Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anyone race a Tiburon GT yet???

StageWon
03-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Just wondering. I see a few of them around, and the newer ones look pretty aggressive, but I haven't seen any racing, or for that matter, even slightly speeding. Are they anything serious, or are they just a glorified Hyundai Accent in wolf's clothing?

DeleriousZ
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
you mean the new 05's? different body styling? i think they're an x litre v6.. they're making about 160-170 hp, but i'm not too sure how heavy they are.. you'd own it no problem

freakonaleash1187
03-22-2005, 08:19 PM
yeah, i have raced one before, i beat him so bad, it wasn't even a race. don't waste your gas.

-Jared

k3smostwanted
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
yeah its a 2.7L v6 and thats the GT model...they run about a mid 15, some owners claim low 15's but i dont believe them. i ate one in my Z32 2+2 auto w/ pop and cat-back. smoked be off the line, but thats because my car eats monkey balls off the line then it decides to kick it up a notch. well anyways i caught up and passed him midway through second gear, ended up about 7-10 cars ahead by the time i hit 100mph.

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-22-2005, 11:51 PM
yah racing one woould be a waste of my time and like freakonaleash said ---->waste of gas<----

they suck so bad kind of cool only because i used to have a hyundai but that was back in my ill race anything that will race me days lol

Bdetore
03-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I remember when the Tiburon first came out. I was very impressed with the styling and that Hyundai had finally grabbed a good hold of their nuts and done something. But then I read about the engine, power, and ultimately dissapointing performance. Pretty sheet metal for the U.S. market, but still a ways to go.

k3smostwanted
03-23-2005, 05:53 PM
I remember when the Tiburon first came out. I was very impressed with the styling and that Hyundai had finally grabbed a good hold of their nuts and done something. But then I read about the engine, power, and ultimately dissapointing performance. Pretty sheet metal for the U.S. market, but still a ways to go.

but still not a bad car for the price tag and the 10 year 100k mile warranty. you cant really expect much more power with a 10 year warantee.

i think it is a very well executed car...decently quick compared to its competition, sporty, looks alright, fairly inexpensive.

overall, a great car for a wife or girlfriend...bad car to try and make a sports car. its just not gonna happen and its always gonna come up short...because thats not what hyundai engineered it for.

DeleriousZ
03-23-2005, 07:37 PM
agreed.... hyundai's aren't exactly manufactured to be race bred cars.. they're geared much more towards economy and reliability than anything else

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-23-2005, 10:31 PM
well they could be some pretty good sleepers because their known to be slow already so if some1 swapped in a rb25det with major overhaul and major modifications then it would be a sick install

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-23-2005, 10:31 PM
but i think pretty much anything would be sick with a rb25det swapped into it would be a sick install lol

Bdetore
03-24-2005, 05:21 PM
but still not a bad car for the price tag and the 10 year 100k mile warranty. you cant really expect much more power with a 10 year warantee.

i think it is a very well executed car...decently quick compared to its competition, sporty, looks alright, fairly inexpensive.

overall, a great car for a wife or girlfriend...bad car to try and make a sports car. its just not gonna happen and its always gonna come up short...because thats not what hyundai engineered it for.

I guess the thing for me is that when they first came out, they had the big "Tiburon means shark!" ad campaign and it kinda made the car sound like it was going to be a bit better. No doubt that in the last ten years or so Hyundai has completely turned themselves around from when the Excel entered the U.S. market. The cars are more reliable and better built, but they still do not measure up to most of the cars they are competing with, and as you know, most americans will pay a few hundred more for something with a little bite. If my girlfriend wanted one, that would be fine with me, but she don't get to drive my Infiniti for a crack at the wheel in one of those. Ultimately I don't think the car lives up to the exterior design it's been given.

k3smostwanted
03-24-2005, 06:49 PM
I guess the thing for me is that when they first came out, they had the big "Tiburon means shark!" ad campaign and it kinda made the car sound like it was going to be a bit better. No doubt that in the last ten years or so Hyundai has completely turned themselves around from when the Excel entered the U.S. market. The cars are more reliable and better built, but they still do not measure up to most of the cars they are competing with, and as you know, most americans will pay a few hundred more for something with a little bite. If my girlfriend wanted one, that would be fine with me, but she don't get to drive my Infiniti for a crack at the wheel in one of those. Ultimately I don't think the car lives up to the exterior design it's been given.

yeah but they still sell...and people love them. and there isnt many cars that beat it out when it comes to sporty economy car with a little kick. the GT starts out at just under $18k. last time i checked the civic ES (not SI) starts out at $17k but the SI is the one that competes with the tiburon the best in performance ans sportiness. so lets compare the SI and the tib GT, SI starts at $19k. the GT offers leather seats and more trunk and cabin space and a 6 year longer warranty, i think. i dont know...i just think it is a well engineered car and serves its purpose well. its probably just me...but im "cool" like that. :lol:

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
damn im sorry but i hate civics ...

even though i might be buying one soon though the only one i really like is the crx but tahst just me i just need to buy another car so i can start rebuilding mine..

