think this is one of those times.

BTW, which 3 sloenoids/switches did you replace?

I checked and only could only find 2 numbers for those that I replaced.
One is called the TCC PWM Valve #24214974 and the other is #10478146 but I can't remember what it was for (did the job in Dec. '02') so my memory is a little fuzzy. I used Alldata's site to get all my info and I believe they had a procedure to test the solenoid valves. I also made sure to clean everything up real good before putting it back together.
I had the same code and figured that if I could replace a solenoid or 2 I'd try that before letting them tear the tranny down. Like I said it worked for me over 2 years ago and still works great - and saved me a bundle!

Add your comment to this topic!