Bdetore
03-24-2005, 10:20 PM
yeah but they still sell...and people love them. and there isnt many cars that beat it out when it comes to sporty economy car with a little kick. the GT starts out at just under $18k. last time i checked the civic ES (not SI) starts out at $17k but the SI is the one that competes with the tiburon the best in performance ans sportiness. so lets compare the SI and the tib GT, SI starts at $19k. the GT offers leather seats and more trunk and cabin space and a 6 year longer warranty, i think. i dont know...i just think it is a well engineered car and serves its purpose well. its probably just me...but im "cool" like that. :lol:

Although I agree once again that Hyundai has outdone themselves bringing the quality of their brand up so far, it is still a growing company in the U.S. If you've done any research into the brand, you know that the CEO has sacrificed prices and warranty longevity in order to bring more potential buyers to his brand. So far it is working well, and with increased quality the need for a 10 year warranty will eventually fall. Trust me, once Hyundai becomes more of a power in the market, which someday it will, the prices will go up along with the power and technology. The Tiburon is not a bad car, it simply has more potential to reach for. A 170hp V6 is not a big deal when compared to competitors who are reaching into the 200's with 4 cylinders. Look back at the first Accord. Someday the Tiburon (assuming the name stays around) will be competing with future Z's, but for now I stand by my original statement, still a way to go.
Not only that, but the Civic is not even in the same class. I don't mean on a scale from 1-10 class. It's a different car, by a different company who has spent 30 years establishing itself as one of the best in automobile builders in the world, and you pay for it.

k3smostwanted
03-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Although I agree once again that Hyundai has outdone themselves bringing the quality of their brand up so far, it is still a growing company in the U.S. If you've done any research into the brand, you know that the CEO has sacrificed prices and warranty longevity in order to bring more potential buyers to his brand. So far it is working well, and with increased quality the need for a 10 year warranty will eventually fall. Trust me, once Hyundai becomes more of a power in the market, which someday it will, the prices will go up along with the power and technology. The Tiburon is not a bad car, it simply has more potential to reach for. A 170hp V6 is not a big deal when compared to competitors who are reaching into the 200's with 4 cylinders. Look back at the first Accord. Someday the Tiburon (assuming the name stays around) will be competing with future Z's, but for now I stand by my original statement, still a way to go.
Not only that, but the Civic is not even in the same class. I don't mean on a scale from 1-10 class. It's a different car, by a different company who has spent 30 years establishing itself as one of the best in automobile builders in the world, and you pay for it.

i can agree with that...

bottom line: i think the tiburon has a lot to offer for the price. the warranty is great, the styling is good (more girly but it is a good looking car none-the-less), decent power for its price range and warranty, offers a nicely built 6 speed manual transmission which is a rarity considering its place, comfortable, and subtle enough that you can drive it everyday without getting tired of the bold extreme look.

speaking of general cars....has anyone seen the new jetta??? i dont know who the engineer was that designed that body but he has to have his head so far up his ass he cant see the image volkswagen has been building on the last decade. jeez...my biggest complaint of 2005. went from a very nice looking 4 door sedan to a dismantled car that looked like it has down-syndrome

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 11:11 PM
yah it seems al the car manufacturers are starting to get back in the performance aspect of the automotive field

DeleriousZ
03-24-2005, 11:52 PM
i really like the new gti... if only i had like a million or so dollars so i could buy a whole bunch of cars lol

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-25-2005, 12:36 AM
lol yah me 2 if i had a million dollars i have a couple cars ide love to buy

Bdetore
03-25-2005, 11:07 AM
lol yah me 2 if i had a million dollars i have a couple cars ide love to buy

I feel like an ass, because between the new house, boat, and other ammenaties I would buy, a million dollars just wouldn't support my car habit. Although it might pay for gas through December.

The Jetta? Well, I can't say I like the way Volkswagen has taken it, but over the years they have proven that some models can really perform. I'm sure they'll come up with something.
K3 mentioned the 6 speed in the Tiburon. I think in the near future we're going to see them pop up in a lot of cars. It seems like not so long ago a 6 speed was a pretty exclusive supercar trait, and now they're popping up in Jettas, Mazdas, and yes even Hyundais. I wonder what the thought is on that. Do you think 7 speeds will be popping up anywhere soon? I know that there's a very small few out there already when you get to the ranks of Aston Martin, and other cars with F1 paddle shifters.

k3smostwanted
03-25-2005, 05:40 PM
The Jetta? Well, I can't say I like the way Volkswagen has taken it, but over the years they have proven that some models can really perform. I'm sure they'll come up with something.
K3 mentioned the 6 speed in the Tiburon. I think in the near future we're going to see them pop up in a lot of cars. It seems like not so long ago a 6 speed was a pretty exclusive supercar trait, and now they're popping up in Jettas, Mazdas, and yes even Hyundais. I wonder what the thought is on that. Do you think 7 speeds will be popping up anywhere soon? I know that there's a very small few out there already when you get to the ranks of Aston Martin, and other cars with F1 paddle shifters.

yeah volkswagen makes a hell of a car or did...but the new jetta, im talking about the brand new 05 jettas. they are uglier than hell. ill pull up a pic when im done with this ...

yeah 6-speeds are getting pretty popular...but for 7-speeds, im pretty sure AMG made a 7 speed sequential automatic transmission for one of mercedes' high end sports cars.
im pretty sure the new BMW m5 has a 7 speed sequential. i dont know if its gonna come down to a 7 speed straght stick but ya never know. that alot of gears to be scurrying through. when i drive a 6 speed, i always forget that there is a 6th gear until i realize that my RPMs are alot higher than they should be at 130mph. :lol:

Bdetore
03-25-2005, 06:06 PM
yeah volkswagen makes a hell of a car or did...but the new jetta, im talking about the brand new 05 jettas. they are uglier than hell. ill pull up a pic when im done with this ...

yeah 6-speeds are getting pretty popular...but for 7-speeds, im pretty sure AMG made a 7 speed sequential automatic transmission for one of mercedes' high end sports cars.
im pretty sure the new BMW m5 has a 7 speed sequential. i dont know if its gonna come down to a 7 speed straght stick but ya never know. that alot of gears to be scurrying through. when i drive a 6 speed, i always forget that there is a 6th gear until i realize that my RPMs are alot higher than they should be at 130mph. :lol:

I've seen the new Jetta. It looks like someone washed an older Passat in hot water. Sadly, the Passat is finally starting to look better. I guess that's irony for you. As for the 7 speeds. It won't surprise me so much in paddle shifters or automatics, but it seems like 7 in a stick would be overkill. But, we have gone from 3 on the trees, to 6 on the floor. Who know's, maybe someday we'll all be double clutching it through 20-30 gears like in the big rigs.

DeleriousZ
03-25-2005, 06:47 PM
speaking of amg.. i saw the nicest mercedes today... didn't catch the model of it, all i saw was the AMG on the right rear corner of it and the 2 AMAZING looking girls in it... now that's the kind of car i wouldn't mind seeing everyday...

as for the transmission stuff, i highly doubt there will be many, if any manuals in another 10-15 years, everyone's going to the manumatic or auto trannies, there might be a few performance companies around that still want to keep the stick, but i'm thinking mainstream will sway towards the automatic side of things... people are just getting too lazy these days

cherryZ
03-27-2005, 09:23 PM
The tiburon is certainly a decent looking car, far superior to its front frive competitor the Celica, (to boxy for my tastes), then again the Tiburon has an exuse for looking half decent given that the marque has taken to blatantly ripping off other designs mostly euro brands. For example the Sonata (at least thats what they call it in OZ) is a rippoff of the Jag X-type and the Tiburon? Can anyone say 911? I don't know bout you but this rippoff styling has so far proved to be a success but the brand needs to develop its own image before it can begin to charge a premium. I heard rumours that Hyundai was goin to develop it own niche brand like Lexus for toyota. As far as performance goes the V6 Tib (i think thats GT in your market 127kw?) is decent but mid 8's for 60mph and low 16's for the quarter are closer to the mark, but stay away from the 4cylinder if you have any performance aspirations. If someone was willing to spend the cash the Tib could be quite the sleeper, it only weighs 1295kg (sorry can't be bothered to convert it into your obsolete system lol). Also it handles quite well, compared to many others in the market. Con't comment on the Jetta as we don't get them here in OZ, unless its under a different name?. Well thats just one newbies opinion... Oh yeah real men drive manuals...which is why only chicks drive mercedes...albeit hot rich chicks.

Bdetore
03-28-2005, 10:35 AM
The thing about rich girls in a Mercedes is that they aren't rich, they dind't buy it, and they would never get with you because you didn't. Eye candy is nice, but sometimes you just wanna,.....anyway, my take on the manual thing. An automatic mustang, camaro, Z, G35 coupe (If I ever get mine!!!), or >insert car here< is sacriligeous. And yes, we are getting lazy. When I set out to find my new car, I had one major criteria. 6 speed. I couldn't afford the corvette, so here I am awaiting my G35. By the way, never ship a car with a company called A-1 auto transport. As for the Australian method of measurement. I'll take the good old American mile anyday.

By the way,... what do they call the new GTO down there again? What's it like,... 6 years old?

cherryZ
03-28-2005, 04:41 PM
In Aus the "Pontiac GTO" is the Holden Monaro and its actually got a shitload of History dating to like the early sixties. But the new monaro was previewed at the 1998 Sydney Motor Show and it went into production in 2001. And to be honest it looks heaps better without the pontiac "design" team butchering it with that stupid bigass grill. I'm gonna have to agree in saying that if you own a sports car it needs to be a manual. In both Aus and America the trend is towards automatics and thats crap, i dont care how advanced the paddleshift, DSG, tiptronic i dont wanna see it in a sport car. In europe manuals, not to mention high quality diesels, are all the rage and i can only put that down to them being more enthusiastic drivers. I understand that auto's (modern high tech) may shift gears quicker, but who cares swapping your own cogs just adds to the driving experience why would you remove that for the sake of a few milliseconds (in a staight line).

Bdetore
03-28-2005, 04:48 PM
In Aus the "Pontiac GTO" is the Holden Monaro and its actually got a shitload of History dating to like the early sixties. But the new monaro was previewed at the 1998 Sydney Motor Show and it went into production in 2001. And to be honest it looks heaps better without the pontiac "design" team butchering it with that stupid bigass grill. I'm gonna have to agree in saying that if you own a sports car it needs to be a manual. In both Aus and America the trend is towards automatics and thats crap, i dont care how advanced the paddleshift, DSG, tiptronic i dont wanna see it in a sport car. In europe manuals, not to mention high quality diesels, are all the rage and i can only put that down to them being more enthusiastic drivers. I understand that auto's (modern high tech) may shift gears quicker, but who cares swapping your own cogs just adds to the driving experience why would you remove that for the sake of a few milliseconds (in a staight line).

What I will say about the paddles is, if you ever talk to someone who drives a paddle shift M3 or an even more expensive one, they are usually convinced. It's not the Paddles I hvae the trouble with. It's the manu-matics, or the knock offs of paddle shifters. I true paddle shifter is supposedly the ultimate performance, whereas the automatic is an automatic. I think there's a connection you feel with the manual that you just can't get with an auto. Even if some are flawless and smooth and all that. I'm looking forward to having my 6 when it shows up. We'll see if crappy Seattle morning and afternoon traffic changes my mind.
By the way,... the new GTO is just a disappointment. I think GM rushed it in order have some sort of alternative to the Mustang after they nixed the Firebird and Camaro. I hope they have something in the works for the future to make better on the move, but I haven't been keeping up.

DeleriousZ
03-28-2005, 05:44 PM
for those paddle shifters, i wouldn't take anything but the f1 gearboxes.... those things are mind blowing how fast they shift... i'm guessing the super fast revving f1 engine helps it but still... watching a show they did on that is amazing... they're next to instant changes... i'd hate to see the price tag on it tho..

cherryZ
03-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Nup, my dad test drove the M3 with the clutchless manual and came back disappointed. If you need further proof that automatics in sport cars are junk look no further than mighty Porsche. Their engineers designed the PDK unit for endurance racing in the 80's PDK- Porsche Doppler Kupplings basically a double clutch auto), but the basic design dates back to the 30's with Citroen engineers. However the Porsches flagship supercar the Carrera GT, fastest production car around Nurburgring, is equipped with a six speed manual. Low tech, arguably, simple, relatively, fast, youbetcha.

Add your comment to this topic!